LIVING @ CHAPMAN?

Mike_V

Staff member
Chapman
that's where you find a part time job or a paid internship. most students do that if they're not on vacation.

Mike_V

Staff member
Chapman
they are hidden in the plethora of unpaid internships. They're there. you just have to find it.

Mike_V

Staff member
Chapman
for those who are looking for places to stay, I want to say that if you can, avoid this address:
4623 E. Bond Ave
Orange, CA, 92869

the landlady of this house, barbara rogers, is an extremely problematic landlady. I have since moved out of her place and found out that she used my security deposit and never replenished it to pay me back when I moved out. it has been a month and a half and she still hasn't made an effort to get my security deposit back. I am now planning to sue her for refusing to return my security deposit + refusing to co-operate to find a way to return my deposit.
So if you end up finding a place that is a room in a house, I highly suggest you make sure the landlord/lady is trustworthy, otherwise you might be better off just getting an apartment and sharing with a few friends.

solojones

I'm looking for a female roommate to take over for my roomie who's moving to LA at the end of July. So if any incoming female students want to talk, let me know. It's a master bedroom with its own bathroom, and there's a washer and drier in the unit. I love this place and really don't want to move, so I'd love to find a new female roommate. Let me know if any of you are interested.

DJ

Chapman
if any of your guys are comfortable, could you post your rent/utilities/expenses on this thread so some of us new people can see what we're in for? i'm from the east coast, so it's going to be a struggle to find living arrangements and such, and any information would be extremely helpful.

notroberttowne

I have a pretty cheap two bedroom for the area, and it's 1200 a month (total, not per person). Electricity and water both run between 40 and 50 a month.

If you want to live close enough to walk or bike to school you'll be lucky to beat $1000 for a one bedroom or $600 for a bedroom in a two or three bed place. I was paying $555 for a two bed place on the east coast before I came out, so I definitely feel your pain.

JKSwanson

I'm going into my second year at Chapman as a Director. I live at The Court at Artist's Village in downtown Santa Ana. We have underground, gated parking, large bedrooms, central heat and air, and private baths. Most places in Southern California require you to rent/buy your own refrigerator, but this place is fully stocked. Best of all, each unit has a washer/dryer in it. The prices listed on their website are actually high. I share a 2 bedroom with a Cinematographer in the program and we both pay about $685 per month. They generally offer one month free, which we elected to take off gradually over the year. I like this place, but I'm not gonna lie, residents get a referral fee if anyone signs a lease and gives them their name. Welcome to Chapman, and I hope to meet all of you this fall.

thefrancakes

Hi I just got my acceptance for screenwriting MFA. Ive been checking out craigs list for rooms to rent, but I'm hesitant about living with people I don't know. I did that for undergrad and ended up with two horrible housemates. I was hoping that being with chapman grad students would change the situation and make me less weary. I'm 21, female, non-smoker, and not a heavy partier. I don't mind living with boys, girls, or both. If anyone is in need of a roommate and wants to chat, hit me up.

solojones

Jason, it sounds like you have a pretty sweet hookup there.

Personally, I like in the Orange foothills. I have one room in a 2 bedroom 2.5 bath townhouse style condo. So it's in a little subdivision neighborhood, with a neighborhood pool and hottub. It's 775 per person a month, but for me it is worth it to live in a quiet family neighborhood as opposed to the louder, slightly more grungy downtown area. Oh, and we have parking right in front of our door. Which believe me is hard to find in OC. Although maybe the best part is having a washer/drier in our condo.

milo99

I been accepted to the film studies program next fall, I am looking for a easy going responsible roommate boy/girl. Hope to meet you all soon

Hey, I realize this is a graduate forum, but are there any undergrads on here, or maybe graduate students who would be willing to live with an undergrad looking for roommates?

I'm transferring to Chapman in the fall from Colorado (I'll be a junior) and I'm trying to finalize some living arrangements. Let me know!

notroberttowne

So, any of you incoming folks, I'm looking for a roommate. It's a block or so from the film school and involves living with me, my girlfriend, and a small dog.

Drop me a private message if you're remotely interested and I'll give you the details.

notroberttowne

Honestly, Orange County is like living in a mall. Compared to almost anywhere, it costs a lot, and mostly there's just a lot of shopping and restaurants in lieu of culture or entertainment.

That being said, it is really easy to get wrapped up with the school and the people in it, and it is quick and easy to get to the ocean. I should also throw in that I'm from a rural place with mountains and snow, so I'm not a huge fan of southern california in general for reasons of weather and population density.

And I am in a really crowded and unpleasant part of Santa Ana now rather than in Orange proper, which is less crowded and generally more pleasant.

Oh, and GPA wise, I had a 2.8, but I used my junior/senior GPA and had a 3.12 (which was good enough to avoid the GRE).

Latest Applications

Latest reviews