New York Film Academy ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!

Hey everybody,

first of all, this is not a thread on weather or not to go to film school. I have made the decision to go (basically to make as much stuff as possible without having to call up friends or shooting my dog etc)...

and yes, i know that this is a thing that have been touched upon a lot, but here goes.

i made the decision, to me it would be best to go to film school, this gives birth to a whole new issue tho, sorting out the crap from the good ones. I must say, that what i can find online of information, alumni, and program setup. NYFA does seem like the perfect place for me to go. I don't care about diploma or accreditation, i just wanna make a lot of stuff fro my portfolio. Their 1 year filmmaking program seems to offer me JUST THAT!.

I can't, however, not keep having in mind all the mixed reviews it have gotten, and that makes me itchy... i have spend days trying to find some kind of balance in reviews an people who shared their experience, but it all seems to be close. the problem is that either people was extremely happy about it, or thougt it was the worst dicession ever. I want straight answers, preferably from people who have either went there, or have someone close to them sharing their experience. I myself have a dear friend who went there for 6 months, and he was quite happy about it.

Yes i know that its a for profit school and all that, and i don't care. Im from europe originally so what i really want to avoid is moving across the globe without having the right information to base my decision on. Again this is NOT a thread about weather or not to go to film school, i have made that decision.

Hi Daniel,

We saw your post, and thought it may be helpful to reply. What I hope to be able to do is tell you about some of the positive aspects of the New York Film Academy to help you make an informed decision. We know there are a number of institutions out there from which to choose, and we want you to choose the Academy, because you have all the information about the education that we deliver and are confident that you will get all you need, and then some, to understand and succeed in your chosen craft.

When we design our programs, there are many factors taken into consideration, but there are three very specific and important criteria at the forefront – the program must be intensely “hands-on,” we must have excellent and experienced instructors, and we must have the appropriate equipment, both in quality and quantity, to achieve the program objectives for each and every student. The focus on these elements results, invariably, in programs that require students to execute many projects that cover a lot of information and technology in a relatively short amount of time. It also results in curricula that require the students’ total commitment to their course of study. In other words, the programs aren’t easy. I’ll even say the programs aren’t for everybody.

We place big demands on our students to get a lot done outside of the classroom, as well as in the classroom. Some students are simply not prepared for that kind of workload, and we understand it can be overwhelming, if it is unexpected. Nonetheless, for students that are determined to be in the field - students who really want it - we’re here to help them through it. As we say on the first day of our programs at orientation, filmmaking, by nature, is beset with obstacles. Share your challenges with us, seek your teachers out for consultation, and talk to the administration, if you need assistance. We want each student to successfully complete his or her chosen course of study, and we will assist in all ways that we can, above and beyond the curriculum, to make that happen. This is a very special and positive aspect of the Academy, and, I feel, a bit unique. However, students have to take advantage of this “open door” policy of communication to make it work.

You didn’t share in your post the specific complaints or the accolades that former students had, so I will simply share with you a few other elements that I believe make the Academy a great choice. In our filmmaking programs, students make more films than at most other schools. We believe you can’t really learn filmmaking unless you make films. The Academy also has one of the largest equipment inventories of any film school, and we’re constantly updating our camera inventory to expose students to the current and sought after technologies. This allows each student to write, direct, shoot and edit his or her own films with excellent equipment and software.

Lastly, I want to speak about the Academy’s instructors. At any school, it is the instructors who are on the front line with the students, and it is the instructors who make the programs come to life, and our instructors are some of the best out there. They are dedicated and available to the students, and often go well beyond what is required of them to help the students succeed. They are all experienced professionals who are still in the industry – this is very important. The film industry is constantly evolving and instructors have far more to offer if they’re still currently working in the field. I, for one, am very proud of the faculty we have assembled at all of our locations, and I know you will be effectively taught what you need to get to work.

As a closing note, I’d like you to know that you should try to experience a little taste of what I have described, before you apply. We invite prospective students to sit in on a class at the Academy, before they enroll. See a teacher and a class in action, speak to the students, and ask us any questions you can think of.

I really hope this is helpful, and I want you to know that I am available to address any additional concerns.

All the best,

David Klein
Senior Director
New York Film Academy

Last edited by a moderator:

Mani55

Hi there, i applied to to nyfa for a bachelors degree in filmmaking an i just want to know how long it takes to get accepted or not.

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member
My neighbor's nephew went to the NYFA program at Universal and thought it was good. I see all the NYFA students waiting to cross the street on my drive to work. :)

I think everything is what you make of it. It's up to you to make it a great experience (and this applies to any school and any situation) One good thing I've heard about NYFA is you work on the most recent equipment - correct me if I'm wrong though.

dream

Hey Guys!! I'm starting 1 yr Film making program in Jan 2015. I'm going back to school after working 15yrs, although it seems intimidating I'm very excited. What should I except the first day of classes?? what should i take? please help !!! any advice is appreciated!
thanks

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member
Hey Guys!! I'm starting 1 yr Film making program in Jan 2015. I'm going back to school after working 15yrs, although it seems intimidating I'm very excited. What should I except the first day of classes?? what should i take? please help !!! any advice is appreciated!
thanks
I know of someone who went to the one in Burbank and enjoyed it for cinematography. I'll reach out to him and see if he'd like to post something about his experience here.

dream

I know of someone who went to the one in Burbank and enjoyed it for cinematography. I'll reach out to him and see if he'd like to post something about his experience here.
Thanks for your response chris.....appreciate it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Applications

Latest reviews