Help with USC & UCLA screenwriting applications (I'm from the UK)

KatieeveD

Hey guys,

So I want to apply to the Fall 2020 admissions for the USC MFA in Writing for Screen and TV and the UCLA Screenwriting MFA. I'm from the UK and our system works really differently here so I don't really understand what I'm doing. Can anyone else who's applied to these, or just US schools in general, from the UK give me a hand with understanding what they want from me? Or just anyone else who's applied from the US who might be able to give me some advice?

Also, it asks for Transcripts from my BA except I won't have finished by the time I'm applying so I don't know how I'm supposed to do this?

Thanks!

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
Also, it asks for Transcripts from my BA except I won't have finished by the time I'm applying so I don't know how I'm supposed to do this?
Can you then give them the transcripts as is? Can you do transcripts if your degree is in progress? I'm sure that's possible.

KatieeveD

Can you then give them the transcripts as is? Can you do transcripts if your degree is in progress? I'm sure that's possible.
I've never been given a transcript so I'm not entirely sure how to get one or if they do them partway through a degree. My university aren't being particularly helpful regarding this at the moment

alanray

Hey guys,

So I want to apply to the Fall 2020 admissions for the USC MFA in Writing for Screen and TV and the UCLA Screenwriting MFA. I'm from the UK and our system works really differently here so I don't really understand what I'm doing. Can anyone else who's applied to these, or just US schools in general, from the UK give me a hand with understanding what they want from me? Or just anyone else who's applied from the US who might be able to give me some advice?

Thanks!
You should be able to request your school to mail your official transcript to USC and UCLA, make sure the right departments listed on their grad school websites, and it doesn’t have to be a completed degree. You send them the one still in progress, and then you will need to send them another one later after you’ve graduated and your finished diploma is posted to the transcript

Kira

MFA TV Writer @UCLA
Staff member
FilmSchool.org Writer

Thanks!

Hi! I applied to both USC and UCLA before finishing up undergrad. My undergrad (either call or email the academic services office?) sent out the incomplete transcripts to the various schools I applied to. It will have all of your grades and coursework up to the last completed term. It's just a way for UCLA/USC to know you will get a bachelors degree. I'll ask my friend, who attended UCLA from the UK.

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• SUNY Purchase - Playwriting & Screenwriting BA
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Quality Program
    I want to start off by mentioning that I came to Purchase as a transfer student from another liberal arts college and screenwriting program. This...
    • AlcB
  • Columbia College Chicago - Cinema Art + Science (B.A. & B.F.A.)
    3.00 star(s)
    Good undergrad craft school
    I'd like to preface this by saying I graduated a while ago. It's possible that the school has changed significantly since then so take what I say...
    • Anonymous
  • American University - School of Communication (B.A.)
    1.00 star(s)
    Very Unhappy with the Film Program
    I apologize for the very long post, but I have a lot of things to say about the Film and Media Arts department at AU. I am EXTREMELY unhappy...
    • Anonymous
  • LMU - Film & Television Production (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent choice for a well-rounded film education experience
    LMU's Film and Television Production MFA program is a great choice for students who want a well-rounded film education. You are able to make both...
    • A248
  • USC Cinematic Arts - Film and Television Production (MFA)
    2.00 star(s)
    Great Marketing, Subpar Reality
    I'm writing this review because there wasn't a lot of clear info when I was applying so I hope that this can offer some clarification beyond the...
    • Anonymous