LIVING @ CHAPMAN?

DJ

Chapman
i'm in the same boat. i've been looking at craigslist, but haven't really found anything yet.

StageMom

Congrats accepted students, now you have to choose wisely about where and with whom you will live for the next three years. Here are some resources to help:

http://www.chapman.edu/studentLife/resLife/grad.asp The official Chapman University grad student housing page

http://www.forrent.com/search-...apman-University.php A Very good site to search for rental housing off campus near Chapman University. You can search by college name and limit the distance from the campus. No realtors e-mailed or called me and no spam started after checking this site for a few days. There is a similar site www.mynewplace.com but you can't limit the distance and it may lead you astray. Searching Orange, CA gave properties in Huntington Beach and other distant and high priced areas.

http://www.prudentialcal.com/L...g/ListingSearch.aspx A good place to start if you are able to consider buying an apartment instead of wasting huge sums on rent for the next three years. Also an apartment or condo complex where you can buy usually has owners willing to rent as well so it may lead you to a few more nice complexes. No realtors have called or e-mailed me and no spam.

Happy Hunting!

Last edited by a moderator:

LadyTee

Hey Everyone!

I was recently accepted into the producing program.. I will probably end of renting a three bedroom house 30 min walking distance from Chapman.. in the city of orange. My friend currently goes to Chapman but she says she will be moving out with her parents soon. So I will be looking for 2 other roommates...

but if all doesn't work out with that one I would like to know what other plans you may have.

I have no plans as of yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm attending in the fall, so I need to get on it! Has anybody thought about living outside of Orange? Anaheim or Irvine? I'd like to live in a cool place, not necessarily one that is right next to campus. Anybody know what's considered a happenin' spot?

@LadyTee -- if you're looking for roommates, e-mamil me at greenefilm@gmail.com. I have a girl roommate now and it works great.

Mike_V

Staff member
Chapman
anaheim is not bad, but you gotta make sure you don't end up int he ghetto area..
Irvine is expensive. very expensive. So if you wanna stay there, make sure you have the funding for it. Also, you will probably end up going to LA every once in a while as well, so it would probably be in your best interest to be more towards the N of orange (a 10-15min distance will feel like hours on a bad day).

The areas where most students I know live in are:
Orange
Garden Grove
Santa Ana
Tustin
(there's one more area but I can't remember the name)
and a rare case of a few who do drive down from LA.

friday24

I just sent in my deposit, so I'll be there in the Fall, too. I'm definitely interested in trying to find a place close to campus and some roommates. Somebody mentioned that they had a Facebook page last year--is there one for this year yet?

JeanBarkerZA

Everyone seems to be struggling to find accomm. So I'm guessing that the advertised apartments are mostly not available, or too expensive, or not what they seem. I'm impressed by what they offer though. Swimming pools, gym, parking, balcony, and sometimes free wifi? Just wish I could find a pet-free or at least dog-free block with some character. Am also interested in sharing a house, provided i can find housemates who wash up after themselves, so have requested to join the Chapman Fellows facebook group, which you can easily find by searching on FB with "Chapman Fellows".

DJ

Chapman
is anyone looking to move into a 2 bedroom to lower the cost per person a little? my girlfriend and i are hoping to find a roommate. we were looking mainly at tustin and orange if anyone's interested.

I'm a first year director at Chapman, so I was in all of your shoes last year. Ultimately, I ended up living at La Veta Grand Apartments in Orange. It's only 5 blocks from school, so I ride my bike to class. It's not that bad - spacious, 2 pools, really nice grounds and friendly neighbors. Plus, there's a handful of Chapman students here, which is cool. I pay just over $600 per month in rent, plus utilities. So I'd recommend it to anyone as a more than decent place to start out in CA.

solojones

Yeah, what Nick (Race) said. I don't live there personally but I know tons of people who live at La Veta Grand and it seems nice.

Mike_V

Staff member
Chapman
pft. There are some students who live near the block too... like me...
as an editor i'm more often in the film school though, so that's like.. a second home to me XD

DJ

Chapman
@ race

do you live in a 1 bedroom or with roommates? i haven't seen anything about $600/month rent.

I live with 2 other Chapman grad students. It's a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom setup - not too bad. That's the easiest way to get cheap rent. We're going to try for a house next year, which is supposedly even cheaper. But we found each other on facebook thru the "Chapman Conservatory Fellows" group. And La Veta is a great starter apartment for the Chapman Experience.

DJ

Chapman
oh ok. does anyone know if loans will cover rent or how i could go about applying for enough loans to cover rent, food, etc. considering i have about no money saved?

Latest Applications

Latest reviews