2008 - Interview Offers from NYU or Columbia yet?

Just got off the phone with Columbia. Basically, if the package they sent you didn't include any financial aid award (fellowship, tuition waiver, scholarships, etc.), your financial aid package will only contains Stafford Loan offers and work-study aid, since the big grants are administered directly by the school and you would've been notified of them in the first mailing.

Good luck to all the MFA students. I believe that kind of degree is worth an investment. Personally, I'm not gonna spend thousands of dollars in a strictly academic master.

I just got rejected from columbia. I was curious whether you all received the same rejection letter; such as "choosing the appropriate group is dificult" and "admissions were exceptionally competitive this year"??

Hey K-mee, I just got that letter too, it's definitely a form letter. There was no mention of waitlist, does that mean we won't be considered for waitlist and we're just off altogether, or there is still a waitlist possibility...

Yep, I got the same letter too. I emailed the admissions office to ask for some feedbacks on the interviews, but they've just emailed me back to tell me that they don't give any feedback to anyone... I didn't ask if they had a waitlist though, but my feeling is that they do and that we're not on it.

Bonjour aux deux français,

Je suis navré pour votre refus. Je vous ai laissé un pm, si vous souhaitez en parler, n'hésitez pas.

Je suis de Paris.

merci et bravo à toi! Ca sera pour une prochaine fois, j'ai aussi passé un entretien à l'AFI, j'attends encore leur réponse. qu'est-ce que c'est qu'un pm?

sorry for the french tongue slip! We'll switch back to English. Louvonsalame, there was no info of grand importance in the french messages and (it sucks for me doesn't translate very well in French!)

hi all,

i received a letter from columbia informing me that i was on the waitlist. certainly there is no way of knowing how long the list is or where i stand on it, so a much different process of waiting now begins...

bonne chance/buena suerte/viel glück.

Ha ha, it's no problem. I wish I did speak French, because it's a beautiful language. It looks like a wait game for a good portion of people here...but it's comforting to share that here.

To Louvonsalome...

"Qui suce pour moi " means "Who sucks for me"....

A Maxence:

Carrément, réessaye encore! Je suis sûr qu'on se verra là bas. Un PM est un message privé. Il y a une boite de message ici.

TO Moscuestahelado:

Thanks and good luck too!

Originally posted by dude_dogg438:
To everyone who were accepted to NYU MFA (production)...

Did anyone receive financial aid information/numbers with their admission packet sent on April 1?

Nope, didn't get any. But I'm an international student so I'm not sure if I'm eligible for any financial aid/fellowship.

Did anyone get anything?

Hello everybody!
i got a letter from columbia saying they didn't accept me, and that means we're not on the waitinglist either..
i was just wondering, since in the letter they were talking about experience and maturity, how old are the people who got accepted at the colubia/nyu MFA? i got to talk to some people and they said i'm too young to get in (i'm 22), i didnt' think so but they made me curious.....

well, hope we'll keep in touch in the future and those who'll be in will let us know about their experience for next year application!!
best wishes!!

Hey Giulia, I'm young too and I've heard the same thing. I think it is true for the most part. When I interviewed in NYC for Columbia, neither of my interviewers had read my portfolio so didn't know my age. In fact they assumed I was in another masters program and when I corrected them and said I was in 4th year undergrad, they looked surprised and not in a good way. A couple other people got in and they were young too, but their interviewers (at least one of each of theirs) had read their portfolio and they said they talked about their work and how it stemmed from their real life which showed their maturity (the interviewers actually commented to him that they normally take older people). Since neither of my interviewers had even read my work, we did not talk about my work and they didn't ask any questions that would have allowed the same kind of discussion. I've actually found the admissions process frustrating because of this, it seems unequivalent when you have interviewers reading some applicants' work and not others. Others may say that the age thing is not true, and of course there are exceptions, but from my experience, I'd say it is.

Hey giulia and sophie,
I think it was just a question of preference in the interviewers. I was extremely lucky to be interviewed by the lovely Bette Gordon with whom I connected immediately. I am sure that I could have been refused had I interviewed with someone else. Luck of the draw, I guess. Cheers!

PS Just because my nickname is pretty androgynous and people have made the mistake before, I'm a girl :) Oh and I will be 22 when I begin the program, to answer giulia's question.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 25, and I've been rejected. I had the same frustration about the interviewers who hadn't read my application than you, sophiedog...especially that I had flown over there from France. They asked me questions like how did your film studies degree shape you as a filmmaker? I never studied film in my life, but I worked in the industry, so it was kind of absurd... oh well, we need to be philosophical about it.

Columbia has the most cordial rejection letter that I have ever read - I am fully impressed.

Congratualions to all who were accepted - I can't wait to see your films at festivals!

Cheers!

Originally posted by Kirs:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dude_dogg438:
To everyone who were accepted to NYU MFA (production)...

Did anyone receive financial aid information/numbers with their admission packet sent on April 1?

Nope, didn't get any. But I'm an international student so I'm not sure if I'm eligible for any financial aid/fellowship.

Did anyone get anything? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

International students are definitely able to get financial aid/fellowships from the department/university.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back