Indie Film Festival Recommendations?

nycactor7467

Supporter
Hey everyone,

What are the indie festivals you would recommend? I'm not talking about the big names or Academy qualifying festivals. Just what are some festivals that are fun and well-produced for filmmakers just starting out?

Bonus points for festivals in NYC/Philly area.

llueve

Supporter
If you like making genre films, I've really enjoyed Brooklyn Horror Film Festival, both as a shorts filmmaker and as an attendee. It's a young festival, but the offerings have gotten better and better over the 3 years I've attended and, IMO, are strong. If your film shows, the organizers are lovely, as are most of the filmmakers, and, as far as I can tell, they present a broad range, from all kinds of horror (psychological, supernatural, slasher, B-movie, horror comedy and parody etc) to films that lean more towards suspense, science fiction, fantasy, and experimental.
So that's my rec.

nycactor7467

Supporter
If you like making genre films, I've really enjoyed Brooklyn Horror Film Festival, both as a shorts filmmaker and as an attendee. It's a young festival, but the offerings have gotten better and better over the 3 years I've attended and, IMO, are strong. If your film shows, the organizers are lovely, as are most of the filmmakers, and, as far as I can tell, they present a broad range, from all kinds of horror (psychological, supernatural, slasher, B-movie, horror comedy and parody etc) to films that lean more towards suspense, science fiction, fantasy, and experimental.
So that's my rec.
Awesome, thank you!

Latest Accepted Applications

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Boston University - College of Communication (M.F.A. Screenwriting)
    4.00 star(s)
    Screenwriting Program Review by a Second Year Student
    Current student in the screenwriting MFA program at BU. There’s a lot to love in this program, I think overall it is one of the more underrated...
    • Cody Young
  • Hofstra University - Department of Radio, Television, Film
    5.00 star(s)
    Quality Facilities, Caring Professors
    Great school that prepares you for the New York film and television scene. The facilities are state of the art and the teachers are top notch.
    • joekgilberto
  • Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    Go if you have a sizable scholarship
    Ultimately glad I went, but my overall experience at Emerson felt very lackluster. The courses were good, but nothing really worth sinking almost...
    • Anonymous
  • USC School of Cinematic Arts (BA/BFA)
    5.00 star(s)
    A Journey Most Illuminating
    I started my USC adventure as a Theatre major. I quickly discovered that I needed to change paths, and film had always been of interest. I thought...
    • JHD
  • London Film School (LFS) - Directing Summer School with Udayan Prasad
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Filmmaking Intensive, Though Pricey
    I attended this summer program in 2019. I wanted to try out directing in an environment where I would get feedback on my work and where I could...
    • llueve

Latest Accepted Applications