LIVING @ CHAPMAN?

Paul J.

Hey there,

Call me dumb but are the prices listed in various rent websites per week or per month. As if the tuition isn't hard enough on students wallets :) Anyways I'm playing the "I'm not from the States" - card on this question. :p

Secondly I see you talking about furnished or non-furnished apartments. How much does that up the rent? Almost all the places I've checked have pictures of furnished rooms (they would wouldn't they). Some don't and the price is often lower. Briefly looking one could think many of the options are furnished.

Ofcourse it's a whole different question to ask which places are so called "safe". But news in the U.S gets everybody worked up and frightened. Statisticly speaking I think there is more murders per capita over here in Finland. Then again we only have around 6million people :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike_V

Staff member
Chapman
95% of the time it's per month. if it's perweek, it'll say it.
in terms of furnished or not, it depends, some offer furnished at the same price but some dont. you can get some furniture real cheap either on craigslist or ikea or a discount place.
safe.. is as a previous poster said, there are some areas that he mentioned you should look into.

ArmaFenix

Since a lot of folks will be moving out some time in August, I'm sure there will be TONS of stuff thrown up on Craigslist. I lived in Tallahassee for a number of years and come moving time I saw numerous posts from people that were just selling whatever.

Plus I doubt the safety issue will be much of a problem. I'd say to take precaution, buy a gun and get renter's insurance.

ArmaFenix

I figured I"d post this here since it's on facebook. Anyone want to live together? I don't have a track preference...

I'm pretty easy to live with. I can be clean or messy, it depends on who I live with (if you're clean, obviously so am I). I try to keep a low profile on things ie I'll have very little with me whatsoever so being clean is easier but I don't really have much to provide for the place (except a boatload of music). I am pet friendly as long as they don't start peeing on my stuff or start chewing it (cats preferred). I try to stick to two loads of laundry a week, I like it cold when I sleep, er..substance friendly as long as you're not doing smack or dealing stuff (I only drink). I also don't mind an occasional party as long as I can spare the time. I'm bringing a car :D I have a guitar so if you're musically inclined then rock on. I probably won't be at the apartment a whole lot because most of the time I'm just out doing stuff (gym in spare time and whatever filler I can find). If there's an opportunity to save even a dime, I will do it without sacrificing comfort. I'm going to see if I can bring all my DVDs so whomever I live with will be welcome to that as long as they put the discs back in their boxes.

Last but most important if there are any potential problems that you can identify with living together, PLEASE NOTIFY ME. I will not have an issue with what you have to say as long as it is brought up early instead of left to fester and explode over time. That's all I can think of, if you're interested then drop me a line. Thanks :D

Mike_V

Staff member
Chapman
woah. is buying a gun necessary?
0.o that sounded a little extreme for me, but what the hell, I've done gun training before so if i have to....

ArmaFenix

Not necessary for certain, but I'd say get the renter's insurance in case there's a break-in while you're gone. The gun is in case there's a break-in while you're not. ;)

Bware

haha, woah... I don't think Orange is the sort of town that necessitates owning a gun, I've lived in far worse places. I don't know any specific crime records, but if you're that concerned, look them up (they must be available somewhere) then base your decision on safety measures on that.

airwaterfire

Hey guys, on a few things I've read on here:
First, yes, garden grove anaheim and some of the other towns on the other side of the freeways are Okay... but the BESt situation, IF you can get it, is to be walking/biking distance from school (no more than 2 miles)... sounds ridiculous, but trust me its worth it if u can pull it off, im at 3 and it can get annoying on many days...but 3-5 is still okay. I'll probably stay where we are because its been hard to find a cheaper or similar place.

Like Bware said, interterm, totally optional, but the fixed tuition thing can be nice many times, since you can take as many classes as you want with no change to your tuition, whenever, interterm, summer, etc. and if no look forward to the 2 month winter break in december-jan.

There is NO FCP in Chapman... we have a deal with Avid... it invoves not even having MACs AVAILABLE in the in the school! Some people think its a big headache because they are in love with FCP, but reality is if you already know FCP, learn AVID inside and out... you'll have 2 different job skills getting out, and Avid jobs pay more.

Editors are the ones who will be most likely to want to live close to school... i guarantee you paul seydors class will be at 7am... try not to make fun of him for editing Obsessed with Beyonce... he's a great teacher. One ofthe best in the school, and get ready to see Ashton Kutchers face a lot. That's all I'll say. I'm hopping on that class this next semester with the 1st year grad editors so i'll see you there bright and early.

Finally, as to being on set, you have to do it once each semester your first year... but out of 3 cycle filming sessions, you probably want to do 2, meet people, get lots of script supervisor/set experience, and maybe work on a thesis... you learn 200x more on set than in class, even as an editor.

last but not least, since i only check this every so almost never and leave these annoying long posts, if any of you are in Orange, i'm around all summer and so are a ton of other 2nd and 3rd year if you want to get together and hang out and stuff

Andreas

Hey everyone
I got into Chapman directing MFA and I'm looking for someone to share an apartment with. I'm from Greece and I won't be going to Orange till August so it's pretty difficult to make a proper search. I am really easy going and I'd say that other than cleanness I don't have any other quirks.
If anyone is interested let me know :)

Hey andreas, congrats! Are u on facebook? If so, u should join the group 'chapman conservatory fellows'. The rest of us are on there and it's a great place to see who's looking for a roommate. You'll also get an idea about what we're all like! Welcome!

notroberttowne

Okay, so this is an incredibly mundane concern, but does anyone have a line on what I can reasonably expect to pay for internet (or possibly some kind of bundle with cable)? I'm trying to work out budgets, and I'm pretty sure the internet will be essential. Having lived in a few different places, I know that these prices can vary incredibly from region to region, and I am pretty poor.

Jayimess

Internet ala carte's about 35 bucks, bundle it with basic cable for about 75-100, good cable's gonna cost you, though.

It's ludicrous.

Check out Time Warner's website for better info.

OrGr

Hello, everyone , I am a fellow of 09fall Cinematography,glad to see you all , Thanks for your living information ! I hope that we can get to know one another , may be we could make film together in future .

I am busy with apply for my Visa now , I would like to ask when you intend to report to school : )

Thanks everyone .

Clayton

Hi all,

I just found this little message board and was glad to see so many other Chapman people here. I'm heading in as an editor this fall. Anyway, I am looking for a place to live like many of you. If anybody has an extra room or is up for sharing a place let me know. PM or email me.

notroberttowne

Okay, so there are a lot of places to live around Chapman. Many of these places are big apartment complexes, and you can find reviews of many of them online. If you've looked at these reviews, though, you may have noticed that a lot of these reviews are meaningless. Some people give a place one star because the parking is a problem or their landlord prefers to do business via letter rather than in person... So what I want to know is if any current Chapman students have lived in any complexes, and if so, which ones should we consider? Which ones should we avoid like the plague?
I'm giving your opinion more weight than Joe Internets because you happen to attend/have attended the school I'm going to be attending, so take advantage of your position of power and tell us which hell holes we should steer clear of.

Johnny206

Hey everyone,

I will be attending Chapman in the fall (directing) and I'm looking for a roommate or two. Anyone in the same boat?

Latest Applications

Latest reviews