Need information about SFSU

shuai

hi
everyone!

I got admitted to sfsul's MFA Cinema program recently but I still hesitate to make the decision.
If I choose this program, am I able to broaden my social network on campus?
Is there plenty of facilities for me to make a short film?
In the end, compared to FSU or ACCD, can SFSU be a good graduate film school choice?

hi
everyone!

I got admitted to sfsul's MFA Cinema program recently but I still hesitate to make the decision.
If I choose this program, am I able to broaden my social network on campus?
Is there plenty of facilities for me to make a short film?
In the end, compared to FSU or ACCD, can SFSU be a good graduate film school choice?

Hi Did you choose SFSU over your other options. If yes could you tell me how the experiece there has been so far. If no pls share your reason to choose not to. I have been accepted to SFSU myself and its proving to be a little hard to get info on the sCHool.

Hi Did you choose SFSU over your other options. If yes could you tell me how the experiece there has been so far. If no pls share your reason to choose not to. I have been accepted to SFSU myself and its proving to be a little hard to get info on the sCHool.

Hey, I applied to SFSU as well. Since your message is from last year, did you decide on going to the school? When did you receive a notification? Also, can you write about the program and if you’d recommend it?

Thanks

Hi roscthve,
I was contacted about scheduling an interview for SFSU for Fall 2019, I had no idea there was a phone interview because none of the sources and application list mention it, do you think this is a new thing this year? Hard to find much information about SFSU on here haha

Hi roscthve,
I was contacted about scheduling an interview for SFSU for Fall 2019, I had no idea there was a phone interview because none of the sources and application list mention it, do you think this is a new thing this year? Hard to find much information about SFSU on here haha

Hey! I got an interview request too. I didn’t realize they’d interview either, but I don’t mind. I can’t find any info either!!!!

Hey! I got an interview request too. I didn’t realize they’d interview either, but I don’t mind. I can’t find any info either!!!!
Hey! yeah I'm really confused because of the wording of the email, they say "before we issue you an acceptance letter, i would like to conduct a phone interview"which really sounds like "you're in, but if we don't like what you say on the phone we will take back the offer" ?? or is it just me.. also all of the names on the sign up sheet for the interview (including mine) are diverse if you get my drift (i.e. no John Stevens, etc.) so I'm just feeling some way about this lmao

Hey! yeah I'm really confused because of the wording of the email, they say "before we issue you an acceptance letter, i would like to conduct a phone interview"which really sounds like "you're in, but if we don't like what you say on the phone we will take back the offer" ?? or is it just me.. also all of the names on the sign up sheet for the interview (including mine) are diverse if you get my drift (i.e. no John Stevens, etc.) so I'm just feeling some way about this lmao

Lmaooo “John Stevens.” I don’t think I even focused on the names haha. They’re pitting us against each other (jk...kind of?) I had the same wording in the email and re-read it a few times. It really sounded like “you’re in for sure, but wait not yet.” The interview should’ve come before, right? Then again, whatever I’ll jump through another hoop if that makes it easier. I can finesse my way through a phone interview. I’ve done Skype interviews that were a little awkward, I don’t know if a phone interview will be more or less so.

Lmaooo “John Stevens.” I don’t think I even focused on the names haha. They’re pitting us against each other (jk...kind of?) I had the same wording in the email and re-read it a few times. It really sounded like “you’re in for sure, but wait not yet.” The interview should’ve come before, right? Then again, whatever I’ll jump through another hoop if that makes it easier. I can finesse my way through a phone interview. I’ve done Skype interviews that were a little awkward, I don’t know if a phone interview will be more or less so.
they liked our application enough so the only thing is to not completely blow it, good luck to us both! ☘

they liked our application enough so the only thing is to not completely blow it, good luck to us both! ☘
Hi, I got the interview too.But did they tell you their skype accuount? Thank you !

Do you know something about SFSU? Is this program good?

It depends what you’re looking for. I did research on film programs that weren’t just focused on technical skill or what specific role you want to take (Director, producer, etc.). Nothing wrong with that, I just wanted something different. I like the fact that this program emphasizes theory courses and has an experimental concentration, which I’m interested in. I like the diverse faculty and student body (women, international, etc.). San Francisco has an amazing art scene, so I can engage with people outside of the school and network easily. My mentor went there and raved about it. She ended up becoming the director of the film program at my undergrad school and I like that career trajectory ?

Plus, being a liberal arts state school makes it’s cheaper and I can collaborate with other non-art departments, which is important to me because I’m very research-based.

The negatives: San Francisco is very expensive to live in. I’m sure living on the outskirts and commuting would make it cheaper, but it’s still up there in terms of cost of living.

I also can’t seem to find students to ask about this program. So I’m just going off of their program details and my mentor.

Do your research. Look at their course structure. Browse through their faculty list (it’s diverse in terms of concentration, research interests, background). Ask questions during your interview to figure out if you can grow at the school.

It depends what you’re looking for. I did research on film programs that weren’t just focused on technical skill or what specific role you want to take (Director, producer, etc.). Nothing wrong with that, I just wanted something different. I like the fact that this program emphasizes theory courses and has an experimental concentration, which I’m interested in. I like the diverse faculty and student body (women, international, etc.). San Francisco has an amazing art scene, so I can engage with people outside of the school and network easily. My mentor went there and raved about it. She ended up becoming the director of the film program at my undergrad school and I like that career trajectory ?

Plus, being a liberal arts state school makes it’s cheaper and I can collaborate with other non-art departments, which is important to me because I’m very research-based.

The negatives: San Francisco is very expensive to live in. I’m sure living on the outskirts and commuting would make it cheaper, but it’s still up there in terms of cost of living.

I also can’t seem to find students to ask about this program. So I’m just going off of their program details and my mentor.

Do your research. Look at their course structure. Browse through their faculty list (it’s diverse in terms of concentration, research interests, background). Ask questions during your interview to figure out if you can grow at the school.
wow! Thanks for your reply!! It helps me a lot

I did my “interview” yesterday. It’s not really an interview, more like an info session of the program. They didn’t ask any questions, just provided info and let me ask questions if I had any. So no stress :)
Thank you! So did they give you offer? Have you decided to go there?

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back