LMU vs Chapman Film School MFA

Has anyone heard a rumor that LMU is having trouble filling seats for Production in the Fall 2018? I've heard the same about Chapman. That they're calling applicants who decided on another school to offer the money to attend. If anyone has any insight into this, please share.

Truuuuee. I’m gonna do some more research on them. I know Justin Simien based Dear White People off his experience in Chapman so I’ll try to see if I can find anything else on them.

There are actually a lot of notable alums: The Duffer Brothers, Justin Simien, John Swetnam (sells multiple specs a year), Ben York Jones & Michael Mohan (creators of Everything Sucks on Netflix), Carlos Lopez Estrada (directed Blindspotting), Kelly Galuska (writer on Bojack Horseman), Scott Speer (director Step Up franchise), etc. There are lots of working pros in the business too. I've produced 15 features and almost 100 hours of primetime TV since I graduated with my MFA in 2012. Guys and girls I graduated with are working in different facets of production, including scripted and unscripted editing and in executive level positions at major production companies and studios.

Anyway, I'm biased because I went there, but I couldn't imagine going anywhere else at this point. I received a $4k per semester fellowship and the producing program is only 2 years, so the loans I had to take out were significantly less than those on the production track. Living costs were not that expensive for me when living in Orange, but the commute was deadly when traveling to LA for work / internships. Chapman's faculty is unbeatable in my opinion.

And don't forget Chapman's budget allowances toward the shorts you're required to make during the program. $5k is allotted toward both cycle films and $10,000 is allotted toward your thesis. If you tack this onto the cost of your LMU totals, it seems pretty close. You'll be able to raise some money via Kickstarter / Indiegogo, but when I went through the program these crowdsourcing options were new and I feel like people aren't donating as much now because everyone and their mother are asking for money. If you're thinking you'll be able to squeak through without putting thousands of dollars into these films, that will be difficult. Even if you're able to get some free gear through LMU (cameras, lights, etc), there are additional costs that will have to come out of pocket (grip truck, location fees, craft service, catering, gas for actors, hard drives, etc). Just things to keep in mind.

Last edited:
Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back