Help Finding Summer High School Film Programs

Perry07

I need help finding summer film programs that serious in making films, and can also help me develop my portoflio for college. A place where i can really learn to make movies, and at the same time have a fun learning experience. Can anyone recommend me summer film programs that they have been too?

I know NYFA is really good, but its too effing expensive with boarding + tuition.

I havent heard much about USC's summer film prorgram.Is it any good/has anyone here been to it?

Does Chapman, LMU, UCLA have film programs?

I prefer summer programs in the california area (LA), but other states/areas are good too.

It would be great if someone could help me out!
Thanks,
Perry

First of all, I know some people love NYFA, but you couldnt pay me to go there. I went to a informational meeting about it on the Universal lot and trust me, unless you're really into using film over digital and want to shoot on a real lot that badly, dont go to NYFA.
I used to go to U.S. Performing Arts Camps for film. Theres a beginners course at Pepperdine (a great experience, its really fun) or you can take a more advanced course at UCLA (also fun, but my group sucked and the movie was terrible.) To be perfectly honest, neither one is super advanced. But they're both fairly short, 1-2 weeks i think, and you get to make a movie from scratch in a very short time and have a lot of fun doing it. I dont know how advanced you are at this point, but I'd say if you've already got a few solid films under your belt, your best bet is to make your own summer project. Hope this helps.

How much are summer programs like you describe? $1000? $1500?

For that you'd get a crappy 5-6 minute short probably shot on video, the production of which was completed as part of a motley group, randomly assembled?

Buy a super 8 or 16mm camera and do something yourself... there's no point in paying for content restrictions and forced labor.

Boston University has a pretty good one that I went to called ITRP. Of course I was there over 10 years ago - but I even worked as an instructor for the program when I went to school there.

Boston's a great town to go to school in.

-Chris
Studentfilms.com

NYFA is expensive, but invaluable when it comes to the knowledge and real world experience you'll leave with. I've never taken it, but the people I know who have can 1st AC 35mm in their freshman year at college, so something goes right there. It's a good thing to do before school.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back