How to build a cinematography portfolio? Pursuing MA in cinematography after a Bachelor's in Engineering

sid_2000

I did my Bachelor's in engineering and I have always had a passion for camera, composition, and such and have 4 years of experience in handling cameras for covering outdoor events. I have finally decided to pursue a degree in cinematography and would like to do a master's. I went through the requirements and realized you gotta have a portfolio. While I do have a strong portfolio in photography, I may not have one in motion pictures. What do you suggest? Should I attend a crash course in cinematography beforehand applying for a master's or should I create a portfolio?
Also another question, some of the uni's have asked to attach a work as a part of the application. Does this need to be of professional grade or something that you have done with gears that you've got?
Please and thank you.

While I do have a strong portfolio in photography, I may not have one in motion pictures.
Some programs accept still photos but I think that's more for directing.

I know AFI requires a ten sixty... An example here:

AFI definitely wants people who have already been working in the business a little in the field of specialization but I don't believe all have that requirement.

Can your still photography camera take video? A lot of them do.

I think if you're good at still cameras then it will translate. Hold off on doing a crash course unless you really want to. I think they want to see potential in what you submit so do the best composition etc with the equipment you have access to? I don't think it necessarily needs to be professional grade they maybe want to see potential.

If there's a crash course that's affordable to take while you build your portfolio you might consider it if you want to. I'd say first start practicing shooting video and composing moving pictures and see how it goes.

Google more ten sixty videos or cinematography submissions to other programs on YouTube to see what different people are doing.

I believe we do have some on our site as well for supporting members in the application database. Which programs are you applying to?

Some programs accept still photos but I think that's more for directing.

I know AFI requires a ten sixty... An example here:

AFI definitely wants people who have already been working in the business a little in the field of specialization but I don't believe all have that requirement.

Can your still photography camera take video? A lot of them do.

I think if you're good at still cameras then it will translate. Hold off on doing a crash course unless you really want to. I think they want to see potential in what you submit so do the best composition etc with the equipment you have access to? I don't think it necessarily needs to be professional grade they maybe want to see potential.

If there's a crash course that's affordable to take while you build your portfolio you might consider it if you want to. I'd say first start practicing shooting video and composing moving pictures and see how it goes.

Google more ten sixty videos or cinematography submissions to other programs on YouTube to see what different people are doing.

I believe we do have some on our site as well for supporting members in the application database. Which programs are you applying to?
Well yes, I have taken videos on it, but those emphasize more on the framing and composition rather than having a proper narrative (it's random). I am planning for cinematography programs atp. Ik AFI admissions are quite tough. Could you maybe suggest a few uni's that have programs in cinematography?
Currently, I have 1-2 shorts lined up and I'm assuming it would be finished before March and I believe the admissions are coming up in the months between July - September so maybe I could submit those?

Could you maybe suggest a few uni's that have programs in cinematography?
Our database has quite a few:

(You can sort by concentration using the filter - although note I'm in the process of updating the database)

Here are some:

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back