LMU Writing for the Screen 2019

Shade

Just a heads-up: I just received an interview notification from LMU (Writing for the Screen program). It looks like they're doing interviews this year, as opposed to the selection process over the last couple of years?

They send you an email with a Google form and you need to pick a spot for Monday, 28, or Monday, 4 on February.

It seems to be new. I've never heard of LMU doing interviews before but looks like they're implementing this system from now on.

Anyone got theirs?

Has anyone else heard from any faculty or admissions regarding this program for interviews and whatnot? I figured quite a few people on this site applied to this program but it doesn't look like many have interviews scheduled.

Has anyone else heard from any faculty or admissions regarding this program for interviews and whatnot? I figured quite a few people on this site applied to this program but it doesn't look like many have interviews scheduled.
I have mine this Monday. I'll ask them if they're planning to do more interviews, or how the admission process goes, if I can. Maybe some people don't need interviews...? Like USC? This interview process seems to be new at LMU, so I can't be sure. I know it's stressful not to know, so I'll do my best to ask and let you all know <3

I have mine this Monday. I'll ask them if they're planning to do more interviews, or how the admission process goes, if I can. Maybe some people don't need interviews...? Like USC? This interview process seems to be new at LMU, so I can't be sure. I know it's stressful not to know, so I'll do my best to ask and let you all know <3
You’re awesome. I know that could be a weight off my shoulders as well as so many others on here I’m sure. :)

Yeah, this would be so cool, thank you!

By the way, I just got my notification from LMU. I'm having an interview on February the 6th. I'm going to Skype with them from Moscow, so it's gonna be middle of the night for me lol

Can you let us know what kind of questions they ask you, please? Thank you!

I went in to speak with the admissions officers at LMU in person, and they were explaining their new process. They apparently are increasing the scholarship opportunities, and so everyone who they want to admit will be interviewed. The interview will determine both if the person should be admitted, and the size of their financial aid. Good luck, all! My interview is tomorrow.

I went in to speak with the admissions officers at LMU in person, and they were explaining their new process. They apparently are increasing the scholarship opportunities, and so everyone who they want to admit will be interviewed. The interview will determine both if the person should be admitted, and the size of their financial aid. Good luck, all! My interview is tomorrow.

I had my interview for the writing and producing mfa but when comparing notes with someone who interviewed for this program, we were interviewed by the same people. That is great news. I asked about scholarships and they said they were trying to get more funding and I'll know more in March. I wasn't sure to take that as a positive or a negative because she really didn't sound sure. I did feel that they were interviewing me with high interest of accepting me. Even their wording sounded like I was already in but I refuse to get my hopes up that high. I just... really hope I get funding. It can sadly be a deal breaker if another school offers more in the end. I'm really loving LMU.

I know the feeling, @WriterK90. It did seem they were not 100% sure about funding amounts, but they emphasized that they were focusing on it. Their goal is to offer full-rides in the next two years. Just have to go where the money is, in the end.

What types of questions did they ask you?

I had my interview for the writing and producing mfa but when comparing notes with someone who interviewed for this program, we were interviewed by the same people. That is great news. I asked about scholarships and they said they were trying to get more funding and I'll know more in March. I wasn't sure to take that as a positive or a negative because she really didn't sound sure. I did feel that they were interviewing me with high interest of accepting me. Even their wording sounded like I was already in but I refuse to get my hopes up that high. I just... really hope I get funding. It can sadly be a deal breaker if another school offers more in the end. I'm really loving LMU.
What questions were you asked? If I may ask?

Also, anyone know the cost per year? Is it 15k or 20k? I keep finding different information

I know the feeling, @WriterK90. It did seem they were not 100% sure about funding amounts, but they emphasized that they were focusing on it. Their goal is to offer full-rides in the next two years. Just have to go where the money is, in the end.

What types of questions did they ask you?

I gave a quick summary of what I was asked and how things went in the writing and producing thread. I wasn't asked about my writing suppliments but another person was, so be prepared for that too. They kind of ask questions based on the flow of the conversation.

I gave a quick summary of what I was asked and how things went in the writing and producing thread. I wasn't asked about my writing suppliments but another person was, so be prepared for that too. They kind of ask questions based on the flow of the conversation.
Thank you! Gotcha! Did they offer admission right away or did they say you have to wait to know until March?

Thank you! Gotcha! Did they offer admission right away or did they say you have to wait to know until March?

They didn't offer admission officially. When I asked about schlarships they said they are working on it and I'll know more in March.

Thanks all! My interview went smoothly, apart from zoom technical difficulties on their side :/ Good luck on admission!

Thanks all! My interview went smoothly, apart from zoom technical difficulties on their side :/ Good luck on admission!

That's great to hear! Did they say anything more about scholarships?

I panicked so much with the zoom software because I tested it earlier and it worked fine, but when I tried to enter at my time slot it said my session was already going... About 6 minutes in they let me in, and I assume they were just a few minutes behind, but at first, I thought I had to do something to get in. Man was I panicking hard. lol

@WriterK90 @JDog

Thank you for sharing! Judging from your posts, the interviews weren't tough? I'm having mine on the 6th.

Interview today. Created an account just for this. These threads have been invaluable to me, so I wanted to give back by sharing my tips and suggestions.

I interviewed with Michelle Gillie and Patricia Meyer. They were both very friendly, and talkative. Like very talkative. I had to force my comments into the "conversation". The interview lasted only 20 minutes, so my main advice would be to have clear, succinct responses prepared. The online dynamic really makes the whole thing feel rushed, for some reason.

These are the questions they asked me:
-Where do you live? How do you plan on getting here?
-What have you been doing since you graduated college?
-What (script) are you working on right now?
-What are your strengths and weaknesses?
-Why LMU?
-How are you planning on paying for grad school?

That's it. The interview flew by. The questions were catered towards my application, and they did point out how one of my responses was similar to my statement, so expect them to have read your material closely.

Lastly, I did receive a compliment on my pitch for an original screenplay (it wasn't asked of me, I just gave it). The more prepared to discuss your writing, the better.

Hope this helps someone. Let me know if you want me to discuss anything further.

Interview today. Created an account just for this. These threads have been invaluable to me, so I wanted to give back by sharing my tips and suggestions.
Welcome to the site! Thank you for sharing your experience and please do stick around. :)

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back