Martin Scorsese is my dad??!

anthony12077

Just kidding...I wanted a subject header that would grab people's attention because I really need some advice. I recently got rejected from USC and NYU. I'm on FSU's waitlist. It's not looking too good there either. I'm already 25. I'm ready to break into the industry by any means necessary. I need to get going though. Here's my dilemma:

I have an interview with SCAD coming up, and I think it's looking pretty good there. They have a campus in Atlanta and many connections there as well. I'd probably study at Savannah and migrate over to ATL after graduation. That's all great, but how does SCAD stack up??

Should I waste another year reapplying, and be close to 30 when I graduate, or should I go to SCAD (which is a 1 year program) and start my independent film production/PA'ing at 27 instead. If I reapplied I'd try to include more schools (probably like 10 total, including Emerson which is becoming a top choice consideration for me).

Thanks for your replies in advance!

Just kidding...I wanted a subject header that would grab people's attention because I really need some advice. I recently got rejected from USC and NYU. I'm on FSU's waitlist. It's not looking too good there either. I'm already 25. I'm ready to break into the industry by any means necessary. I need to get going though. Here's my dilemma:

I have an interview with SCAD coming up, and I think it's looking pretty good there. They have a campus in Atlanta and many connections there as well. I'd probably study at Savannah and migrate over to ATL after graduation. That's all great, but how does SCAD stack up??

Should I waste another year reapplying, and be close to 30 when I graduate, or should I go to SCAD (which is a 1 year program) and start my independent film production/PA'ing at 27 instead. If I reapplied I'd try to include more schools (probably like 10 total, including Emerson which is becoming a top choice consideration for me).

you don't need to start to PA or start shooting your short after you graduate film school or even attend film school. People in the film industry have different background. I am not familiar with SCAD, so I can't give you advice, but either way you should get on as many set as possible, and start doing what you love!

Your age doesn't matter. I'm 36 and still applying to film schools. The only thing that matters is what kind of content you can create. Story (if you're a writer) and results(if you're anything else) will trump anything regarding your age. If you're hell bent on your age being an issue, I'd say skip school and just find work as a PA in Los Angeles. School is great if you have your reasons for going, which I do. But, film school will also take you out of the industry for 2-3 years when you could be getting paid as a PA to learn some of the same things and not going into massive debt.

Here's what I'm thinking. SCAD's program is only 1 year. I can take half of the program in Savannah, and create a network there. The other half I can take at their Atlanta campus. I'd like to end up in Atlanta and can start networking there while finishing my MA as well.

While I see the benefits of skipping film school to go straight to production, I'm very much interested in fine tuning my artistic voice in a vacuum. Once I've done this, when given the opportunity, I should be 100% ready to seize any chance I get to direct, without being lost.

A little background on myself: I have a degree in Digital Media Production already. I have a student award-winning documentary as well. I also minored in film studies during my BA. But I still want to learn more about narrative production.

The one year program just seems too perfect for me. It kind of gives me the best of both worlds. I get to go to school, but I only have to wait 1 year longer to start production work. My biggest weakness by far is my network. I'm hoping to change that by hitting two cities/campuses. My final question is this:

Is SCAD's film program good enough to justify waiting another year to break into my industry? Will I have networking opportunities that outweigh the one-year delay?

Thanks again guys!

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back