LMU Writing for the Screen 2019

Lifeisnoholiday

@Naya86

Thank you for sharing, that's really useful info! What did you answer to "why LMU?', by the way? :)

WriterK90

Supporting Member
Did anyone get an email to submit their fafsa? I submitted back in NOV so i'm not sure if I should disregard or panic that none of the schools recieved it months ago when I thought they did. 😕

Zach0323

Did anyone get an email to submit their fafsa? I submitted back in NOV so i'm not sure if I should disregard or panic that none of the schools recieved it months ago when I thought they did. 😕
I just got that email as well. LMU was the one school I didn't submit it to, so it wasn't surprising, though. I know that USC has the information, but I'm not sure on anywhere else.

WriterK90

Supporting Member
I just got that email as well. LMU was the one school I didn't submit it to, so it wasn't surprising, though. I know that USC has the information, but I'm not sure on anywhere else.
Same. I have to double check my other schools because I know financial aid deadlines have passed for a few of them by now. But when I filled out my fafsa I added all 6 schools so they should have received it. Maybe it was just sent too soon on my end.

Lifeisnoholiday

So, just had my interview!

I talked to Mark Schwartz and Patricia Meyer (she did most of the talking, Mark mostly gave remarks).
Overall it was strikingly casual. There was a lot of smiling, joking, etc. The whole call lasted like 15 minutes.
We started from discussing time zone difference between LA and Moscow, which I thought was a nice little ice-breaker. After that, their questions were the following:
— What did I do after my BA?
— What am I working on now? (pitched a feature script I was outlining)
— How would I pay for tuition?
— What was my favorite movie?
— What would I like to write? (I answered that, also pitched a tv show)
— Have I been to LA?
— Did I have any questions for them? (That was probably the only part I screwed up, although I guess not too hard. I thought for a while, then came up with a question about collaboration with directors. DO PREPARE THOSE QUESTIONS.)

I guess that's it. Both were very friendly. They said they were impressed with my application and that I pitched my ideas to them like I understood what writing stories, on the whole, was about.

They emphasized how important it was to them to help students network and get jobs. I think they even provide their alumni with, like, a supervisor from the industry? Which sounds really cool. Also, they talked about how they tried to provide students with a lot of internships, etc.

Generally, I think it went ok, maybe even good. By the end, they said that they were sure that I would be an asset to any workshop. Let's see if that's enough to get accepted :).

So, my advice would be to remain calm, most of all. It was clear from our call that getting to the interview part already means a lot. It's a nice conversation. Of course, you have to try and be the best version of yourself, give meaningful answers and all that, but please don't be afraid :).

Good luck to everybody, hope it helps!

Naya86

@Naya86

Thank you for sharing, that's really useful info! What did you answer to "why LMU?', by the way? :)
I told them how I found the three year model to be helpful in teaching useful, professional skills. I also mentioned how the Jesuit values, particularly the emphasis on equity, are important to my personal life philosophy and work.

Shade

Interview today. Created an account just for this. These threads have been invaluable to me, so I wanted to give back by sharing my tips and suggestions.

I interviewed with Michelle Gillie and Patricia Meyer. They were both very friendly, and talkative. Like very talkative. I had to force my comments into the "conversation". The interview lasted only 20 minutes, so my main advice would be to have clear, succinct responses prepared. The online dynamic really makes the whole thing feel rushed, for some reason.

These are the questions they asked me:
-Where do you live? How do you plan on getting here?
-What have you been doing since you graduated college?
-What (script) are you working on right now?
-What are your strengths and weaknesses?
-Why LMU?
-How are you planning on paying for grad school?

That's it. The interview flew by. The questions were catered towards my application, and they did point out how one of my responses was similar to my statement, so expect them to have read your material closely.

Lastly, I did receive a compliment on my pitch for an original screenplay (it wasn't asked of me, I just gave it). The more prepared to discuss your writing, the better.

Hope this helps someone. Let me know if you want me to discuss anything further.
Yeap. Almost the same questions. I live here so they didn't ask me about where I was living or how I was planning to pay for this, which I'm not sure if it's good or bad (the fact that they didn't ask me how I was planning to pay for this). But then again I'm international.

