NFTS 2015

Hi all,

I thought it would be nice if we started a new thread to NFTS applications next year, since the 2014 one is no longer necessary. We can discuss about showreels, applications, experiences... Whatever makes the journey easier!

I'm planning to apply for Directing Fiction and also Cinematography

Hi all,

I thought it would be nice if we started a new thread to NFTS applications next year, since the 2014 one is no longer necessary. We can discuss about showreels, applications, experiences... Whatever makes the journey easier!

I'm planning to apply for Directing Fiction and also Cinematography

That's great. What are you submitting as a showreel, if you don't mind sharing?

Well, for my Directing application I'm preparing a film, still finishing the script. For the Cinematography one, I'll prepare the Reel once I'd finished my short film, so I can include it to my previous works: some short films, two videoclips, etc

Hey there! I'm considering applying to NFTS for Directing Fiction in 2015. and I have a lot of ideas and visions that I want to realise that would benefit from a film school education and really create an incredible work environment in the industry as a director. That being said, the filmmaking bug hit me late on during my undergraduate degree (Modern Languages!) and now I'm near graduation, I want to apply myself fully to make myself as a director in the real world (and not just in my head!).

NFTS is just so appealing but seems a pipe dream to someone like me. I'm worried that my lack of experience with professionals might let down my app. So my question to you guys if how important do you think experience is in regards to my chances of getting in? Should I wait out a year?

Hi guys,

I definitely want to apply for the Cinematography MA but am trying to decide whether I want to wait a year or two. (Just graduating from Film and TV Prod at York)

So my question to you guys if how important do you think experience is in regards to my chances of getting in? Should I wait out a year?

I've done a lot of research, talked to tutors, current students etc and even reading the website, what it appears to boil down to is attitude, commitment, teamwork and that you do have untapped vision/talent that can be brought to the fore through the course. I went to an open day and they said (in regards to cine) they weren't looking for fully fledged DoP's, they wanted people who had the drive and talent so that they could mould them.

I'd suggest heading to one of the upcoming course specific open days, ask some questions, see if you think you're ready. Also something to note is most people get in the 2nd time they apply. Hope this helps!

Hey, do any of you know if the application must be paid? I mean, I never read anything about that so I assumed it was free, but the other day I was making some research and read something about 60 pounds... Can anyone confirm that?

Hi there, I am a management student. I am planning to get to into Film Making, i just wanted to know if there is any prior experience required to get admission in a diploma course of film making. Please help me. Thanks and regards

I'm going to apply for their editing course. I've got almost everything ready, all that needs to be finished is the montage.
I know firsthand it's going to be a bit of an uphill battle, as I haven't finished my degree in my last film school, but I may be on the ball rolling towards finishing that up in the summer.

Does anybody know if
a. They accept copy-written footage for the montage and/or
b. If they accept previous class exercises in the DVD?

Finally... I was waiting for moths for someone to open the topic for this year.

Hello film makers : )
I am applying at NFTS this year as well. I have my undergrad done in January... it's in engineering but for the past three-four years I have been working on movies and storytelling. Right now it's crazy - I am kinda broke and running around getting shots and scene for my portfolio. I am looking to apply for MA Cinematography and Directing fiction.

From the school told me that the deadline for Cinematography is 7th of May... does someone know what is the deadline for Directing fiction?
Also to ask again - if you apply twice, does that mean you have to pay two submission fees?

It looks like all their MA deadlines are May 7. Including directing fiction. That's what it says on their site.

As for the 2nd question, it's probably best to ask their registrar. They got all my questions here answered pretty well, so if you have any questions, especially regarding application, they'll have a pretty good idea where to steer you.

On a side note, this is what I'm submitting as my montage.

Hi there, I'm going to apply for NFTS, MA Directing Fiction. Part of the entry requirements is to apply with a treatment of an original film. It's stated on their website that the treatment should include (1) the basic situation and (2) the characters and other elements as well as (3) the main thrust of the story as it changes from beginning, through middle, to end. However, mine looks more of a script now.

Anyone, any advice on how to go about elements 1 and 2?

Thanks!

Looks really professional. Hard to tell if it's a good montage, though. Cos I'm more used to looking at it from a director's point of view.

Thanks. I looked at a couple other entries that got in, and I'd noticed that they said if you didn't have access to an NLE, then to have photos and put them together in a story. While I used Premiere to cut that, That story part is what I was focusing on. I've sent all my materials, so I can't make any more changes. What you see is at picture lock.

Curious though, what would you, as a director, consider as a good montage? What criteria do you look for?

As for your questions, the one answer hitting me over the head is to have some sort of main conflict, and resolution to that conflict. Give the people a reason why that story needs to be told and received. That's really all I'm thinking of.

Last edited:
Okay, I had one other suggestion. Look at your characters and how they are right now, and even if it's a 2-minute piece, give them some sort of development. Let the situation impact their thoughts and actions, and give them consequences, where they apply. And also let those characters respond to said consequences.

Well I don't really understand what they want with all that either. I have a few scripts that are done and waiting on shelves so I wrote a treatment of one of them. But I am a little afraid to submit it cause it's not your original story. I don't really have a hero in the story. Or with other words - my hero is the villain. And there is no real resolution to his deeps, it's just a circle that he keeps repeating. I think it came a nice treatment. Did somebody submit to directing fiction yet? I will send next week

Sent my materials in a little over a week ago. Got the message this morning that the school now has it.

And now, it's time to wait.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back