Iowa 2010

JacksonFilms

I've made my visits, collected my letters of recommendation, written a statement of purpose and have sent in my application. Does anyone have some feedback or additional information on the MFA program at the University of Iowa?

Thanks.
Tim

I applied because I think it's unrealistic to put all my eggs in the UCLA/USC/NYU basket (No offense to people applying to only major schools--I'm sure you've done your research and are confident about your chances). It's unrealistic to think I'll get into all or any of them, so I've sprinkled a few Midwest schools in my application process.

A friend of mine is a graduate from there and speaks very highly of it. I heard they offer some really killer funding packages, and of course the cost of living would be a lot more reasonable. I believe there's a jackpot scholarship there too for one special student where he/she gets full tuition waived and a $30,000/yr SALARY to go there and teach an undergrad class or two. Talk about some financial freedom!

Iowa has produced some of the leading film theorists/writers in the country. I know one of the current production faculty is an NYU grad and there's lots of very qualified instructors there. I was told by my friend Iowa's more interested in documentary/experimental emphasis, but I don't think they stick to that very strictly.

It's a great little program that many ignore because its in the midwest. It's graduate writing/Comparative Lit. program is one of the best in the country, so there's lots of great fiction writers and literary talents in your midst. Potential collaborators...

I will be graduating from the undergrad program this May, but I have had the opportunity to take several "grad-level" courses and work with the faculty.

I can say that the faculty's focus is on experimental and documentary filmmaking. Here at Iowa, they see filmmaking as a personal journey, as opposed to a collaborative process. That being said, they have recently hired a professor, Andrew Hulse, who teaches classes on narrative filmmaking and the practical aspects of producing a film.

They also allow students to pursue any area they want. I myself am interested in narrative films, and while students are on their own if they want to assemble crews, it can be done.

The primary cameras they use are Panasonic HXVs and HPXs. There are classes in 16mm film, but no one is shooting 35. Editing in Final Cut.

I am happy I went here for my undergrad; Iowa City is a nice town. I would STRONGLY suggest visiting the school and the department before accepting an admission offer.

Yeah, I think IOWA sends out decisions in late February for MFA in Film/Video Production, correct? That's what I recall someone from the Admissions office telling me.

And yeah, kjba...I did the same. Statistically, you have about a 1 in 12 chance to get in to a school based on how many apps they receive (and how many they accept). This is true in the Screenwriting programs (not sure about others), so I tried to apply to that many schools...most of which I really would love to get into and go to. We'll see though. Didn't quite apply to 12, so we'll see. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
ASR - Thanks for your feedback. I did my visit a while back and was impressed with the faculty and the facilities. The program seems to be fairly progressive on technology and how the creative process is changing, and I really like that.

Are students willing to help each other in the creative process?

Is Iowa City a fairly affordable place to live?

Iowa City is the most affordable place to go to film school, yes. lol At least, according to my handy dandy Film School Confidential book it is. ;)

Thanks for the heads-up on the Film School Confidential book. Even though it's after the application deadline and it was published in 2007, it had some good information on the two schools I've applied to. Mostly confirming some observations I had on my visits, but good information none-the-less.

I pay about $500/mo for rent plus utilities. It's not as cheap to live in Iowa City as you may expect, but then again, it's cheaper than LA or NYC.

Students are willing to help each other, but it's up to you to organize the production. It's not common that a film shoot will have a producer, script supervisor, etc. It's more likely that there's a director and then helpers. At least, that's how it's been on all the films I've worked on.

Finally, I would say Iowa has a nationally-renowned writing program. Tennessee Williams, Kurt Vonnegut, and that lady that wrote Juno all went here. I would highly recommend taking advantage of the writing department if you end up coming here.

Just for anyone standing on the sidelines and reading this thread...

Got my letter today. I'm not going to Iowa.
Gotta wait for the other applications now.

Thanks for reading and responding to this thread.

Sorry to hear that. But that means everyone can start checking their mailboxes for the next few days. Once one letter comes, more will follow (particularly to schools that don't do interviews).

Congrats kjba86! Is that for MFA in Film/Video Production? And you got an email saying you were accepted and then a mailed letter? If that's the case, I know what to expect then. Which is okay. I know that IOWA has a very small program, only accepting 4 or 5 people. So kudos to you!

Thanks, Neville26! Yes, it's the Production track MFA. Really, 4-5? I had no idea.

I received an email Tuesday saying I was in and would get a hard copy of the letter "in a week or so." Yesterday I got the hard copy (2 Days).

I live in Missouri, so I'm assuming the letter got to me more quickly than, say, Hawaii would.

Hope this helps and good luck! I'd imagine they're still working towards notifying people...

Yep, 4 or 5. I think I asked about that number a month or two ago, since I thought it was rather low. So yeah, you should be very proud of yourself. What other schools did you apply to? Or was IOWA the only one?

UCLA (Rejected), UT-Austin (Active Waitlist), Iowa (Accepted), Peck School of the Arts (Haven't heard)

All are Film/Video Production emphasis. This process has been so, SO weird to me. How about you? Casting your net wide or do you have a few focused places? Best of luck!

I have six places I really like and then the last 4 are more, "don't-know-as-much-about-them-but-have-heard-good-things-so-i-should-apply-and-if-i-get-in-visit-them" schools. ;) So yeah, I applied to 10. I haven't been accepted or rejected to any yet, but have received an interview at AFI Conservatory and interviews setup for UCLA and Columbia, so really looking forward to both of those as I'd love to be at either one of those schools. They're both so strong.

Yeah they are! So wonderful. Yeah, I had the same perspective; get in, then visit. Sounds like you're getting great and positive feedback. Have fun at interviews!

Jacksonfilms, wanna hold my hand? I got my (expected) rejection letter yesterday. The first schools I heard back from. Oh well. On to waiting for the next school!!!

I'm convinced you're onto bigger and better things Neville. You can hang your hat on some impressive interview requests! One of them is bound to bite.

Best of luck.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back