LMU Writing & Producing for TV 2021 (1 Viewer)

theMorrigan

Supporter+
Hello! I didn't see a thread for LMU's writing MFA programs, either Writing & Producing for TV or Writing for the Screen. Personally, my focus is Writing & Producing for TV, but I'm happy to see anyone applying to LMU sound off and support each other in the MFA application journey.

How's everyone doing with the process? Feeling confident? Feeling nervous? Sound off and get support here. After all, we're all in this together. :)

thespian

MFA Applicant
Supporter+
Writing for the Screen here. Very nervous-- if past years are anything to go by, it seems like they'll be sending out interview notifications anytime now. It's my first time applying, so I've got big-time jitters. o_O Or maybe it's just my COVID acting up. Ha.

Sh_Rx

Writing for the Screen here. Very nervous-- if past years are anything to go by, it seems like they'll be sending out interview notifications anytime now. It's my first time applying, so I've got big-time jitters. o_O Or maybe it's just my COVID acting up. Ha.
They will start interviewing on Feb 10th

theMorrigan

Supporter+
Oh I should add, I am in the film and TV production pool
Congrats on the interview request, @Isthison? !

I got an interview invitation as well, though Nicole also emailed to say the system is down for maintenance. She let me know I'll be able to request a date and time on Monday.

Though, typing this, I'm not sure I remembered to submit my application info here. I'll get on that, @Chris W !

DarynRobinson

Supporter+
Same thing happened with me. I was able to reschedule my interview for next Tuesday. Ahhhh so excited!

thespian

MFA Applicant
Supporter+
Did anyone write something in for "Please share anything that will help prepare for our meeting"? Not sure what they might be fishing for.

DarynRobinson

Supporter+
Did anyone write something in for "Please share anything that will help prepare for our meeting"? Not sure what they might be fishing for.
I have a professional website with my full resume/bio, some published writing samples, and some short films I worked on. So, I posted the link to that to give them a bigger picture of who I am as a filmmaker!

DarynRobinson

Supporter+

theMorrigan

Supporter+
So sorry for the late check-in/report! Had a family thing come up that took up a bit of time.

So, onto the interview! My interview was with the program Director, Patricia Meyer, and Stephen Duncan. Both were warm, personable, and immediately set me at ease -- no small feat, as I tend to percolate anxiety when on camera. My Zoom background (Pike Place Market, 1913) broke the ice and we were off to the races.

I think someone said this in a previous year's LMU thread: don't expect a classic interview structure. They're looking to get to know you and, also, to give you more information about the program. There were moments in which we followed a conversational thread that strayed from a typical interview path, but it was good discourse and contributed to the overall energy.

The questions they asked:
- Why LMU?
- What are you writing? Have you found quarantine to impact your creativity?
- What are you watching? What shows influence you?
- Do you have any questions for us?

I made sure to have 4 questions prepared, but only had the time to ask 2 questions. They let me know that I could contact Nicole and Caitlin with any other questions I might have about the program.

I'm sure that I could look back and see things I could have articulated better but, overall, the stress leading up to the interview was much worse than being in those 20 minutes. They passed in what felt like a great conversation.

mucus

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone!! I’ve been lurking for a while and the information y’all have shared has been a big help. Just finished my interview today and I feel a big weight off my shoulders. Good luck everyone!! They asked similar questions in my interview with the addition of something along the lines of "What hobbies outside of writing do you enjoy".

DarynRobinson

Supporter+
I also completed my interview today. Thanks for the heads up for all the questions! They asked me similar questions to the ones listed above, and then we also talked about "how I am continuing to create content during quarantine", since I come from a comedy background. Best of luck to everyone on this thread!!!

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
New article you might find interesting although it's for the production side:

Q & A With Adriano Mirchou, LMU Graduate Film Production Student

Q & A With Adriano Mirchou, LMU Graduate Film Production Student

Located in Los Angeles, CA, the hub of the film industry, Loyola Marymount University is ranked by Hollywood Reporter as the 7th best film school in America. LMU School of Film and Television has a 12:1 student to faculty ratio with 758 undergraduate and 220 graduate students enrolled. Notable...

DarynRobinson

Supporter+
How's everyone feeling? I'm getting antsy over here.
Okay same!!! I have been refreshing the website a few times everyday. My interview was almost 3 weeks ago. I've got a couple acceptances from other schools but I would just like to know from everyone already!

MFA Film & TV Production applicant here! LMU is the only school I applied to so the anxiety is SO much worse. I check everything every hour and it's been hard to focus on anything else, lol. I'm really hoping we find out starting this week!!! 🤞🏼

Add your film school application to our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Add Application…

Student Films Made at Film Programs

A248
Views
Reaction score
An artist invites an especially harsh critic to her studio for an exclusive preview of her latest work.
Film Program
Loyola Marymount University
Course
PROD 550
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Horror
Duration/Running Time
6:01
Film Completion
May 1, 2019
Colella612
Updated
3.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Views
Reaction score
Reviews
Questions
After the light bulb on her film projector burns out, an elderly woman must confront a nightmarish world as well as the trauma of her past as she seeks to find a replacement before her memories are lost forever.
Film Program
Course
Directing Short Film II: Visual Story
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Drama
Duration/Running Time
5:58
Film Completion
May 3, 2021
A248
Views
Reaction score
One man's mission to document and preserve the history and pop culture of the San Fernando Valley in Southern California. Tommy Gelinas was born and raised in the San Fernando Valley in Southern California. He grew up visiting restaurants, malls, and many other venues that slowly declined and...
Film Program
Course
PROD 600
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Documentary
Duration/Running Time
13:52
Film Completion
Dec 1, 2020

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Add your own Application to our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications