How important is it to meet the portfolio film TRT time limit?

Unseasonedwhiteboy

Supporting Member
If I can tell my story in significantly less time (because I’m using the same short film for multiple applications with different time limits) will it look bad if I am significantly under the time limit (ie 2 minute video for a prompt that has a 5 min maximum)?

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member
If I can tell my story in significantly less time (because I’m using the same short film for multiple applications with different time limits) will it look bad if I am significantly under the time limit (ie 2 minute video for a prompt that has a 5 min maximum)?
I don't think so as long as it is good and shows your storytelling chops.

I think the biggest no no would be going OVER. Definitely don't do that.

Going under should be fine as long as it meets the other standards that they ask for.

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member
Alternatively if you had a longer film cutting it down would be good editorial practice to tell the same story in less time.... But you have the opposite issue here. :)

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• International Film Institute of New York
    5.00 star(s)
    The summer intensive film program at Sarah Lawrence was fantastic. We were taught by industry professionals, whom had many years of experience...
    • Ldc88
    5.00 star(s)
    I experienced the most incredible summer at IFI, and I wish I could relive it every day! however, since I cannot , I make do by taking what I...
    • Anonymous
    5.00 star(s)
    I have been engaged with filmmaking since the age of 9 and was searching for a course that could further my knoll which is not always easy to...
    • sgabor
    5.00 star(s)
    The Sarah Lawrence Filmmaker's Collective was the top experience I've had at a summer film program. Start to finish, their top priority was that...
    • sammaggs
    5.00 star(s)
    I went into this camp uncertain of what I wanted to do in college. When I finished the five week intensive program, I knew what I wanted to do for...
    • JacobNurse