New to forum. Didn't go to film School for undergrad, wondering if I could still go but in a graduate program

Greenaway

Supporting Member
Hello,

I've been debating over the past month wether or not to go to Graduate School for film. It wasn't til my last year of undergrad that I realized that Film is what I want to pursue as a career, but I can't repeat my undergrad again. I was wondering if going to grad school could give me my start, but I'm not sure if they require a ton of experience and huge portfolio to get in. I would basically being going into grad program knowing very little, so I'm wondering if graduate school would be right for me.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
BU
I would basically being going into grad program knowing very little, so I'm wondering if graduate school would be right for me.
People go to grad school for film with a ton of different experiences. Having no film experience is one of them. You aren't alone. As long as you have the passion for storytelling you're good.

Grad school certainly isn't required to work in film but it can certainly a lot of fun and you'll probably meet some great peers and professors who will help you in your film "journey".

What aspect of filmmaking are you interested in? If it's writing start writing... If it's directing grab a camera and start telling stories. I think one of the options for the USC portfolio is to tell a story in 6 photographs. That would be a fun project to get your creative juices going. See the interview with USC admissions for more info on that:

How to get Into USC Film School: An Interview With an SCA Admissions Committee Member

How to get Into USC Film School: An Interview With an SCA Admissions Committee Member

Considered by many to be the best film school in the world, it’s no wonder why the USC School of Cinematic Arts (SCA) is so sought after by prospective undergraduate and graduate students alike. However, the film school’s prestige can often make the application process particularly stressful and...

Welcome and good luck!

Greenaway

Supporting Member
People go to grad school for film with a ton of different experiences. Having no film experience is one of them. You aren't alone. As long as you have the passion for storytelling you're good.

Grad school certainly isn't required to work in film but it can certainly a lot of fun and you'll probably meet some great peers and professors who will help you in your film "journey".

What aspect of filmmaking are you interested in? If it's writing start writing... If it's directing grab a camera and start telling stories. I think one of the options for the USC portfolio is to tell a story in 6 photographs. That would be a fun project to get your creative juices going. See the interview with USC admissions for more info on that:

Considered by many to be the best film school in the world, it’s no wonder why the USC School of Cinematic Arts (SCA) is so sought after by prospective undergraduate and graduate students alike. However, the film school’s prestige can often make the application process particularly stressful and...

Welcome and good luck!
Hello! Thank you for Responding!

I definitely feel the drive to tell stories within in me, and, just like you said, I think going to some kinda school will give me a chance to really network with people and meet future colleagues. I'm interested in production, and I think finding a graduate school that help with that would be good. I was really looking at FSU since it's close to my location, but I guess I would need to assemble a portfolio before I apply.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
BU
There are some FSU grads at my work (Undergrad) and they're awesome. Seems like a good school.

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• USC Cinematic Arts - Film and Television Production (MFA)
    2.00 star(s)
    Great Marketing, Subpar Reality
    I'm writing this review because there wasn't a lot of clear info when I was applying so I hope that this can offer some clarification beyond the...
    • Anonymous
    1.00 star(s)
    Hollywood Trash
    Overall, this school is what 'quantity over quality' means. The network they brag about is absolutely not as they market. The filmmakers who come...
    • soybean
    1.00 star(s)
    Questionable Investment
    If you don’t get a scholarship to attend USC I would advise against going. It’s too much money to throw away for a school with so many problems...
    • Anonymous
  • Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    BEST use of your time!
    Thanks to professor Carl Haber I was able to learn the fundamentals of screenwriting and how to implement them. For the first time in my life, I'm...
    • pcasmur
  • UCLA TFT - Screenwriting (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    The Right Move For Me
    I have loved this program so far! For me, it was the right move. Coming from out-of-state, I learned a lot about LA and housing, but it could have...
    • Anonymous