Shade

Automated email. I'm international and I received it as well, even though I can't apply for that.

Lifeisnoholiday

I told them how I found the three year model to be helpful in teaching useful, professional skills. I also mentioned how the Jesuit values, particularly the emphasis on equity, are important to my personal life philosophy and work.
Man, that's a good answer. I only mentioned their efforts to help students get into industry.

Naya86

Man, that's a good answer. I only mentioned their efforts to help students get into industry.
Thank you! Not going to lie, I prepared extensively for these interviews, particularly in talking points about how each program fits me personally. It's very important I go somewhere I feel meshes with my values and goals.

I wouldn't cast doubt to your own answer, if my advice means anything to you. Judging from your easier post, you had a very "successful" interview (in that you communicated your goals clearly). With interviews, they are just trying to get a sense of who you are, and there will never be a wrong answer for that (unless maybe you're a Ted Bundy cultist or something, but that's for another forum).

I hope the other applications are going well for you!

Naya86

Yeap. Almost the same questions. I live here so they didn't ask me about where I was living or how I was planning to pay for this, which I'm not sure if it's good or bad (the fact that they didn't ask me how I was planning to pay for this). But then again I'm international.
They only asked me if I was planning on commuting because they saw I put "Long Beach" as my place of residence in my application. Apparently, they once had a girl who commuted from Long Beach and missed out on a lot of meetups and internships; they didn't want the same for me (I plan on moving anyways because I live in a garbage apartment, lol).

As for the aid, they mentioned they had to ask me because they are working on finding packages and wanted to know the financial aid situations of their candidates. Honestly, I'm not sure whether your international status has anything to do with it, but I am glad you applied :)

Lifeisnoholiday

@Naya86

Thank you! Yeah, I feel like mine went ok, too. Anyway, I'm sure your thoroughness is going to pay off. Good luck and hope you get accepted!

Naya86

Check those applications once again, ladies and gentlemen. I hope you all get the good news!

Received via email an hour ago:

"Dear Matthew Jennings,

An update has been made regarding your application to one of LMU’s graduate programs. Please visit the Application Status Page for further details.

Best,
LMU Graduate Admission Office"

Lifeisnoholiday

Check those applications once again, ladies and gentlemen. I hope you all get the good news!

Received via email an hour ago:

"Dear Matthew Jennings,

An update has been made regarding your application to one of LMU’s graduate programs. Please visit the Application Status Page for further details.

Best,
LMU Graduate Admission Office"
So, did you get accepted?

Lifeisnoholiday

Congratulations, that's so cool! You deserve this!

Cody Young

Tattoo/Film Enthusiast
Supporting Member

Shade

I was notified a couple days ago there was a mixup with my transcripts, so I'm still trying to sort that out. Maybe that's delayed things. I mean, Idk at this point but I'm not sure if they would bother getting in touch with me to ask me for x and y material if I hadn't been accepted?

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Cal State Northridge (CSUN) - MFA in Screenwriting Program
    3.00 star(s)
    I was accepted to the CSUN MFA program in 2018 and took part in in for a full year; however, I recently decided not to go back and complete the...
    • Anonymous
  • Savannah College of Art and Design (MFA)
    1.00 star(s)
    The school is a complete honeypot, department head Donald.W Moffett has limited film production experience and has not idea how to properly guide...
    • Anonymous
  • Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    Emerson opened a lot of doors for me, so I can't dismiss that fact. However, I don't think it was necessary for me to go to Emerson as opposed to...
    • Anonymous
  • NYU - Tisch Kanbar Institute of Film and Television (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    Currently in my third year of my MFA at NYU Tisch Grad Film (writing/directing). I cannot praise this program enough! It exceeded any expectation...
    • Anonymous
  • National Film and Television School (NFTS)
    5.00 star(s)
    I'm currently in my first year of a 2 year MA at the NFTS. I saw these relatively negative reviews about the NFTS before I applied, but I can now...
    • VDW