how old are you guys applying to the NYU Grad Film program? (How important is age?)

I am fairly certain that age discrimination, both based on being too old or too young, is illegal.
I don't know if the Age Discrimination Act of 1975 applies to all schools (such as Private Schools), but I'm fairly certain it does.

So, if people truly feel like they were discriminated against based on age- or anything else like race/gender- then you should consider filing a lawsuit.
I'm not a representative of the school or anything I'm just passing along opinions/rumors.

What did you study as an undergraduate?
I studied Media and Communication. I have worked in the entertainment business since graduation and interned throughout undergrad. I really don’t think that care about age. They care about experience and you application materials. I know people who got in straight out of undergrad and older people who have got in as well.

I am fairly certain that age discrimination, both based on being too old or too young, is illegal.
I don't know if the Age Discrimination Act of 1975 applies to all schools (such as Private Schools), but I'm pretty sure it does.

So, if people truly feel like they were discriminated against based on age- or anything else like race/gender- then you should consider filing a lawsuit.
Age discrimination is illegal, yes, but if an applicant is a better candidate for the position because their age has allowed them to gain valuable experience, then it's not really discrimination. People in their late 20s have more life experience to inform the stories they tell, so it's easy to see why they don't just want a bunch of kids straight out of college who have no real world experience.

Likewise, you don't have to hire an 80 year old just because they applied for a physical labor job, just to be "fair." If you have a 25 year old applicant, they would be the obvious choice between the two.

Age discrimination is illegal, yes, but if an applicant is a better candidate for the position because their age has allowed them to gain valuable experience, then it's not really discrimination. People in their late 20s have more life experience to inform the stories they tell, so it's easy to see why they don't just want a bunch of kids straight out of college who have no real world experience.

Likewise, you don't have to hire an 80 year old just because they applied for a physical labor job, just to be "fair." If you have a 25 year old applicant, they would be the obvious choice between the two.
You put it in perfect words haha I think age influences them in that way (more life experience, more maturity)

hahaha, I am not the one insinuating there is some age bias. I have absolutely no idea how they pick people for interviews, and I am super excited I was chosen. But I thought I'd put it out there for the people who are voicing there is some type of age bias. One person called it "rumors". Another person is taking a poll of everyone's age who was interviewed.

Your example of the 80-year-old applying to a labor job is an example of a strawman argument, BTW. Just thought I'd point that out.

hahaha, I am not the one insinuating there is some age bias. I have absolutely no idea how they pick people for interviews, and I am super excited I was chosen. But I thought I'd put it out there for the people who are voicing there is some type of age bias. One person called it "rumors". Another person is taking a poll of everyone's age who was interviewed.

Your example of the 80-year-old applying to a labor job is an example of a strawman argument, BTW. Just thought I'd point that out.
Not interested in an argument, just pointing out that an adcom ( perhaps subconciously) deciding to favor applicants with more maturity and experience is in no way, shape, or form age discrimination— which is what you implied in naming a specific law.

Neither is my example. That's the point. Age discrimination is more complicated than not being age blind.

Not interested in an argument, just pointing out that an adcom ( perhaps subconciously) deciding to favor applicants with more maturity and experience is in no way, shape, or form age discrimination— which is what you implied in naming a specific law.

Neither is my example. That's the point. Age discrimination is more complicated than not being age blind.

Do you work for the admissions department? Are you a lawyer? Who are you to say this confidently? I think we can all hope the application process is fair, but with the USC admissions scandal that brought light to all of the issues and injustices in the university system, how can you be so... obtuse? How many schools were exposed for fraudulent and unethical admissions practices within the past 2 years alone?

Again, I am not suggesting there is an age bias. But who am I, or YOU for that matter, to pretend we know there aren't biases?

Pretend that it's the 1970's. Would you be the person telling all the women/BIPOC who didn't get into the universities that "there isn't discrimination. They look for things beyond just sex/race. Yadayadayad." Because hindsight is 20/20. We know there was discrimination back in the day. And we know that there are recent unethical admissions practices.

EDIT TO INCLUDE: Guys, a strawman argument is a term. It doesn't mean people are "arguing"

Everyone's just making assumptions here! And I don't think anyone started this subject with discriminations in mind! It would actually make sense for them to select people on experience and maturity (which as I've suggested often come with age, but one could argue with this and say they don't solely depend on it), and I personally wouldn't get offended by it. Of course I don't think anyone in here thinks they pick age as a criteria for selection. My point was just to see if there was a pattern (they wouldn't pick people according to their age but people who get interviews might, probably just by pure coincidence, belong to, let's say, the same age group (and maybe it doesn't mean anything relevant at all)).

