LMU Film and Television Production-Fall 2020 Official Thread

Johnella18

USC - Applied
Hey Guys! I have an interview scheduled as well with LMU. Does anyone have some kind of idea of the questions they are going to be asking? Thank You :)
Is yours on Monday too?

And I’m just preparing for basic questions like why film school, why LMU, how are you gonna pay for it, etc but also questions specific to my application (be prepared to talk about whatever you sent them). I’ve also just prepared a bunch of questions to ask them just in case there’s extra time

emski94

Howdy!

I also got an interview invite on 01/31! My interview's scheduled for 2/17 :D (I'm for the TV Writing/Producing Track)

Good luck, everyone!

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
BU
While you wait for more info.... Weigh in on your picks for tonight in this thread:

:)

And get that Oscars bingo card. 🤣

Qinyue Luo

Supporting Member
LMU
I've scheduled the interview on the 18th. Can anyone give some tips for the interview? Thanks a lot!!

Steven

😃Hi, everyone!I just interviewed with Professor Skinner Myers and Lenna Pendharkar 2:40 PM PST today. It only takes 15 mins, and much easier than I thought it would be. I felt nervous at first because I am an international student and my speaking is not that well. But Professor all looked very easy-going and the atmosphere of the interview was just like a conversation. It seemed they just want to know more about their applicants.
Here is the question list I remember. Hope it will help someone the next.

LMU 2-11 Interview Question
  • Why apply to LMU?
  • What is the inspiration for you to choose filmmaking? What story?
  • What abilities do you want to learn from our school?
  • What kind of film do you want to make?
  • What do you want to be in the future? Producer? Director?
  • Do you have some other hobbies?
  • Do you have any questions for me?
Just take it easy! Best Luck to everyone!

Last edited:

Johnella18

USC - Applied
OMG!! How was it??!! Who were your interviewers?
Hey I don't remember their names but they were two white gentleman so that naturally made me very nervous (I am not white and I am female lol) but they were really great. They listened to my answers and gave me some great information. Don't be nervous. I'll admit I was in the hours leading up to the interview, but they were really calm. The whole thing was calm. I only panicked at one question because I didn't understand it fully, but the second interviewer clarified it pretty quickly. It was actually about diversity and what I could offer to the school. But they were cool dudes and I would love the opportunity to develop my talent with them.

Hope this helps!

andy001

Hey all!
Just had my interview with Professor Livingstone and Mr. Brancolini. Very nice gentlemen! Interview went well. I think I rambled a little bit on a few questions but I hope that works to my advantage. It was very informative. Good luck everyone!

Qinyue Luo

Supporting Member
LMU
Hey I don't remember their names but they were two white gentleman so that naturally made me very nervous (I am not white and I am female lol) but they were really great. They listened to my answers and gave me some great information. Don't be nervous. I'll admit I was in the hours leading up to the interview, but they were really calm. The whole thing was calm. I only panicked at one question because I didn't understand it fully, but the second interviewer clarified it pretty quickly. It was actually about diversity and what I could offer to the school. But they were cool dudes and I would love the opportunity to develop my talent with them.

Hope this helps!
Hi! Can you recall some of the questions they've asked you? And did your interview last for 15 mins or longer? I'm not sure if I'm allowed to go beyond that time limit. Thanks!

Qinyue Luo

Supporting Member
LMU
Hey all!
Just had my interview with Professor Livingstone and Mr. Brancolini. Very nice gentlemen! Interview went well. I think I rambled a little bit on a few questions but I hope that works to my advantage. It was very informative. Good luck everyone!
hi! Hope you will hear good news back! Can you recall some of the questions they asked? My interview is tomorrow and I'm so nervous now T.T

andy001

hi! Hope you will hear good news back! Can you recall some of the questions they asked? My interview is tomorrow and I'm so nervous now T.T
Thank you and sure! So the order of the questions went like this
1. Why LMU?
2. At LMU we are looking for true original voices in the next generation of filmmakers, how do you fit into this and what are you contributing at our program?
3. What are your strongest skills in filmmaking and what do you want to focus on or get better at?
4. At LMU, our program is very integrated in the collaboration process with your fellows classmates, what is your philosophy behind the collaborative process?

And I believe that’s it from what I remember. I answered each for about a minute and half, maybe two minutes on some which might have been a lot but don’t be nervous! Just be yourself and answer them to the best of your ability. I actually had my interview over the phone because the video call wasn’t working on their end for some reason. Good luck! It will go great!

Qinyue Luo

Supporting Member
LMU
Thank you and sure! So the order of the questions went like this
1. Why LMU?
2. At LMU we are looking for true original voices in the next generation of filmmakers, how do you fit into this and what are you contributing at our program?
3. What are your strongest skills in filmmaking and what do you want to focus on or get better at?
4. At LMU, our program is very integrated in the collaboration process with your fellows classmates, what is your philosophy behind the collaborative process?

And I believe that’s it from what I remember. I answered each for about a minute and half, maybe two minutes on some which might have been a lot but don’t be nervous! Just be yourself and answer them to the best of your ability. I actually had my interview over the phone because the video call wasn’t working on their end for some reason. Good luck! It will go great!
Thank you so much!!

emski94

I had my interview yesterday, and it was about 13 minutes (they have a tight schedule for interviews)

The questions they asked me were:

1. What jobs are you working/what writing have you been up to?

1a. They asked me to tell them a little bit about the pilot I was working on and the arc it would have for the series

2. What TV shows have you been watching?

3. Why LMU?

4.What hobbies do you have outside of writing?

And then they asked me what questions I had : ) They were so nice and honestly it was super conversational.

Qinyue Luo

Supporting Member
LMU
How'd it go?
It went well I think! My laptop audio and mic didn't work at the beginning, but I got it fixed really quick and they said it was impressive lol

My interviewers were Mr. Swanson and Mr. Zirpola, both were very kind. The whole interview was kind of conversational but I was the one mainly talking the whole time.

These are the questions they asked me (and other applicants):
Why LMU?
What other hobbies do you have?
Why filmmaking, what inspiration/story?
What abilities do you want to learn from our school?
What do you want to be in the future? Producer? Director?
What kind of film do you want to make?
How could you contribute to LMU community?
What questions do you have for us?

manifesttheemmy

Hi all-

I'm applying for Writing and Producing for Television, but I thought it may still be helpful to join the thread. Wanted to give you an update after the LMU interview I had on 2/17. It was a Skype call for me, but the professors were very nice and it was clear that they were actually familiar with my work before our call took place. They asked me about my producing experience and what I was currently writing and working on. They talked a lot about the family culture of LMU and they seemed to really enjoy their work and want the best for their students. LMU is absolutely my first choice, so I'm absolutely hoping I get in!

Latest Applications

Latest reviews