LMU Film and Television Production-Fall 2020 Official Thread

Anyone knows what the caller’s number starts with? I missed a call from LA due to phone bug and can’t call back, but I don’t want anyone to leak the full number

Yeah I got a call from a professor and they're taking a vote. I was hoping more people wouldn't mind in-person :( I mean I can't imagine production classes being online. But I guess we'll know more soon.

I'm definitely looking at taking the online option at this point, which I would have NEVER said a month ago - the idea of moving across the country mid-pandemic is daunting, especially given how much trouble I'm having finding housing. I have my advising appointment tomorrow to talk about it.

I'm definitely looking at taking the online option at this point, which I would have NEVER said a month ago - the idea of moving across the country mid-pandemic is daunting, especially given how much trouble I'm having finding housing. I have my advising appointment tomorrow to talk about it.
I applied for grad housing at Playa Del Oro. I think the application is still open if that's an option for you!

Yes, moving in the middle of this situation is very stressful. I was hoping things would get better by this time, but they haven't. I have some questions before making any decision.

I applied for grad housing at Playa Del Oro. I think the application is still open if that's an option for you!

I checked into it! I have a tiny dog though, and while Playa Del Oro does allow dogs, the graduate part of it doesn't. I'd make the argument that my dog is really a person but...

Yes, moving in the middle of this situation is very stressful. I was hoping things would get better by this time, but they haven't. I have some questions before making any decision.

I decided to do the remote semester. I wouldn't have chosen that a month ago, but between the logistics of moving and the unknowns, it just feels like a better idea. I had my advising appointment today which was great - feeling good about my choice.

I too was starting to think about not attending graduate school at all this year due to the uncertainties of the coronavirus pandemic (particularly the seeming inevitability of a bad second wave coming this fall/winter), but then they proposed the online semester option and that actually got the gears turning in my head. Like, moving to Los Angeles and getting a studio or one bedroom place and living alone due to not knowing anybody you trust is by itself a monster expense right? So I've realized that doing the first semester remotely might be a great way to get to know your fellow classmates from across the country and ultimately find someone who would make an ideal roommate before having to make the big move! It also doesn't hurt that by living at home for a semester you will be saving even more money.

Really, on second thought, it's not a bad solution at all, and if they just do something like front-load the theory/screenwriting/history classes and save the production stuff for the Spring, I don't see why they can't pull this off.

I decided to have in-person courses. I understand that the situation is bad and unknown. However, it is hard to learn in online courses for me, and we would lack interaction with other students (I think interaction is important for filmmaking students.) However, online courses also a good choice for the situation, which can make sure all students are safe.

BTW, I am from Taiwan. I haven't found a good place for housing yet. Maybe I could wait for other students' decisions. :oops: If we take online courses, I don't need to move to LA. 😂

One quick question do you guys know if the tuition it's going to be the same for in-person and online?

I believe so. I asked about my financial aid package changing because of the online option I'm taking and she said there was no change as remote is just as much work - and in some cases, more - for the faculty.

I would love to take them in person. But I'm afraid that in the middle of the semester, they send us back home because of another outbreak (since L.A. it's in lockdown till August), and then I moved to L.A. when I could stay online from the beginning and save more money. That's what I'm afraid of, something that is out of everybody's control.

I truly intended to start online as I'm eager to move out to LA, but the logistics were becoming too chaotic given COVID. It works out that I can continue to work through the end of the year, save a bit more money, and fly out to apartment hunt and hopefully sign a lease in person. My advising appointment was really helpful with suggesting areas to look, etc.

So I wonder if some will do online and others in-person, or if they'll just go with the general consensus? Because it sounds like you guys have already decided you will take classes online. So is there not a vote anymore? And are you all not attending orientation because I was told that that for certain was happening in-person. I'm so confused I need a solid email of The Plan for the Fall. lol

So I wonder if some will do online and others in-person, or if they'll just go with the general consensus? Because it sounds like you guys have already decided you will take classes online. So is there not a vote anymore? And are you all not attending orientation because I was told that that for certain was happening in-person. I'm so confused I need a solid email of The Plan for the Fall. lol

During my advising appointment, I was told there would be an online AND in-person option for every single component of the fall semester. I'm marked as "online" and should be receiving an updated schedule soon. In-person is for sure an option for those who are able (or want to) make it to campus, but with face masks, etc. Honestly? Not having to wear a mask was a small factor in my decision to do classes remote. I LOATHE my mask. The idea of sitting with it for 3+ hours in a classroom? Ugh. First responders have all my love and admiration, for many reasons, but also for their ability to wear those masks for 12+ hour shifts.

I'm thinking about starting in-person, but I haven't made my final desition. Because of the restrictions and protocols, maybe it's not going to be possible to work as close as a "regular" semester (thank you for pointing that out about the masks).

During my advising appointment, I was told there would be an online AND in-person option for every single component of the fall semester. I'm marked as "online" and should be receiving an updated schedule soon. In-person is for sure an option for those who are able (or want to) make it to campus, but with face masks, etc. Honestly? Not having to wear a mask was a small factor in my decision to do classes remote. I LOATHE my mask. The idea of sitting with it for 3+ hours in a classroom? Ugh. First responders have all my love and admiration, for many reasons, but also for their ability to wear those masks for 12+ hour shifts.
Oh thank you for the clarity!

How did you get an advising appointment? They just sent me an email like "here, these the classes you need to register for . . . now go register for em" and that was that. The phone call from the professor was really brief as he just wanted to know which I preferred. I'd love an advising appointment lol. Are you in the production or one of the writing tracks?

Thank you for your help!

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back