Besides this is in no way comparable to people being descriminated based on gender or race (if you think rejecting one's application because they think that person's too young and isn't mature enough for this course is as bad as refusing a person because she's black and a woman, you're the one who's got a problem ! ). We said there's most certainly no age bias, at what point did anyone imply there's no bias at all and descriminations didn't exist in the academic world?! You're attacking people with arguments and examples that are unrelated to the conversation and twisting people's words.

You got offended and annoyed by my question right from the start apparently, you think it's stupid, don't reply!

Tired of this conversation, sorry everyone for asking! (that was just supposed to be an innocent question😭)

Last edited:
Everyone's just making assumptions here! And I don't think anyone started this subject with discriminations in mind! It would actually make sense for them to select people on experience and maturity (which as I've suggested often come with age, but one could argue with this and say they don't solely depend on it), and I personally wouldn't get offended by it. Of course I don't think anyone in here thinks they pick age as criteria for selection. My point was just to see if there was a pattern (they wouldn't pick people according to their age but people who get interviews might, probably just by pure coincidence, belong to, let's say, the same age group (and maybe it doesn't mean anything interesting at all)).

Besides this is in no way comparable to people being descriminated based on gender or race (if you think rejecting one's application because they think someone's too young and doesn't have the maturity for this course is the same as refusing a person because she's black and a woman, you're the one who's got a problem ! ). We said there's most certainly no age bias, at what point did anyone imply there's no bias at all and descriminations didn't exist in the academic world?! You're attacking people with arguments and examples that are unrelated to the conversation and twisting people's words.

Tired of this conversation, sorry for everyone for asking!
I'm twisting people's words?

I'm just going to leave the conversation. I can tell just bringing up discrimination as being illegal is upsetting people. I'm very "f the establishment" type of a person...lol as you can tell

I'm twisting people's words?

I'm just going to leave the conversation. I can tell just bringing up discrimination as being illegal is upsetting people. I'm very "f the establishment" type of a person...lol as you can tell
Discrimination is illegal, it's horrendous, no one ever said otherwise...lol as you can tell by rereading this whole thread! (you're the one drawing questionable parallels, bringing about, out of nowhere, a very serious subject that's doing great harm to many people to serve whatever your argument is and lecture people who are probably just as aware of those issues as you are)

You don't know anyone in here, you don't know if anyone's ever been the victim of discrimination, so don't insinuate people you don't know anything about are in favor of oppression just based on a conversation about "the applicants' average age"!

No one's in here to be lectured and talked to in a condescending way (thanks, we know what a strawman argument is).

Last edited:
Discrimination is illegal, it's horrendous, no one ever said otherwise...lol as you can tell by rereading this whole thread! (you're the one drawing questionable parallels)

You don't know anyone in here, you don't know if anyone's ever been the victim of discrimination in this conversation, so don't insinuate people you don't know anything about are in favor of oppression just based on a conversation about "the applicants' average age"!

No one's in here to be lectured and talked to in a condescending way (thanks, we know what a strawman argument is).
All I was trying to do was voice support of people being skeptical as to the admissions process and looking for patterns. Just because I got an interview, doesn't mean the process is fair. I wanted to encourage you to keep looking for "patterns"....I can tell that is not what you wanted. I apologize.

P.s.- fuck the establishment lol

All I was trying to do was voice support of people being skeptical as to the admissions process and looking for patterns. Just because I got an interview, doesn't mean the process is fair. I wanted to encourage you to keep looking for "patterns"....I can tell that is not what you wanted. I apologize.
Thanks for trying to wake me up and draw my attention to issues and patterns of descriminations! Definitely needed this from you!

Once again don't need your patronizing tone, in the future don't draw conclusions too easily on a simple conversation with strangers and good night everyone

Thanks for trying to wake me up and draw my attention to issues and patterns of descriminations! Definitely needed this from you!

Once again don't need your patronizing tone, in the future don't draw conclusions too easily on a simple conversation with strangers and good night everyone
But you are the one using sarcasm and an immature, patronizing tone.

But you are the one using sarcasm and an immature, patronizing tone.
Everyone needs to take a moment. Context, inflections, and subtlety are lost in text. Let's keep it to a pleasant conversation here please.

deer popcorn GIF

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back