How will GPA affect my film school application?

andy001

Hey all!
So I’m getting ready to send my first big apps this fall, and one possibly by this month. I have a 3.18 gpa, I’m wondering how this will affect my application. I have a pretty decent portfolio (wrote/directed/edited/ produced seven short films to date) will my gpa be detrimental to this?

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member
As long as your portfolio is strong you should be good. See Application Tracker and this doc for data on GPA and admissions:

For example using this data we can see the lowest reported Minimum GPA for USC Directing is 3.0. Lowest reported minimum GPA for UCLA - Screenwriting is 2.8.

Having a low GPA certainly doesn't help but it isn't necessarily a deal breaker as plenty of people have gotten accepted with a lower GPA score. (The application tracker is fully searchable and sortable by GPA and admission data) :)

Last edited:

andy001

As long as your portfolio is strong you should be good. See Application Tracker and this doc for data on GPA and admissions:

For example using this data we can see the lowest reported Minimum GPA for USC Directing is 3.0. Lowest reported minimum GPA for UCLA - Screenwriting is 2.8.

Having a low GPA certainly doesn't help but it isn't necessarily a deal breaker as plenty of people have gotten accepted with a lower GPA score. (The application tracker is fully searchable and sortable by GPA and admission data) :)
There Will Be HOPE!! So awesome to see all of those, my confidence is back. Thanks Chris!!!

Latest Applications

Latest reviews