• THANKSGIVING WEEK LIFETIME SUPPORTING MEMBERSHIP SALE: If you are finding FilmSchool.org helpful, consider becoming or upgrading to a Lifetime Supporting Membership for ONLY $16! (20% off) by entering the coupon code THANKS. Coupon expires Sunday 11/29 at midnight PST.

Need help deciding between USC Peter Stark and USC SCA MFA

I tried searching for threads and here and coudn't find any other than one that went super in depth.

I am interested in Showrunning or Directing. I love producing as well but not as much as the other two. I do editing and other work on the side but I'm not all that interested in learning the technicalities of AVID or lighting. But I don't want an entirely business minded program either. I've spoken with several students who went there as well, one in Stark and one in Screenwriting.

For those of you who are in the programs. Why did you pick one program over the other?

Avec Love

So the degree in the Peter Stark program is an MFA and Peter Stark is a department of the School of Cinematic Arts (SCA) - so I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "USC SCA MFA". However, based on contact I'm going to guess you're referring to the MFA in Film & Television production.

Currently I'm in the MFA in Film & Television and while I can't speak TOO much to the Peter Stark program, I know a few people in it and have a cursory understanding of their curriculum.

From what I can tell, the expectation of a lot of people in the Peter Stark program is that they go on to become Development Executives, Talent Agents, CEO's of distribution company's and yes sometimes they go on to be show runners and writers and creative producers.

The students in the Film & Television program get a lot of multi-disciplinary training especially in the first year but after the first year they're free to more or less specialize in one or two areas. You're inevitably going to encounter technical AVID classes, lighting and camera operation classes, etc. In addition to all of this there are several intensive directing courses and a few pitch class/development class type deals.

With that said, there's plenty of overlap between Peter Stark and the Production students. Peter Stark students have the opportunity to make a few films of their own, Production students can take a bunch of classes in producing (Production students even have their own Producing "track").

Furthermore, a lot of the value in either of these programs is building a network of talented and driven filmmakers. This can be accomplished in either program well enough.

Mdub_2013

I tried searching for threads and here and coudn't find any other than one that went super in depth.

I am interested in Showrunning or Directing. I love producing as well but not as much as the other two. I do editing and other work on the side but I'm not all that interested in learning the technicalities of AVID or lighting. But I don't want an entirely business minded program either. I've spoken with several students who went there as well, one in Stark and one in Screenwriting.

For those of you who are in the programs. Why did you pick one program over the other?
Hey! I’m in the stark program currently. Are you applying or selecting between the two for current admissions? Either way, a lot of starkies are professional writers and go in to the program with the hopes of being a show runner. There’s quite a few notable writer alumni - John August - who come out of Stark. Feel free to DM me for any specific questions.

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Northwestern University - School of Communication
    4.00 star(s)
    Good for film theory, not so much for production
    *Please take this with a grain of salt, as I went to NU over a decade ago. While I was there: Classes in film theory and screenwriting were great...
    • Anonymous
  • Film And Television Institute of India
    4.00 star(s)
    Graduate Certificate, TV Direction
    I was enrolled in the 1-year Direction certificate course in the TV wing in the session 2018-19. Following are the pros and cons that I...
    • ValArya
  • University of Texas at Austin - Department of Radio-Television-Film
    4.00 star(s)
    Great film school outside of LA/NYC
    I would say overall UT's film school is a great choice! It is rated #11 on THR's Top Film School List in the U.S. Sure it's nowhere near LA or NY...
    • Anonymous
  • Columbia College Chicago - Cinema Directing (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    a great decision
    Columbia College Chicago is not only one of America's best film schools it is also one of the most affordable. The program is advertised as 2...
    • Jcromwell
  • Fitchburg State University
    4.00 star(s)
    Okay School, especially for the price
    Came in as both a transfer and commuter, so my experience was really lessened by that fact. Your time and success here is really up to you...
    • Anonymous