Loyola Marymount Fall 2010

swap

hello jedimastere.....thanks a ton for the info....works out to approx 1 out of 3.....not that tough compared to some other schools.....but still tough enough.......

swap

hi ananth.....within india will have a shot at pune....think will apply to the cinematography specialization...not sure about whistling woods though....getting mixed comments from people.....u knw anything about whistling woods? ...what places are you applying to in india?.....hey have u heard of FAMU in prague?.....found them impressive.....

yes of course. FAMU but their deadline passed on DEC 19. I missed it too.

Whistling woods is like most engineering colleges in india. PAID courses. i have heard mixed too.

PUNE: of course everyone gives a shot. But the odds are crazy.

Im looking at a few in UK too. NFTS and LFS. Reputed... cost and living is something else. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Whistling woods is Subash Ghai's. Another one is Asian. i know a few people who graduated from Asian and i dont think its very impressive. FTI TN is another 'Last option' that u can have. Apart from these nothing else in India i guess.

And also FAMU has a a language requirement, but i may be wrong. It wudnt hurt to check out some other forums on this website.

swap

FAMU has an international programme thats taught in English.....i think the deadline for that is much later......will take a look at their website again.....you are right about whistling woods....just like all the other commercial places ( but i must admit, their shemroo dvd dubsidary brought out a good collection of world cinema)....but anyways its only a platform......I know man isnt it horrible the pune scenario.....10 or 12 seats, reserve 60%....give a few to the industry guys....left with only a few seats....:(.... another thing ....just check up other forums for LFS....hearing a lot of negative stuff.....check them out before you decide.....no such problems with NFTS....perfectly okay......

Hmmm. I'll sure check that out.
Pune is scary. Almost to the point of insanity.

i'm only applying. No harm in that. Other discussions if i get thru... :)

blimes

Thanks Brittak!

(delayed thanks...i've been afraid of checking this forum too regularly because of all the interview rumors-induced panics haha)

swap

hi blimes.....u r from LA....wats ur take on LMU film school.....sure i have seen the forums and the other websites....but i dont get a clear picture....ppl keep talking about beautiful campus and other such things.....but wat about the core issues... the academics, profs, equipments, internships etc......wat do u knw or hear?.....

swap

hi guys......if any of the others know something about LMU from firsthand experience or hearsay do post it

Originally posted by swap:
hi blimes.....u r from LA....wats ur take on LMU film school.....sure i have seen the forums and the other websites....but i dont get a clear picture....ppl keep talking about beautiful campus and other such things.....but wat about the core issues... the academics, profs, equipments, internships etc......wat do u knw or hear?.....
I visited LMU exactly a year ago. I loved it, small school/program, small classes.

Professors are very helpful and practical, I even spoke to some one on one.

There are large amounts of intership possibilities. I saw the office for internships and they have just about anything your looking for.

Best of all, you get to own your films when you graduate, they do not become the property of the school.

The equipment they offer is top notch too. And they supply you with everything except film stock for your first film, which I hear is expensive.

It is a 3-year program. You will graduate with I believe/recall 3 films which you will own:

1: A 5 Minute short - No sound, shot on actual Film.

2: A 10 to 15 Minute film - shot on digital or Film - with sound.

3: A 30 minute film - Shot on Digital or Film - with sound (Thesis Film).

You have to develop relationships with people in the school/program, be helpful, supportive and collaborative. From what I remember, your effort gets noticed and really serves to separate the "men from the boys" if you catch my meaning.

Hope this helps. - I believe the deadline was today for apps?!?

Best wishes all!!!

swap

Jedimastere.......thanks so much for sharing your experiences and for patiently typing the details.....so invaluable for a guy sitting so far away....helps in clearing the many doubts that i had......now my mind is less clouded......best of luck to you too for you application......hope things go well on my side too :)

wyy123

Just got accepted! Snail mail. I'm still waiting on other schools though, it says I have to pay the deposit by the 25th. Argh. Can I pay and then say no?

Silverlenz

Congrats Wyy123. How much is the deposit? I would probally ask for an extension. Any school trully interested in you, should give you an extension. What other schools are you waiting for?

SilverLenz

wyy123

Yeah, I realized that a little while ago and I'm a little weirded out. I sent in all my apps back in November but still it means they may have had this in the mail before yesterday. I'm in Mississippi so it would have taken a few days from California. The deposit is 250 by the way.

Just looked, the letter they wrote me was written on the 10th of February.

Latest Classifieds

Featured Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• UCLA TFT - Screenwriting (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    The Right Move For Me
    I have loved this program so far! For me, it was the right move. Coming from out-of-state, I learned a lot about LA and housing, but it could have...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Chicago - Department of Cinema and Media Studies
    5.00 star(s)
    In my opinion, the University of Chicago's Cinema & Media Studies program is one of the most outstanding and underrated programs out there. I...
    • jn0pe
  • Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    I went to Emerson for my undergrad for VMA (Visual media arts, just generally the film program) and...it was a lot of fun, I certainly learned...
    • julia1
  • Temple University - School of Theater, Film and Media Arts
    4.00 star(s)
    I graduated in 2013 and know several recent graduates ( 2017-2019 classes) as well. My personal and their related experiences are the basis for...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Rochester - Film and Media Studies Program
    5.00 star(s)
    I graduated from UofR with a double major in Film and Media Studies and Economics. My experiences at Rochester really shaped my filmmaking career...
    • dkimg21