LMU Film and Television Production-Fall 2020 Official Thread

andy001

Hey all!
Decided to start a thread for LMU for next fall. Feel free to post anything regarding the application if you’ve applied or are in the process of applying. Best regards!

Hey all!
Decided to start a thread for LMU for next fall. Feel free to post anything regarding the application if you’ve applied or are in the process of applying. Best regards!
Hi Andy!
Happy to see someone opening a thread about LMU for 2020! I am almost done with all the required materials however, while I was re-reading the requirements, I felt a little confused about the Personal Statement. The website states: Your personal statement should be a story about you. How have your life experiences, choices, and values shaped you as a storyteller? What has influenced your unique voice? Tell us about three films, TV shows, or plays that have had an impact on you and why. Describe the last three books you read. Why do you want to attend the MFA in Film and Television Production program at Loyola Marymount University?"By reading it, it seems like we have to write about all these things, three books, films, and all those other things within 1000 words. Is this just a general guideline as what we could write about or are we supposed to actually touch each point?

Hi Andy!
Happy to see someone opening a thread about LMU for 2020! I am almost done with all the required materials however, while I was re-reading the requirements, I felt a little confused about the Personal Statement. The website states: Your personal statement should be a story about you. How have your life experiences, choices, and values shaped you as a storyteller? What has influenced your unique voice? Tell us about three films, TV shows, or plays that have had an impact on you and why. Describe the last three books you read. Why do you want to attend the MFA in Film and Television Production program at Loyola Marymount University?"By reading it, it seems like we have to write about all these things, three books, films, and all those other things within 1000 words. Is this just a general guideline as what we could write about or are we supposed to actually touch each point?
Hey!
So, great question. I was very curious about this myself when I wrote and had to edit it many times. Just to be safe, I fit in everything around 1000 words. It’s odd, because to even add those seems to take a lot of space but I would just stick to what they ask and include those in there. Good luck with the rest of your application!

Hey guys! I am also applying and am wondering if anyone else is not submitting a "complete film" for their visual sample. I know they prefer complete films, but I've grown a lot since I've created most of the work I do have that's under ten minutes. So I'm gonna submit the first ten minutes of a 25 minute short I created.

Any thoughts on this? Is a complete story better than an excerpt?

Howdy!
So yeah, I was in similar position. My best work is definitely longer than 5 minutes, so I had to compromise a bit and show one that wasn’t my favorite but at least had some production value and looked pretty good. I think that’d be fine if you show the first ten minutes. They might watch the whole thing anyway, I would imagine. If any of your shorter ones aren’t your best but can at least tell a coherent story regardless of production value I’d say submit that but if you feel your work is significantly better in the longer one then I would probably choose that instead. they are cool with you at least showing the best 10 continuous minutes of a short. Hope this helps!

Howdy!
So yeah, I was in similar position. My best work is definitely longer than 5 minutes, so I had to compromise a bit and show one that wasn’t my favorite but at least had some production value and looked pretty good. I think that’d be fine if you show the first ten minutes. They might watch the whole thing anyway, I would imagine. If any of your shorter ones aren’t your best but can at least tell a coherent story regardless of production value I’d say submit that but if you feel your work is significantly better in the longer one then I would probably choose that instead. they are cool with you at least showing the best 10 continuous minutes of a short. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the advice! I rewatched everything and yeah I'm gonna submit the excerpt. The story and production value are just better.

Today's the day! Best of luck everyone!

Deadline is on the 10th. 2 days. How's everyone doing? It was the 4th. Document has been fixed.

Last edited:
Slightly confused! Is the deadline actually the 10th? LMU website says “Applicants must submit the following materials to the Graduate Division by Wednesday, December 4, 2019.”
Thank you! It's been updated. I have no idea why it was wrong in the document. Thanks for letting me know.

Slightly confused! Is the deadline actually the 10th? LMU website says “Applicants must submit the following materials to the Graduate Division by Wednesday, December 4, 2019.”
I really hope no one missed the deadline because of this typo on the site. :( Please double check all the deadlines listed there and obviously go by what the school says and not here for the final word on deadlines.

So they just received my transcripts today even though I originally sent them last Monday (apparently LMU never got them) I had to go back to my school and pay five dollars for them to resend them again today. Hope it doesn't affect their decision.

Anyway, just venting. Lol. Hope nobody else had these kinds of problems.

Hey everyone, just got an email today inviting me to an interview with LMU! Has anyone else heard anything? Does anyone have insight on what to expect from this interview?
How are you preparing? I looked up the two professors interviewing me and they're already intimidating me.

Hey Guys! I have an interview scheduled as well with LMU. Does anyone have some kind of idea of the questions they are going to be asking? Thank You :)

Hey Guys! I have an interview scheduled as well with LMU. Does anyone have some kind of idea of the questions they are going to be asking? Thank You :)
Nice! Good luck. Be sure to update your application with the interview dates etc....

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back