Is UCLA extension worth it?

Sopheeeyah

Hi!

I'm an international student looking to study film Directing in LA. I was informed by a friend of mine about the programs at the UCLA extension and I learnt the classes are mostly taken at night.

Has anyone ever take classes there or does anyone know someone who has?

I need reviews please.

Thank you.

Julie Lew

Staff member
The professional program is different from UCLA extension. I don’t have any experience with extension, sorry, but I did love the professional program course!

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member
The professional program is different from UCLA extension. I don’t have any experience with extension, sorry, but I did love the professional program course!
Ah. I probably should have known that. :)

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member
It looks like @Sabin did UCLA extension courses.

After Outfest, I took the UCLA Professional Program and Extension courses for the past five years or so. And it's been useful but juggling work (and finding work) with writing has been such a stress and I don't really have much by way of cohort in my life.

Sabin

It looks like @Sabin did UCLA extension courses.
Yes, I did. Although I've never taken a directing course at UCLA Extension. I'm sure they're good. You can enroll in a "Directing Track" there. The Professional Program is also a pretty good crash course. They're not always at night. It depends on the course. I don't have direct experience with the directing courses but I'm sure they're fine.

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member
The Professional Program is also a pretty good crash course.
Are you able to hopefully review the professional program on this site? That would be awesome.

Which one did you do?

Sabin

Are you able to hopefully review the professional program on this site? That would be awesome.

Which one did you do?

I did screenwriting. I'd prefer not to review it because I didn't have a good terribly good experience for my own reasons. I was deliberating between four projects and I chose to write the wrong two while I was there. I spent a few months writing a screenplay for someone who said they would make it (tailored to their preferences) and they didn't. I spent the rest of the course writing something that needed more development before I set out to write it. So, I came away with largely nothing of worth. To be honest, one of the biggest problems with most screenwriting courses is they spend a very small amount of time ensuring that the script you're writing is strong from a conceptual/story level. It's just "This is the midpoint! This is the low point." Yes, but what is the story? I didn't get that from the Professional Program. That said, had I written the other two projects, I might have had a better experience.

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member
I did screenwriting. I'd prefer not to review it because I didn't have a good terribly good experience
You can review anonymously FYI. Any info you can give is a great help to others.

nwyrkrj

Hi!

I'm an international student looking to study film Directing in LA. I was informed by a friend of mine about the programs at the UCLA extension and I learnt the classes are mostly taken at night.

Has anyone ever take classes there or does anyone know someone who has?

I need reviews please.

Thank you.
Hey Sopheeeyah,

I completed the entertainment studies certificate and I'm currently working on the tv and film comprehensive certificate.

In short I'd say UCLA Extension classes and/or certificates are "worth it". What are you looking to do?

Best,
Jesse

Latest Applications

Latest reviews