London Film School (LFS) vs London Film Academy (LFA) vs MetFilm School vs University of Arts, London (UAL) vs Goldsmiths, University of London? (1 Viewer)

Anush

Hi, My name is Anush Saxena and I am from India. I am interested in pursuing a MA/MFA in Filmmaking from UK. I am confused between these schools but I can't make up my mind as there are no official rankings on the internet. Some articles put LFS on top while others put LFA or MetFilm School above LFS.

What I understand is that LFS was established in 1956 hence I think it should be the best among these (especially LFA and MetFilm School as they both were established in 2000s). Also the courses look pretty good in LFS. University of Arts, London ranks 2 in the world for the subject Arts and Design according to QS Rankings but I'm not sure if Filmmaking comes under that subject/department. I have no clue about Goldsmiths as it is not a dedicated film school but offer filmmaking courses.

Also, which school provides best connections with the industry? As there is a provision now that international students can stay in the UK for two years after the completion of the course, I am wondering if I'll be able to get work in the film industry in the UK and is it a good option to go to the UK at all. I am also looking for programmes in Europe such as Prague Film School or EICAR, but again, no reviews really anywhere on the internet.

4thbass

Hey Anush!
I fit in the same profile that you are looking for. Let's connect on WhatsApp or call maybe?
Hit me up @ +91 9830437909

Cheers!

Morolake

Hey guys. My name is Morolake, and I'm from Nigeria. I'll also like an answer to the question Anush asked as I'm processing my admission to a film school in the Uk. I'll love to connect with the both of you too, if you don't mind. You can reach me on WhatsApp @+234 8088162367.

Thank you!

Neha

Supporter
Hi, My name is Anush Saxena and I am from India. I am interested in pursuing a MA/MFA in Filmmaking from UK. I am confused between these schools but I can't make up my mind as there are no official rankings on the internet. Some articles put LFS on top while others put LFA or MetFilm School above LFS.

What I understand is that LFS was established in 1956 hence I think it should be the best among these (especially LFA and MetFilm School as they both were established in 2000s). Also the courses look pretty good in LFS. University of Arts, London ranks 2 in the world for the subject Arts and Design according to QS Rankings but I'm not sure if Filmmaking comes under that subject/department. I have no clue about Goldsmiths as it is not a dedicated film school but offer filmmaking courses.

Also, which school provides best connections with the industry? As there is a provision now that international students can stay in the UK for two years after the completion of the course, I am wondering if I'll be able to get work in the film industry in the UK and is it a good option to go to the UK at all. I am also looking for programmes in Europe such as Prague Film School or EICAR, but again, no reviews really anywhere on the internet.
Hey Anush!
I am Neha from India and I am stuck in the same boat as you are, I applied to Prague Film School and got it. However, due to no substantial information online regarding the school, I am not sure whether I should take up the course there. As far as UK is considered I am mostly looking at Met Film School and LFA, mainly because they have 1-year programs.

Let me know if you come to any sort of conclusion on this/ we can also discuss this further :)

Anush

Hey Anush!
I am Neha from India and I am stuck in the same boat as you are, I applied to Prague Film School and got it. However, due to no substantial information online regarding the school, I am not sure whether I should take up the course there. As far as UK is considered I am mostly looking at Met Film School and LFA, mainly because they have 1-year programs.

Let me know if you come to any sort of conclusion on this/ we can also discuss this further :)
Hey Neha, sorry for replying so late. I am still not sure but I have a slightly better understanding of these universities from the time I posted this question. Would you like to chat further on WhatsApp? If yes, feel free to ping me on +91 9713288065.

Anush

Hey guys. My name is Morolake, and I'm from Nigeria. I'll also like an answer to the question Anush asked as I'm processing my admission to a film school in the Uk. I'll love to connect with the both of you too, if you don't mind. You can reach me on WhatsApp @+234 8088162367.

Thank you!
Hey Morolake, thanks for the reply and sorry for replying so late. Sure, I'll ping you on WhatsApp right away :)

Anush

Hey Neha, sorry for replying so late. I am still not sure but I have a slightly better understanding of these universities from the time I posted this question. Would you like to chat further on WhatsApp? If yes, feel free to ping me on +91 9713288065.
Also, what I understand till now is that LFS, LFA, Metfilm are proper film schools whereas UAL and Goldsmiths are top universities in the UK for art and design courses. Out of the five, I think LFS tops the list as I saw its name in some really good film school lists. On the other hand, there's no real information about LFA and Metfilm. Rather they seem to me an appropriate equivalent of Whistling Woods, Mumbai. I am inclined towards UAL for now, as the university ranks 2nd in the world for art and design courses according to QS Rankings. It's a huge university having around 19000 students so I believe the atmosphere there would be really great if one belongs to art field and wants to be among like-minded people. Goldsmiths looks good too for art and design courses. UAL has a 15 month course whereas Goldsmiths has a one year course.

About PFS, I'm really not sure as the language is a barrier, plus there's no post study work visa. The fees is a little less than the UK but I think 2 years of PSW visa is a pretty good opportunity to stay back in the UK and work.

PhoebeLuna

Hi,

Just came across this post and in a similar boat studying an MA in Screenwriting.
I’ve applied for LFS and Met and been offered to both. For me, I definitely see LFS is the better option. Just from the interviews I saw a substantial difference between the two. At Met my interview was done by an admin there whereas for LFS I ended up having a 1hr long conversation with the Head of Screenwriting and it received fantastic feedback, challenging questions and got a glimpse at how much more detail and support I’d receive as a writer.

My main concern is the cost of these courses. It’s also quite expensive to relocate to the UK. Has anyone had any luck with scholarship applications for non UK or EU residents?

Be great to know how people are finding their course taking into consideration how expensive the pound is.

Anush

Hi,

Just came across this post and in a similar boat studying an MA in Screenwriting.
I’ve applied for LFS and Met and been offered to both. For me, I definitely see LFS is the better option. Just from the interviews I saw a substantial difference between the two. At Met my interview was done by an admin there whereas for LFS I ended up having a 1hr long conversation with the Head of Screenwriting and it received fantastic feedback, challenging questions and got a glimpse at how much more detail and support I’d receive as a writer.

My main concern is the cost of these courses. It’s also quite expensive to relocate to the UK. Has anyone had any luck with scholarship applications for non UK or EU residents?

Be great to know how people are finding their course taking into consideration how expensive the pound is.
Hi Phoebe,

Congratulations on getting into both the schools. Yes, MA Screenwriting in LFS seems really good. What my research tells me is that it's really hard to get scholarships in these schools as they're not really very big universities with millions of pounds of funding provided by the government or other bodies. They are basically running on for-profit basis as students body is really small and they need to sustain themselves too. But, the good thing about the UK from 2021 is that whoever successfully completes a degree there be it undergraduate or postgraduate, that person is eligible to apply for a two year post study work visa and under that the individual is allowed to do any work/find work for 2 years. That money can be used to pay back the loan (if you take any) and get good experience in working in the UK. Also, part time work for 20 hours is allowed while studying but as LFS course is really intensive I'm not really sure if working part time with the degree is a possibility or not. But that's always an option.

Also, there are scholarships run by the UK government and other countries which provide full funding to students like Chevening and Commonwealth scholarships. It hugely depends on which country are you from.

Where are you from? Also would love to know your experience on the whole process of admission.

Last edited:
Add your film school application to our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Add Application…

Student Films Made at Film Programs

Colella612
Updated
3.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Views
Reaction score
Reviews
Questions
After the light bulb on her film projector burns out, an elderly woman must confront a nightmarish world as well as the trauma of her past as she seeks to find a replacement before her memories are lost forever.
Film Program
Loyola Marymount University
Course
Directing Short Film II: Visual Story
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Drama
Duration/Running Time
5:58
Film Completion
May 3, 2021
A248
Views
Reaction score
One man's mission to document and preserve the history and pop culture of the San Fernando Valley in Southern California. Tommy Gelinas was born and raised in the San Fernando Valley in Southern California. He grew up visiting restaurants, malls, and many other venues that slowly declined and...
Film Program
Course
PROD 600
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Documentary
Duration/Running Time
13:52
Film Completion
Dec 1, 2020
A248
Views
Reaction score
In the midst of a global pandemic, a very paranoid vampire orders contactless food delivery.
Film Program
Course
PROD 685
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Comedy
Duration/Running Time
1:24
Film Completion
Aug 1, 2020

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Add your own Application to our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications