finally heard back from all my screenwriting MFA applications:
Texas - rejected
FSU - accepted
UCLA - accepted
NYU - accepted this morning!
I always thought it was a shot in the dark to get into ANY of them and now I actually have to make a big decision. Help would be appreciated :S
This post is half for those who applied this year for grad school and those who, like I was last year, are lurking and reading up on the experiences of others.
I only applied to three schools, USC, UCLA, and Chapman. Got a no from USC (and not much else after I submitted my app), got an interview with UCLA but ultimately rejected, and waitlisted by Chapman. I've decided, even if things change with Chapman, I'm going to do UCLA's Professional Program.
*this is for those who are considering applying to grad school: just do it. There are plenty of reasons in your head that you think would prevent you from gaining admission. Going through the whole application process will help clarify what you need to fix/change/not stress about. For me, there were two things I thought would hold me back. One was my grades from undergrad. While I went to a highly ranked university, my GPA was (and forever shall be) woefully unimpressive. Yet, even so, I got an interview with UCLA and I got waitlisted by Chapman, who even states they have grade requirements. So, if you are worried about the grades of your past, you shouldn't. No, what did me in, and why I am choosing the PP is a lack of experience. UCLA has a 200 page limit for creative samples. I submitted all I had written up until that point, which was equal to two short films that totaled 36 pages. Now I know which of those two needs to be improved for future applications, and I can stop stressing about the other.
**Now for those who have heard back, I thought I might try something unconventional for this site (or at least as far as I know.) I'm going to be moving out to California for the PP program. I know you can do the program online, but I'm at a point in my life where a transition like this is possible and I've been working towards moving out there for the past few years. I was curious if anyone who is planning on attending any of the socal schools, or is in a similar situation as myself, would be interested in rooming together? I know for myself, part of the draw of film school is to connect with like-minded, creative people. This would be another opportunity for that. Anyways, if you think you'd be interested, send me a PM.
Congratulations to those who got in, keep the faith those who are still waiting, and good luck to those applying in the future!
I've been thinking of doing the same as you. Moving to Cali for the PP program. Have you heard good things about it? It's a big step for me so I'm a little apprehensive but life is all about chances I guess
So at this point, I'm choosing between USC Film and TV Production vs. Columbia Directing/Screenwriting. Any thoughts? I'm feeling both totally overwhelmed that these two programs accepted me for fall, and also super confused. Help?
I'm in the same boat at this point. Accepted to USC and Columbia but still wait listed at ucla (my #1) and AFI. Basically it comes down to your priorities.
My impressions of Columbus's directing and screenwriting programs are that they're one of the best and the fact that the each give equal weight to one another really seems like it would make you stronger in both. My priorities are writing and directing so Columbia definitely suits my needs better. But I'm from California, did my undergrad in film ucla, and most of my professional network is in LA. USC is a production not a Directing program which they make big point to clarify. It is focused much more on the process of making a film vs the craft of directing. Also the size of the programs are very different 100+ students at USC and 40ish at Columbia. At USC classmates also pitch to direct about 10-12 thesis films whereas at Columbia you have to do one. The inherent competition with people who you'll be working with the rest of your career is a little unsettling.
Obviously you can tell my priorities. The issue is coming to grips with a potentially big move. But like I said it depends on your priorities. Message me if you west to pick this up further.