• IT'S HAPPENING! Celebrate interview season by becoming or upgrading to a Lifetime Supporting Membership for ONLY $15! (25% off) by entering the coupon code "ITSHAPPENING" . Thanks for being a member of the site!

How secure is the job market for someone who specializes in Editing?

Presby25

My choice is between law school, which I really don't want to do but would definitely pay the bills in the future, and film school.

I'm worried about financial stability in the future, though. So, if I went to film school I would put my specialization in editing. I love editing. It's the most fascinating, exciting aspect of filmmaking, I think.

It's musical and visual and a storytelling art all at the same time. I could happily edit for the rest of my life.

But I wonder how much a degree with a specialty in editing would help me, job wise. I've been thinking about going to schools that allow specialization in that field: USC, Chapman, NYU, AFI, etc. (I know most of those schools are insanely difficult to get into, but we'll see).

I mean... I don't know... I know this thread is rambling and possibly incoherent. Do you people know if students who specialize in post production generally end up with jobs? No offense to aspiring screenwriters and directors, but I would imagine if you specialize in those aspects of filmmaking your chances for success are much less likely (so, kudos for trying).

What do you guys think? Do any of you know any people who have specialized in post production and are now working in the industry?

Mike_V

Staff member
there is no definitive answer to this.
Alot of hollywood is about connections and luck. Some people get the big job through connections, but others end up getting it by sheer luck.
You'll just have to forge strong connections or be in the right place in the right time meeting the right people.
I'm going to chapman as an editor and thanks to my luck, I have had an offer (which I had to decline due to school restrictions) but that being said, it is about how good you are at what you do and how your attitude is.

Dafness

Presby, my brother graduated from a top law school a year ago and still hasn't been able to find a job and is still living with mom. he didn't see that one coming when he took out over 100k in loans. I'd say going to law school just for the money, and for no other reason is pretty lame. and that's what every other college grad that can't figure out what else to do with their life in doing right now. If u can't sit down and explain to someone why you are passionate about the law, then you shouldn't go. If you can sit down and discuss why u r passionate about editing, then you should do that then right? that doesn't mean you have to invest 6 figures in an editing education, but u should at least pursue it.

eaglefan129

Well I think if your going to specialize in editing I think you should go to film school to have every option open to you (i'm talking about productions of film sound that sorta thing). I like editing the most but I want to be able to say in the interview I also did this, I didn't just do this.

xtrmn8ngangl

i have been working as an editor and motion designer in berlin for about 5 years. i feel that there are always jobs for a good editor, but there are not always good jobs for a good editor.

editor are at the end of the production process so it is not uncommon for a production to go over shooting budget and try to save in post. also a lot of directors work with the same editor so if you are booked by one director for a while you risk loosing other clients because you are "always" booked for other jobs.

on the other hand, if you think you want to edit, do it. despite all the pains of being an editor(difficult clients, long hours, deadline stress, technical issues, and boring jobs) it is also a very enjoyable profession.

its a great time to be an editor, technology is so advanced that you can have an amazing studio for a fraction of what you would have paid a few years ago.

i dont know if that helps...

solojones

In my experience, of all the specializations in film school, editors have the easiest time getting jobs. There aren't as many aspiring editors as some other specialties and there's a much clearer path. Editors all need assistant editors or footage loggers. Film, TV, Commercials, Promos... all need editors and it's a real and specialized skill as opposed to something nebulous like directing ability.

That being said, of course a lot of the jobs aren't great jobs. They're not glamorous. But you have to start somewhere. Anyone in any emphasis who comes out of film school and expects a dream job right away is delusional and probably a little arrogant. You have to start at the bottom and earn it. But as an editor, there are plenty of jobs along the way that will help you pay the bills and make connections.

Pullo

Who told you that law school would "definitely pay the bills"? I'm not trying to sound hyperbolic or fear-mongery but now is probably the worst time to look for jobs with a JD unless you're willing to take possibly very unrelated work. Seriously look up "law school job prospects," because everything I've heard for the last 4 years about law degrees is about how gobsmackingly difficult it is to find a job, even coming from L14-level schools.

I'm not saying this to be a jerk. I think you should strongly consider what your plans are, because picking law "for the money" is not a good plan unless you've got a job guaranteed by a family member or something. If you're really torn between a film job that you think you'd love and a financially lucrative job then you've got the double-task of learning as much as you can about both categories.

smithjhon

Originally posted by smithjhon:
Originally posted by emperor_gort:
I would like to hear about your motivations a little bit more deeply, and explore whether there is anything beneath the question about job security. I went through some similar struggles to you, and I'll share my experience and hopefully you can learn a lesson that I wish I knew prior to going to grad school.

I graduated with a master's degree in business/finance from a good school last year, and realized that I hated finance. I couldn't stomach working at a bank, even though all my friends are doing it now and pulling in $100K+ working 80-100 hour weeks. I just got in to USC for screenwriting for Fall '11, and money is a big impediment, because I have spent the last year working in publishing. The pay is low, but I have tons of time to write... I may not be able to go to USC this year, but I'm setting myself up to go when I have saved the money.

I could not imagine myself working for 100 hours a week at a bank. If you go into law, especially corporate law, you will be in that kind of situation. Is the stability worth it? For some people it is. For others it isn't.

If your passion is film, then you can make money in film. A friend of mine went to Fulsail in Florida and has spent the last year doing two-month long trips around the world (Alaska, Morocco, South America) working on successively more significant roles in production. Then again, he also had to collect unemployment for about 1.5 years (and still does) to make ends meet, while working in LA.

Another friend of mine who I met at the USC meet-up day went to law school, hated it but persisted, worked at a law firm, and is going to USC at 30, having hated his law career.

Still other friends of mine are at top law schools and can't get work at all because in 2011, law is no longer the "sure thing" so many people thought it was--unless you go to Yale or something.

Anyway, good luck deciding. Hope that helps.

Yes its very difficult in this type of condition that what to do next..?

I am also post graduate in finance .
But I have no such experience in banking.

hope for the best for you.

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews