1. The FilmSchool.org community has been helping people apply to film school since 2002. Log in or Create an Account and get your film school questions answered. (It's free!)

How do I become a film director without film school?

Discussion in 'Life After Film School - Careers & Internships' started by FalkDirector, Mar 3, 2011.

1. FalkDirector

FalkDirector New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello filmmakers from around the world.
    My name is Vadim, I'm from London. So, my question is: How do I become a film director without going to film school or Uni?

Good film schools are very-very expensive here, so I'm trying to became freelance director. I'm working on short film projects, music videos. But something is wrong. I want to move on next level, but I do not know how to do it without contacts. How do I make my name known all over the world?)

2. Jams

Jams Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Withoutabox.com is so useful for sending out your movies to festivals. The only thing you can really do is market yourself, and makes sure that as many people as possible see you and your work. If you go to a film festival, be social and introduce yourself. You never know who you're going to meet.

3. FalkDirector

FalkDirector New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you James

4. Benk

Benk New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's not easy, especially without any kind of film school.

Write a great script or idea. Pitch it to someone who would have the power to make you a director.

The best way to do this is become a PA (production assistant). You're basically the gopher on set and have to run all the errands. But you get to be near all the production. But you have communication access to everyone in the job. Pitch your idea to someone and if they like it then it could happen.

5. FalkDirector

FalkDirector New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Benk, good tip.

6. Nick02

Nick02 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Get on set, and assist directors.

• Like Like x 1