• THANKSGIVING WEEK LIFETIME SUPPORTING MEMBERSHIP SALE: If you are finding FilmSchool.org helpful, consider becoming or upgrading to a Lifetime Supporting Membership for ONLY $16! (20% off) by entering the coupon code THANKS. Coupon expires Sunday 11/29 at midnight PST.

Is it worth to apply for an MFA to US based schools this year?

Mint_Street

I am 28 years old, and already a professional screenwriter in my home country. I always wanted to go to grad school in the States, but because of work and financial constraints, I couldn't make it. I am wondering if I am too old to apply now, because I'll be 29 by the time I go. The whole reason for wanting to go to grad school is to network with other filmmakers and try to find work opportunities there. I wonder, with the current political climate, my age, my already having been somewhat established in my home industry, is it worth it to even apply? For context I applied last year, got a bunch of interviews, and got waitlisted to Columbia. I feel dejected and I don't know where to start. All advice would be welcome! Thank you :)

dreismanx

This is such a mood. I'm in a similar position, with similar needs. But the opportunity cost of studying in the US is definitely nerve-racking thing. Tuition is already so prohibitive for US nationals, and of course it's worse when you factor in the exchange rates for international students.

To add to your query about it generally being worth the risk, I'd love to know what scholarship options are available for people like us, if any, that may help us see this route of career development as a practical probable option?

Leforbusier

I'm 29 and am in my first year of grad school! I worked for 7 years as an architect and decided to switch careers. Also, 29 is still young - though, I have no perspective from the film industry. I can definitely tell small differences (as far as goals and other things) between me and my younger classmates, but otherwise I've seen no problems so far.

re: scholarships - I have a graduate assistantship which is helping significantly with tuition. If you are finding lack of scholarship opportunities, maybe it is worth pursuing an assistantship or work study to help curb costs.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member

Mint_Street

This is such a mood. I'm in a similar position, with similar needs. But the opportunity cost of studying in the US is definitely nerve-racking thing. Tuition is already so prohibitive for US nationals, and of course it's worse when you factor in the exchange rates for international students.

You said it! I am worried about generally fitting in as a POC, and tuition being prohibitive. Also to be honest getting waitlisted did a number on my motivation because now I can't think of how to make my application better, or figure out what was amiss the first time. UCLA isn't even taking in applicants this year, so I'm just trying to figure out the post Covid reality of the grad school situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Asar

Artist
Lifetime Supporter
I am wondering if I am too old to apply now, because I'll be 29 by the time I go.

I'll be starting my MFA at USC next semester at 32. You're going to be fine. :)

In terms of should you apply/attend film school, I guess I'd ask if you've tried utilizing your work/experience to leverage opportunities in the industry in the States already? After all, you said your goal of going to film school would be to network and find work opportunities. I, in some ways, had that as my goal as well, but it is because I'm a veteran so I wouldn't have to pay an extreme amount for school. I also have zero professional experience. So going to film school was my way of stepping out of the military and landing softer into the film industry.

You're already experienced, perhaps you can leverage that into opportunities and skip the middle man? That's an option/something to think about.

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Film And Television Institute of India
    4.00 star(s)
    Graduate Certificate, TV Direction
    I was enrolled in the 1-year Direction certificate course in the TV wing in the session 2018-19. Following are the pros and cons that I...
    • ValArya
  • University of Texas at Austin - Department of Radio-Television-Film
    4.00 star(s)
    Great film school outside of LA/NYC
    I would say overall UT's film school is a great choice! It is rated #11 on THR's Top Film School List in the U.S. Sure it's nowhere near LA or NY...
    • Anonymous
  • Columbia College Chicago - Cinema Directing (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    a great decision
    Columbia College Chicago is not only one of America's best film schools it is also one of the most affordable. The program is advertised as 2...
    • Jcromwell
  • Fitchburg State University
    4.00 star(s)
    Okay School, especially for the price
    Came in as both a transfer and commuter, so my experience was really lessened by that fact. Your time and success here is really up to you...
    • Anonymous
  • SUNY Purchase - Playwriting & Screenwriting BA
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Quality Program
    I want to start off by mentioning that I came to Purchase as a transfer student from another liberal arts college and screenwriting program. This...
    • catmom