Loyola Marymount Fall 2010

hey guys,
I just got accepted to LMU for an MFA in screenwriting and I'm trying to decide whether or not to go there...why did you guys decide to apply, and (for those who have already heard back about acceptances) why are you going there? what does LMU offer? (I've been trying to find more info out on other sites but I'm having trouble finding stuff). Also, what made you guys decide on an MFA in screenwriting in the first place (I was also accepted into creative writing MFA programs and am trying to decide between the two genres).
Any help would be so great...

Hi,

I just found out I got onto the Writing & Producing for Television program! Loyola Marymount was my 3rd choice after UCLA and USC at first because I thought they only had the screenwriting program and film prod. program. When I saw they offered the specific program for Writing and Producing for television it became my #1 choice. The fact that they state that the emphasis of their program is on understanding and mastering visual storytelling grounded in humanistic ideas also sold me. Some of my favorite directors include Hal Ashby and Frank Capra.

If anyone else has been accepted for Fall 2010 and has Facebook, send me a message and we can connect!

Hi all,

I was also accepted to LMU for the Screenwriting MFA, and I will see you there in August! If anyone living in LA, in the area, has any ideas for living or housing, I would REALLY REALLY APPRECIATE HEARING THEM! I live in Wilmington, Delaware, have only visited California once, and I've never been to LA. Hit me up at robdunn1234@yahoo.com, if you have any ideas, or just to say howdy.

Hi all I got an admit at LMU for screenwriting. It was my third option after USC, Chapman. Also got an admit in Miami University. Can anyone tell me which one would be better? Miami is most probably more expensive (considering tuition fees) i am yet to receive my acceptance letter so have no idea if i have any scholarship/financial aid at LMU.
Please let me know which of the two is advisable.

third option after USC, Chapman. Also got an admit in Miami University. Can anyone tell me which one would be better? Miami is most probably more expensive (considering tuition fees) i am ye

Were you guys accepted via e-mail or snail mail?

Originally posted by Obi Rob Kenobi:
Hi all,

I was also accepted to LMU for the Screenwriting MFA, and I will see you there in August! If anyone living in LA, in the area, has any ideas for living or housing, I would REALLY REALLY APPRECIATE HEARING THEM! I live in Wilmington, Delaware, have only visited California once, and I've never been to LA. Hit me up at robdunn1234@yahoo.com, if you have any ideas, or just to say howdy.

Try craiglist, search westchester lmu under apt/housing for rent.

See you there!!!

Hey did you know that the MFA screenwriitng is a three year course. Do you think the additional year is justified? Would i be better off to choose another university with 2 yr Degree? Any thoughts? I have other accepts from Pepperdine and University of Miami.

I'm not sure about the screenwriting program but for Writing & Producing for Television program the first semester of third year is spent working/interning at studio or production company and second semester producing pilots. The other schools I visited had students complete a thesis project where students would leave the school with a large binder.

I battled with this decison as well. I eventually decided not to apply to any schools that offered three year screenwriting programs. It just seemed to long and costly to me.

SilverLenz

Hey everyone! I just got word earlier that I was accepted for the Writing and Producing for TV program. Is there anyone else thats in that program? There is only going to be 7 or 8 of us so I figure we might as well get to know each other now.

Hi!

I have been accepted into the Film Production MFA program at LMU as well.

So as I have read, is there only about 8 people going as a whole or are there 8 for screenwriting and an unknown # for production.

I think it is two different tracks completely.

Also, I have been enquiring about apts/places to live.

Avoid:

The Madrid Apartments in Westchester - I have been told to stay West of highway 405 altogether

Fountain Park Apts in Playa Vista

Check out online apt ratings to be sure.

Best chance is to stay around the school in the local Westchester area (Marina Del Ray, El Segundo are good too from what I have found).

I hope to be out there by Mid-July to get settled!

Hey Jedimastere,

I think your program has 12? Writing & Producing for Tv is the program that has just 8. Screenwriting has 12. If you want to live near campus try Playa del rey, Marina Del Rey or Santa Monica. I live in west hollywood and love it. It takes me 30-35 min to get to campus but I just can't see myself leaving the area. Centrally located for jobs, nightlife is great, right next to a hiking canyon, great apt with reasonable rent.. I was just on campus today to meet faculty and take a tour. Met some students and everyone was extremely friendly, asking lots of questions. Watched a graduate thesis film and it was impressive, professional and hysterical. Facilities are great and the campus is just gorgeous. Message me your email and I can send you more advice via facebook regarding apartments/LA! Congrats and see you in the Fall.

hi folks need your help.......its to do with lmu prowl......when i access my financial aid section it gives a split up for my estimated cost of attendance...it says

The following information is based on your status as a GR School of Film & TV PT student receiving financial aid for the Fall - Spring.

then it gives the split up under various heads....now the amounts that are mentioned under each of the heads, say tuition, are they only for the fall semester or does it include spring semester too?? am a bit confused.....would appreciate if any one of you ppl out there can help........am also sending an email to the aid office

Hey swap - can't help you yet cuz my award will not be processed for another 2 weeks. But the financial aid office responds promptly via email.

What program are you in?

Hey,

Can I ask you guys how long ago you submitted the fin aid application? I'm wondering if it's supposed to take this long to get it processed, but i don't want to be the overparanoid one and bug them...

thanks!

blimes - It takes 3-4 weeks after the FAFSA is processed for your award stuff to show up. But email financial aid if you have any questions. They usually respond pretty fast.

What program are you in?

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back