Loyola Marymount

Maijodojo

Hi everyone. I am a Junior in undergrad right now, and hope to go to Film School in a few years. I am currently trying to compile a list of all the schools I want to apply to (currently the list is UT-Austin, USC, UCLA, Chapman) and am interested in Loyola Marymount. I have seen it on top 10 lists before, but I rarely see it mentioned on this site.

So really, I would like any information you can give me about it. Is it a good program? Would there be any justification for going there instead of say USC or UT-Austin, or is it basically just a "backup" school?

I would especially like to here from people who are current students, went there in the past, have visited there, etc. Also, if you were accepted there and did not go, what made you not go?

Really any information would be wonderful. Thanks!

for whatever reason, LMU doesn't turn up a lot on these boards. not sure why. i asked the same questions you did, and never really got any responses.

Great (new) school, coming up and rising above many of the others (especially the ones outside of CA). It's a beautiful campus, great resources (technically, their equipment is fabulous) and the professors are all also working in their respective fields (unlike many other film schools who's teachers are 'retired' from any industry work).

I visited and loved it. It's one of my top three picks now.

Thanks for the response Neville :)

It's great to hear a positive opinion of it. The more I research LMU the more I like it. The campus looks absolutely gorgeous.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't personally been there, but I've heard good things. My brother was admitted there and to Chapman and went to the latter because he liked it more personally. But LMU definitely has a growing program.

I was accepted to LMU's Producing Program in March and visited it later that month. Like everyone has said, the campus was AMAZING. I liked the small school feel and everyone there was extremely friendly. Still being in LA is nice (compared to Chapman) and I actually preferred LMU's location to UCLA's because it was much less overwhelming. I still haven't decided whether or not I'll be attending since I'm on the east coast and might stay on this side and go to Columbia, but I would be thrilled to go to LMU!

How is the area around LMU? Did it seem to be a nice part of town, or more on the sketchy side? (sorry, I've never been to L.A. so my knowledge of the neighborhoods is pretty bad).

Also did you get to take a tour of the facilities there? How are they?

Hey, guys, I met an LMU grad today. She had nothing but great things to say about her experience there...though she, as an editor, felt that they misdirected the students by telling them they didn't need to learn Avid...LMU is exclusively FCP, I guess?

Anyway, she said she'd been turned down on jobs because of it.

My advice to you guys, whether you want to be editors or not....LEARN AVID ON YOUR OWN. IT IS THE INDUSTRY STANDARD.

It won't hurt you to know FCP, but it will hurt you not to know Avid.

Hmm...well that seems kind of silly of them to not teach the industry standard. Hopefully they will change that because editing is still a possible path for me (though directing and cinematography are ahead of it for now)

Nope, Skipper. The school said they would not mail out decision letters for MFA in Screenwriting applicants until April 17th or after. :) If that helps any. Let me know if you hear from them. I'll let you know too.

I e-mailed someone at LMU this morning and he got back to me with good news and bad news. Good news: decisions have been made! Bad news: the results of the decisions are with someone who's on vacation until Monday.

He said he'd let me know on Monday...so I don't know if that means a personal e-mail or that letters will be mailed on Monday or what, but it looks like next week is definitely the week!

skipper, that's good news if you think you're getting into LMU. but i think a rejection will be coming my way, for sure. ;) we'll see though. maybe not.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back