Is my GPA too low for Film School? (1 Viewer)

AK006

I have an extremely low GPA i.e 1.7 from my undergraduate. But I have extensive 6 years of work experience, working in front of the camera as well as behind the camera for leading brands such as Coke, Honda, Suzuki, etc.

I want to know if I work hard on my GRE, and write an amazing SOP. Do I stand any chance for any top film schools such as USC, LMU, Chapman, CalArts, etc?

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
If you sort by accepted applications and GPA in our tracker someone got accepted with a 1.37 GPA:

Check out this article too:

Film School MFA Acceptance Rates, Minimum GPAs, Decision Dates, and more... (UPDATED with 2020 stats)

Film School MFA Acceptance Rates, Minimum GPAs, Decision Dates, and more... (UPDATED with 2020 stats)

People often ask "What is the minimum GPA for USC film school?" Or "What is the acceptance rate of NYU film school?" The problem is that Film Schools are often very tight lipped and secret about their acceptance rates and the minimum GPAs that they accept. However thanks to the over 3,200...

So I'd say it's not impossible but you're really going to have to hit your personal statement and application OUT OF THE PARK. It's definitely a hurdle to overcome.

Last edited:

AK006

If you sort by accepted applications and GPA in our tracker someone got accepted with a 1.37 GPA:

People often ask "What is the minimum GPA for USC film school?" Or "What is the acceptance rate of NYU film school?" The problem is that Film Schools are often very tight lipped and secret about their acceptance rates and the minimum GPAs that they accept. However thanks to the over 3,200...

So I'd say it's not impossible but you're really going to have to hit your personal statement and application OUT OF THE PARK. It's definitely a hurdle to overcome.

What's your view on school such as NYFA ?
I believe they don't consider GPA as a factor in selection process, if I am not mistaken.

AK006

The last time i.e July 2020. I emailed all the following universities individually to clear my doubt regarding GPA requirements, these are the responses I got -

USC -
  • No GRE
  • The higher the GPA, the better the chances
AFI -
  • No GPA but nevertheless we require transcripts, not to see your GPA but to see if you are responsible and hardworking
  • No GRE
UCLA -
  • Minimum 3.0 GPA, if less then have to take GRE
CalArts -
  • No GPA
  • No GRE
Chapman -
  • No GPA
  • No GRE
Emerson -
  • No GPA
  • No GRE
LMU -
  • Most applicants have 3.0 above GPA
  • If GPA less then 3.0, then have to take GRE
Columbia -
  • No GPA
  • No GRE

Abbey Normal

Supporter+
I have an extremely low GPA i.e 1.7 from my undergraduate. But I have extensive 6 years of work experience, working in front of the camera as well as behind the camera for leading brands such as Coke, Honda, Suzuki, etc.

I want to know if I work hard on my GRE, and write an amazing SOP. Do I stand any chance for any top film schools such as USC, LMU, Chapman, CalArts, etc?
A 1.7 GPA is low. Is there any way to take additional classes and bring it up to at least a 2.5? Perhaps do a post-bac, which I know is common for people entering the health field. Then again, that's an additional 2 years. But it looks like you have some legit hands-on experience so that could certainly help. And if you have a stellar SOP and incredible references that could work in your favor. Are you going for cinematography? If so, check out AFI.

AK006

A 1.7 GPA is low. Is there any way to take additional classes and bring it up to at least a 2.5? Perhaps do a post-bac, which I know is common for people entering the health field. Then again, that's an additional 2 years. But it looks like you have some legit hands-on experience so that could certainly help. And if you have a stellar SOP and incredible references that could work in your favor. Are you going for cinematography? If so, check out AFI.
I want to go for editing.

KeenanDK

1.7 is too low for any school. I'm not gonna lie and sugar coat it, but for all intents and purposes, that's a failing grade.

Not to say its impossible, but I think you should consider some sort of school-type work to account for that. The schools will want to see that you have a history of performance in an academic environment. I suggest getting a certificate or something to show that you can successfully complete coursework.

Even a good SOP or resume won't demonstrate your ability to commit and succeed in an academic environment, you'll have to demonstrate that somehow.

Don't NOT apply because of your GPA--if you want it, pursue it; but I would definitely find a way to directly address that shortcoming.

Add your film school application to our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Add Application…

Student Films Made at Film Programs

Colella612
3.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Views
Reaction score
Reviews
Questions
After the light bulb on her film projector burns out, an elderly woman must confront a nightmarish world as well as the trauma of her past as she seeks to find a replacement before her memories are lost forever.
Film Program
Loyola Marymount University
Course
Directing Short Film II: Visual Story
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Drama
Duration/Running Time
5:58
Film Completion
May 3, 2021
A248
Views
Reaction score
An exploration of the history and modern day importance of postcards.
Film Program
Course
PROD 670
Film Type
Thesis Film
Genre
Documentary
Duration/Running Time
17:31
Film Completion
May 1, 2021
A248
Views
Reaction score
In the midst of a global pandemic, a very paranoid vampire orders contactless food delivery.
Film Program
Course
PROD 685
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Comedy
Duration/Running Time
1:24
Film Completion
Aug 1, 2020

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Add your own Application to our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications