thedarknight

I have been learning video editing and animation from past two years and want to learn Direction and Film-making. So help me in finding a good film school for a good hands on experience on camera and to learn Direction as well. I am from India so I have been suggested some film schools like Langara College, Fanshawe college, George Brown College, Shreidan College.

BigAbe00

Vancouver Film School (British Columbia) is the top rated film school in Canada. There's also Toronto Film School which I've heard is quite good as well.

thedarknight

hey thanks for reply, I've heard about VFS too but its a private school, and I wont get stay-back for it to continue my work there, and TFS is very expensive for me.

sa96

You should definitely check out Capilano University, they offer everything from a 1-year certificates to 2-year diplomas to 4-year degrees. You can even change your mind once you've started a program and extend/shorten accordingly. They are also located in Vancouver, one of the main centres of the movie industry in Canada so lots of students get work after graduating. Just want to let you know though that schools in Vancouver are usually preparing you for below-the-line work because those are the opportunities available there.

If you are looking to take a more creative route, I recommend Ryerson University, York University, Concordia University, and Sheridan College. All are top programs here and have alumni who have gone onto become successful directors, writers, producers etc. Concordia and Sheridan have produced Oscar winners, Netflix Showrunners, and internationally recognized award-winning documentarians. York and Ryerson are really well respected programs in Canada and have great placement/internship opportunities. All four programs are competitive and require portfolios for submission. If you are looking for a less competitive but still great film program, look into the University of Windsor.

To be honest, I haven't heard much about Fanshawe College or George Brown College in terms of the film industry. I believe Langara College would give you similar prospects to Capilano University.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
I have been learning video editing and animation from past two years and want to learn Direction and Film-making. So help me in finding a good film school for a good hands on experience on camera and to learn Direction as well. I am from India so I have been suggested some film schools like Langara College, Fanshawe college, George Brown College, Shreidan College.
Is this for undergrad or graduate?

Latest Accepted Applications

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    Go if you have a sizable scholarship
    Ultimately glad I went, but my overall experience at Emerson felt very lackluster. The courses were good, but nothing really worth sinking almost...
    • Anonymous
  • USC School of Cinematic Arts (BA/BFA)
    5.00 star(s)
    A Journey Most Illuminating
    I started my USC adventure as a Theatre major. I quickly discovered that I needed to change paths, and film had always been of interest. I thought...
    • JHD
  • London Film School (LFS) - Directing Summer School with Udayan Prasad
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Filmmaking Intensive, Though Pricey
    I attended this summer program in 2019. I wanted to try out directing in an environment where I would get feedback on my work and where I could...
    • llueve
  • Northwestern University - School of Communication
    4.00 star(s)
    Good for film theory, not so much for production
    *Please take this with a grain of salt, as I went to NU over a decade ago. While I was there: Classes in film theory and screenwriting were great...
    • Anonymous
  • Film And Television Institute of India
    4.00 star(s)
    Graduate Certificate, TV Direction
    I was enrolled in the 1-year Direction certificate course in the TV wing in the session 2018-19. Following are the pros and cons that I...
    • ValArya

Latest Accepted Applications