1. The FilmSchool.org community has been helping people apply to film school since 2002. Log in or Create an Account and get your film school questions answered. (It's free!)

Military Veteran looking to apply.

Discussion in 'Undergraduate Film School Discussions' started by Gary Cunningham, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Gary Cunningham

Gary Cunningham New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello,

I'm Gary, currently enlisted in the Marine Corp with my active duty coming to end at the very beginning of 2018.

I'm attending a community college to just provide myself with some education to give me a foundation to work from. With about 95% of an AA degree completed, with a 3.4 GPA.

My main interest is finding out which film school to attend, having the GI bill at my disposal makes the choice pretty open, so I'm trying to narrow down where I want to actually go.

I'm fully aware of the notion that film school does not guarantee a person immediate high-level career positions. (e.g directing a big budget movie, etc) However that isn't my main focus at the moment, that focus is sighted at becoming proficient with editing software, cinematography, screen writing, and basically most of the technical aspects involved with film making. I want to make this a career whether I become famous or not because I love film, I love the art of film making and it's something I feel I have actual skill in doing.

I've looked into schools like USC, UCLA, AFI, VFS, SAIT, NYU and UNCW. But not sure where would the best options to use my GI bill would be.

2. Chris W

Chris W FilmSchool.org Owner Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +287
    I'm pretty sure that AFI is graduate school only.

For undergrad I've also heard great things about Chapman as well so you should add that to your list for sure.

As far as the best choice for the GI bill I'm not sure... does the GI bill pay for the full tuition or just a percentage?

3. Gary Cunningham

Gary Cunningham New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you! I'll look into Chapman as well, as for the GI bill for private schools it provides up to roughly 21,000 in tuition. With whatever remains coming out of your own finances.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Chris W

Chris W FilmSchool.org Owner Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Sounds good. Please let us know what you find out about the schools during your research. Also be sure to use our new Film School listing and review system... by using the "Refine by" link in the top right on the page below you can search for schools based on many factors.

Undergraduate Film Schools | FilmSchool.org - The Best Film School Reviews & Forums

5. rhodeskl

rhodeskl New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gary - just a tip to look into the Yellow Ribbon Program. You may be able to have the remaining cost of private school covered up to 100%, after the initial $21K. Some schools have a cap on how many students can take advantage of the program, and it may not be offered to you every year you're in school. So you'll just have to do your research, but its a great option for vets! I'm a surviving spouse taking advantage of the G.I Bill (Fry scholarship). Another thing to keep in mind, is that the VA doesn't fund out-of-state tuition at all (at least that's what they told me on a recent call, only 100% in-state). So you might run into problems when applying to public universities in a state you're not a resident of. For example, if you're not a resident of California, I don't think UCLA would be an option for you since they're public (unless you pay out of your own pocket), but definitely USC! Hope this helps.