LIVING @ CHAPMAN?

what up cheez - I'm heading there. I've looked into the graduate housing options on campus but it seems like there aren't too many spaces available. They go by a lottery. There is a waitlist tho. The best bet seems to check out the apartments in the surrounding area.

wow!!!!cats!!!I love cats, filmdazzle! hmmm, maybe you can consider me as a roommate! LOL I'm a girl too

Well I'm rooming with my brother so I have that set... but in terms of places to live around there, I can tell you...

Orange is obviously closest, sometimes walking distance to school. And it's pretty safe and quaint.

Tustin is a tiny bit further away, but also pretty safe.

Anaheim it really depends. Parts are okay and parts are really sketchy and dangerous. Garden Grove is sketch as well. Pretty much anything right next to Disneyland, on the West side of the 5... too bad, I know, I'd love to be able to walk to Disneyland ;)

Personally I'm hoping to find a place in Orange but Tustin would also be okay.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you've got a car, Newport Beach is a cool option. I'm looking at the area now...I checked out Orange yesterday and it's so sweet but there's not too much going on!

Hello everyone!!! and Thanks for the info! I really can't go to California right now so if you have any extra info about housing please let me know and thanks! I don't know which is better: live on campus or off campus? Which is safer? which is cheaper? In my country it's so different, you don't move out when you go to college, so I'm a little lost in that aspect! any help will be appreciated! Thanks!

Hey, Sharon, we are in the same boat! I live in dorm on campus here in Beijing. I've no idea how I can get the housing done in OC when I'm 13 hours' flight away from LA...well, if you need a roommate, maybe you can consider me! LOL

Originally posted by ninth_solstice:
If you've got a car, Newport Beach is a cool option. I'm looking at the area now...I checked out Orange yesterday and it's so sweet but there's not too much going on!

Newport Beach is very nice, but it's more expensive. Of course you're coming from London so maybe it won't seem so expensive ;)

But just generally speaking the closer you get to the water the more pricey things will be, naturally. Personally, I don't really know if it's worth it. I guess if you *really* like the water. But usually Chapman grad students are really busy.. my brother has lived near the beach these past 2 years and never goes because he's on set. Cheaper to move inland and be closer to school.

I guess I never got the thing about there not being enough to do around.
1) You're there to go to film school, and it's demanding. If you're going to do a good job, you're probably not going to be out partying all the time.
2) Just because you live in a certain town doesn't mean you have to hang out there when you want to do something. Drive. You have to have a car in SoCal anyway.
3) Disneyland is 15 minutes from the school. What more could you want? ;) Okay, maybe this is just me because I'm a huge Disney parks nut and a premium passholder.

I've found some decent apartments in and around the Chapman area. I have a car so commuting a few miles each way won't hurt much. Even tho walking distance sounds like a sweet deal. I definitely will head out to the OC in the next month or two to scope out the places in person. I might be looking for a roommate.

Solo is right tho, in that living near the beach while fun can be 'spensive. And besides we'll be working on set a lot anyway.

Speaking of beaches, does anyone here surf? :)

Tryin to resurrect this board. I am looking for an apartment/roomate(s) around Chapman. I am 23/m. Anyone still looking for roomates or apartments?

Cabezon,

What is the rent like for the apartments you've found?

Thanks,
Ashley

Originally posted by cabezon:
I've found some decent apartments in and around the Chapman area. I have a car so commuting a few miles each way won't hurt much. Even tho walking distance sounds like a sweet deal. I definitely will head out to the OC in the next month or two to scope out the places in person. I might be looking for a roommate.

I have been looking for 2br 2bath apartments, and I am finding places anywhere from 1200-1600. 1200 is more around my range.

I haven't heard much about Huntington Beach, but it is certainly more expensive than the Orange/Santa Ana

I'm going into my second year at Chapman and I might be able to suggest or provide a little insight to the living thing around Chapman.
One thing, get on it as soon as you can. Congrats to those who have been accepted.

Heya, I'm actually looking for a place near chapman as well. I just got in for editing and i'm trying to find either a 1br/ba or a 2br/ba to share with someone. finding an apartment here is a nightmare so if there is anyone here that is interested please send me a PM and i'll give you my phone number so we can talk about it.

well over an hour, from my experience, once the traffic was so bad it took two hours...but I'm not in Orange, I'm in Hollywood, so I may not know the secret routes...

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back