Ephraim

does anyone have any beginners tips on how to write a movie script? what screenwriting books you recommend? best screenwriting websites? what type of script to try writing first? how important is the screenplay format?

i've written short stories but that's about it so far. this would be the first time writing a screenplay and would like to try being a screen writer.

thanks!

There's a good thread on Screenwriting here:

I'm sure others will chime in. There's a lot of good screenwriters on this site. :)

Honestly, what helped me the most when I first started screenwriting was reading a TON of scripts. Think of TV shows/movies you like and google "x screenplay pdf" or something along those lines, a copy should pop up for many. You'll get a feel for formatting and because you're familiar with how it translated on screen, you can see how things were written.
There are billions of screenwriting books out there that advertise the perfect formula (ex: Save The Cat) and they're not bad, but I didn't find them as helpful as reading scripts. Once the basics are down though, books like "Story" by Robert McKee, "Screenplay" by Syd Field, and Aristotle's "Poetics" are interesting as they delve into structuring a story, plot, conflict, characterization, etc...
For websites, I like forums like this and the screenwriting subreddit. Also, (kind-of a website?) podcasts. "Scriptnotes" is a good one with John August and Craig Mazin, both successful screenwriters.
Only you can answer what type of script you should try writing first. Just go with what you like, it'll make the process more enjoyable.
Formatting is pretty important, IMO. There are plently of free programs that will do it automatically for you (WriterDuet, Celtx). Haven't used them personally but I've heard good things about them.

Hope this was helpful!

Think of TV shows/movies you like and google "x screenplay pdf" or something along those lines, a copy should pop up for many.

are any in particular your favorite scripts?

There are billions of screenwriting books out there that advertise the perfect formula (ex: Save The Cat) and they're not bad, but I didn't find them as helpful as reading scripts. Once the basics are down though, books like "Story" by Robert McKee, "Screenplay" by Syd Field, and Aristotle's "Poetics" are interesting as they delve into structuring a story, plot, conflict, characterization, etc...

i'll check those out. thank you!

There are billions of screenwriting books out there that advertise the perfect formula (ex: Save The Cat) and they're not bad
I've seen people mention this book before - it must have come out after I was in film school. :) I'll need to read that for sure. The cover looks funny.

are any in particular your favorite scripts?
For TV, the "Freaks and Geeks" and "Breaking Bad" pilots are hailed as some of the best pilot scripts out there. I agree, they're definitely a good read. Another great TV script is the "Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" pilot script. I'm a big fan of Amy Sherman Palladino's writing because her dialogue is so snappy. I also love the script for "Juno." It's SO good.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back