MA Decision: SCAD/ NYFA/ Goldsmiths/ UAL

pennsylvania43

Hi, I hope I'm not too late to join this topic. I am also an international student, but I'm in a MA program in the US and I can tell you that British and American universities have very different ideas of the MA degree.

In the US, MA in Film means film criticism, basically. For my program, we study different film theories and write tons of papers. No producing/directing/screenwriting classes whatsoever. Most people in MA programs want to go for a PhD degree.

In the UK, a MA degree in Film (at UAL or Goldsmiths) is an equivalent degree to the MFA in the US, which means you actually do make films.

So, I would suggest you not going to SCAD if it's for the MA program and you want to make film. It is true that SCAD has a good reputation and Atlanta is rising as a new Hollywood, but a MA degree in the US will not help you to get a job in a crew. Also, the MA program at SCAD is not as reputable as other MA programs elsewhere.

Reactions: Yuk

HaylieC

Hi, I hope I'm not too late to join this topic. I am also an international student, but I'm in a MA program in the US and I can tell you that British and American universities have very different ideas of the MA degree.

In the US, MA in Film means film criticism, basically. For my program, we study different film theories and write tons of papers. No producing/directing/screenwriting classes whatsoever. Most people in MA programs want to go for a PhD degree.

In the UK, a MA degree in Film (at UAL or Goldsmiths) is an equivalent degree to the MFA in the US, which means you actually do make films.

So, I would suggest you not going to SCAD if it's for the MA program and you want to make film. It is true that SCAD has a good reputation and Atlanta is rising as a new Hollywood, but a MA degree in the US will not help you to get a job in a crew. Also, the MA program at SCAD is not as reputable as other MA programs elsewhere.

Hi, there! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts.
Even now is very helpful since I haven't made my final decision.

I do realize MA in the States normally means film studies, which means analysis, theories, history, etc.
However, the MA at SCAD and NYFA are specifically for filmmaking and producing.
I think both programs are trying to squeeze 2-year MFA into a 1-year MA degree unlike normal MA degrees in the US.
I believe they both have less hands-on practice, but are still focused on filmmaking/ producing rather than film studies.

Yet, I think you are right that MA in the UK would be better.
There was some trouble with SCAD, so I have already ruled that out anyway.
The schools that I'm really interested in now are Goldsmiths and UAL.

I'm a little hesitant about UAL since it is not really a school for film but fashion and design.
You also don't see it a lot in UK "film" school rankings although the school itself has a good reputation.
And I'm actually throwing London Film School in to the mix right now but the program is International Film Business.
It's also aimed to nurture film producers and executives, but do not have any hands-on practice in the curriculum (collaborating with filmmaking/ screenwriting students outside the class is encouraged though).
I guess I'm still trying to figured out how much of hands-on skills and knowledge I would need in course in order to become a successful producer.

Let me know if you have any other thoughts! Would love to know :)
Thanks again

Cdemon

Hey! Just a quick FYI- if you want to do any teaching in colleges/universities in the US, I don’t know for elsewhere, check to make sure they are “terminal” degrees. Usually for teaching you have to have an MFA, but for some thing MA might work just not if an MFA is also offered. You’re probably not thinking about teaching but just a “look ahead” tip in case it’s of interest at all.

HaylieC

Hey! Just a quick FYI- if you want to do any teaching in colleges/universities in the US, I don’t know for elsewhere, check to make sure they are “terminal” degrees. Usually for teaching you have to have an MFA, but for some thing MA might work just not if an MFA is also offered. You’re probably not thinking about teaching but just a “look ahead” tip in case it’s of interest at all.

Thanks for your info!
I'm not interested in teaching at the moment but still good to know

HaylieC

Hi, all!
It's been a long and difficult two months for me to figure out where I would go for my master's
But I've finally decided on attending the Filmmaking (Producing) program at Goldsmiths
Just want to thank everyone who commented on this thread and trying to help out
Would love to know if any of you is going to London like me:)

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member
Goldsmiths has been added to the Application Tracker. Please add your applications to the tracker! If a program is not there please let me know. :)

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Cal State Northridge (CSUN) - MFA in Screenwriting Program
    3.00 star(s)
    I was accepted to the CSUN MFA program in 2018 and took part in in for a full year; however, I recently decided not to go back and complete the...
    • Anonymous
  • Savannah College of Art and Design (MFA)
    1.00 star(s)
    The school is a complete honeypot, department head Donald.W Moffett has limited film production experience and has not idea how to properly guide...
    • Anonymous
  • Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    Emerson opened a lot of doors for me, so I can't dismiss that fact. However, I don't think it was necessary for me to go to Emerson as opposed to...
    • Anonymous
  • NYU - Tisch Kanbar Institute of Film and Television (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    Currently in my third year of my MFA at NYU Tisch Grad Film (writing/directing). I cannot praise this program enough! It exceeded any expectation...
    • Anonymous
  • National Film and Television School (NFTS)
    5.00 star(s)
    I'm currently in my first year of a 2 year MA at the NFTS. I saw these relatively negative reviews about the NFTS before I applied, but I can now...
    • VDW