1. The FilmSchool.org community has been helping people apply to film school since 2002. Log in or Create an Account and get your film school questions answered.
  2. Did you go to film school for undergrad? Please review the school on our Film School review system. (You can review anonymously)
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have you applied to a film school? Add your application to the Application Tracking Sheet so you can compare with your peers and track progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to get into a M.F.A program without any prior film making experience?

Discussion in 'Graduate Film School Discussions' started by Jenni.D, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Jenni.D

Jenni.D New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I went to a liberal arts college and my school only offered a hand full of film related classes. Right now I am mainly considering applying to masters in film studies (film analysis, theory,...) to pursue an academic career. Although I am happy with the idea of pursuing film in the academic field, I have always been interested in film production. During my sophomore year I considered transferring or getting a second bachelors degree, but came to the conclusion that it's not worth the cost. However, recently I have found out that Depaul has a M.S. which does not require a portfolio when applying. Does anyone know about this program? Does anyone know about schools that accept people with no to little experience in film making? I am well aware that film school in the graduate level are highly competitive and that these questions may seem absurd, but I needed to know all of my options before dedicating my life to student loans.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chris W

Chris W Get Busy Living Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +336
    Some schools even prefer you not to have too much experience as they can mold you into their way of doing things.

It depends though. I'd say don't let it hold you back in applying for sure.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jenni.D

Jenni.D New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for writing back! I didn't know that was also the case for M.F.As too.

Any advice on portfolio submissions? I've seen couple of videos of successful applicants, but all of them seem very professional.

4. estherk

estherk Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I honestly don't think the production value is the most important thing, although it helps. What matters is having a good story to tell. Make sure it's something that will stand out and be unique. Things like sound shouldn't detract from the overall story but I think that film schools are most interested in your voice and your creativity. You can always learn technical skills at school anyway. So, if I were you, I'd ask myself, "What do I want to say? What hasn't been done before?" and I'd make that film.