• THANKSGIVING WEEK LIFETIME SUPPORTING MEMBERSHIP SALE: If you are finding FilmSchool.org helpful, consider becoming or upgrading to a Lifetime Supporting Membership for ONLY $16! (20% off) by entering the coupon code THANKS. Coupon expires Sunday 11/29 at midnight PST.

Interviews - Acceptances - Rejections - Waitlists

freakyfreddy

Update: I will be going to Chapman; the MBA program was the biggest reason.

Originally posted by freakyfreddy:
USC: Rejected
Columbia: Accepted
Chapman MBA/MFA: Accepted

All of these programs are for producing(not production).

nellie

mine are all in now -

Tisch - second round, rejected
USC - rejected after they freaking asked me to submit my passport and financial support information!
Columbia - interviewed and accepted yesterday. One of the best moments of my life and I can't wait to start attending!!!!!

kelpike

These are my schools (all directing/production focus):

USC- accepted
UCLA- waitlisted
FSU- interviewed (haven't heard yet)
SFSU- accepted
CCA- accepted
U. of New Orleans- accepted

I haven't heard anything about money yet from any of them. Has anyone else? How do you make a decision like this without all the financial information?

Moira

Finally, I have all decisions, just got the last result from AFI:

AFI (Directing) - accepted
USC (Production) - waitlisted for fall, accepted for Spring
Columbia College, Chicago (Directing) - accepted with scholarship
Columbia University NY (Screenwriting/Directing) - interview, rejected
UCLA (Directing) - rejected

Still waiting for scholarship decisions, though. The waiting game is neverending...

TheRealSV

Originally posted by Moira:
Finally, I have all decisions, just got the last result from AFI:

AFI (Directing) - accepted
USC (Production) - waitlisted for fall, accepted for Spring
Columbia College, Chicago (Directing) - accepted with scholarship
Columbia University NY (Screenwriting/Directing) - interview, rejected
UCLA (Directing) - rejected

Still waiting for scholarship decisions, though. The waiting game is neverending...

Wow I didn't know Columbia College gave out scholarships! Nice! I am going to put in an application for them next time. I would love to save some money and get a scholarship. That's the one thing that sucks about AFI is that they have no scholarships for first year fellows. Grad school is so expensive, saving money by getting a scholarship is very promising! And Columbia College Chicago has great filmmakers that have come out of there like The director of Men Of Honor!

TheRealSV

AFI Alternative Candidate.

Definitely going to put in my app for Columbia College, Chicago! They give Scholarships! Awesome! I would love to save money and not be 100,000 in debt especially since I have been working in the film industry for 10 years and know its hard to find jobs no matter how much education, experience you have so staying as low on debt as possible is much more appealing to me!

geekay

I don't know how you all have the time and concentration for applying to all of these programs! Mine are not totally confirmed, but I can guess what it will be:

Calarts (Film Directing) - accepted, $10,000 scholarship
UW-Milwaukee (Film, Video, New Media) - Full ride scholarship + $14200 living stipend per year
Royal College of Art (animation)- rejected
AFI (Directing) - expecting a rejection letter, but haven't heard yet.

I wanted to apply to SFSU, which I think is a great program, but limited myself to 3 schools for applications, to keep my head on straight. UW-Milwaukee contacted me and asked me to apply, which was really flattering, just not sure about going to Milwaukee, though I hear its a great program...not really sure what is going to happen from this point on. Obviously, Calarts isn't going to come close to that offer though.

TMRJ

UCLA- Rejected
San Fran State- RJ
Columbia College Chicago- Accepted
Northwestern U- Accepted
Columbia U. - Waitlisted
NYU - Interviewed, RJ
CalArts - Accepted
Chapman- No word.

I love CalArts... I am hoping for decent financial aid so that I can actually attend.. what a whirlwind of emotions. I'm glad I'm done waiting, although Chapman has not contacted me. I feel like CalArts would be the best place for me :)

Last edited by a moderator:

TMRJ

Originally posted by geekay:
We may be classmates at Calarts? Are you going to the accepted student event this week on campus?

I am on the East Coast, so I'm going to the admitted students day event in New York, but I'm hoping to be able to go. I need to receive the financial information. I'm glad I'm getting to connect with a classmate through this discussion board.

TheRealSV

For all those that applied to multiple schools, did you use the same recommendations and packages to apply to each school? Did your recommender have to submit the letter to each school for you? I hate to bother my recommenders to send so many letters to so many different schools but if it must be done, then it must be done. I only applied to one school this year and wont be doing that again next year.

To all those that applied to multiple schools, what schools did you finally choose to go to? And how quickly do you have to make your decision and do you contact the schools you decide not to go to or no?

@TheReal, I hope you didn't give up on AFI yet. I mean there is a wait list for a reason, so I do not think all hope is lost yet. You were so positive on the AFI thread that I hate to see you give up so soon :)

Personally I applied to 5 schools and each one required was a little different. But all pretty similar. Columbia was the one I wrote the most "new" material for which was a pain, but gave me some good material that I plan to use in the future. I used the same recommenders for each of the 5 schools, but it was easy for them because it was all electronic. I do not know why AFI wanted a hard copy. They were the only school that required it. I wish you the best!

My results are:

AFI - Interviewed, have not heard back but assuming rejected.
Columbia U - Wait listed
USC - Accepted and going!
NYU - Rejected
UCLA - Rejected

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by TheRealSV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GradStudentMFA:
I (stupidly) applied to one school and was wait listed
Me too. Where did you apply and for what discipline? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

NYU for the win

How about you?

TheRealSV

Originally posted by GradStudentMFA:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheRealSV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GradStudentMFA:
I (stupidly) applied to one school and was wait listed
Me too. Where did you apply and for what discipline? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

NYU for the win

How about you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

AFI. It's funny because everyone keeps congratulating me for being waitlisted. lol! I guess it's an accomplishment. I'm not feeling all congratulatory about it myself. Could get in?? Would rather have known I got in. Especially when you don't know how many are on the waitlist and where you even fall on that list. I could be the last of 10 so....like I said, not feeling like there is anything to celebrate.

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Film And Television Institute of India
    4.00 star(s)
    Graduate Certificate, TV Direction
    I was enrolled in the 1-year Direction certificate course in the TV wing in the session 2018-19. Following are the pros and cons that I...
    • ValArya
  • University of Texas at Austin - Department of Radio-Television-Film
    4.00 star(s)
    Great film school outside of LA/NYC
    I would say overall UT's film school is a great choice! It is rated #11 on THR's Top Film School List in the U.S. Sure it's nowhere near LA or NY...
    • Anonymous
  • Columbia College Chicago - Cinema Directing (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    a great decision
    Columbia College Chicago is not only one of America's best film schools it is also one of the most affordable. The program is advertised as 2...
    • Jcromwell
  • Fitchburg State University
    4.00 star(s)
    Okay School, especially for the price
    Came in as both a transfer and commuter, so my experience was really lessened by that fact. Your time and success here is really up to you...
    • Anonymous
  • SUNY Purchase - Playwriting & Screenwriting BA
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Quality Program
    I want to start off by mentioning that I came to Purchase as a transfer student from another liberal arts college and screenwriting program. This...
    • catmom