NFTS - 2018 Entry

Siskata

Sorry to hear that! Although maybe they act like that with everyone like in those reality competition cooking shows so they don't give away who the like the most? No? Grasping at straws here. :) Keep your chin up... maybe you just didn't jive with the interviewer. Well for sure keep working and honing your craft and don't give up... and for sure don't let one rejection stop you. Although it's not school related... I must have sent my resume to at least 100 post houses before I got my first job as an assistant. Persistence definitely pays off.

Were the films they shown you known works or their own creations?
Haha, nah, they definitely weren't playing a deliberately ambiguous hand, it was very evident they didn't like my opening statement. It's a bit of a bummer right now on my way home knowing I didn't represent myself as effectively as I'd like, but film is my passion and there's absolutely no way I'd be deterred by one interview. In a way it may be a blessing - I know my true desire is to write and direct films, but as I have no experience in the field of directing, I've been following the editing trail as I have evidence to support my interest. This is definitely forcing me to reconsider why I'm really stressing to get into a department which I'm ultimately a bit less excited by. I need to make a short film and stop pretending that editing is my dream. At the moment, I have the finances to do it - it's more a question of having the courage to take action.

EDIT: And the films they offer you to review are "official" films: The Hard Stop, The White Ribbon and The Long Goodbye.

LMTD92

Hey guys, I was invited to the Selection Interview and Workshop for the MA in Composing for Film (yay :D).

Does anyone have an idea what to expect? Are we going to do analysis, write something on the spot? Should I brush up on particular software?

Do you think that they are keeping us in the dark as part of their selection strategy? Or do you think that they'll send more info later on (although to be honest there isn't that much time left)?
Hi,

Chris W requested that I give you some info. I graduated the composing course this year so I'm happy to any questions you might have. I'm quite certain that they've changed the process slightly since I did it in 2014, but I can tell you what we had to do as it probably won't vary too much.

We went for an interview where we were given a choice of 3 films to watch and analyse for about 30 minutes, then we went straight into the interview where we had a short 10 minute discussion about the film and what we thought about it (not necessarily in musical terms). Then the rest of the interview is just questions about yourself and a few music related things - don't be intimidated as they may seem strict, but it's more of a good cop bad cop scenario. After that we were done and we had to wait several weeks before being selected for a workshop where we came and worked at the school for 5 days. In this time we were given one of the composers studios, and we had the 5 days to score 3 short sections from films/animations. We were visited twice a day by the tutors to check in and have a listen, but aside from that we were essentially just there on our own working (although you will meet all the others there on the workshop too). At the end of the 5 days we all gathered in the cinema and watched/reviewed each others work. Remember this is part of the interview too, as they will be interested to what you have to say about others work. We then had to wait another few weeks before finding out when we got in, which I think was in August.

From what I know about how it works now, you will probably have an interview and then be sent a few clips to score at home instead. What I would recommend to prepare is to make sure that you know Logic Pro X and Kontakt 5 well enough so that you can work there either on an interview or if you get a place at the school. The school in general are more interested in what you are like as a person and what you say about film than they are about things like music theory etc. If i were you I would avoid any music theory talk unless they ask you. Before I interviewed I practiced writing a lot just incase they wanted stuff done whilst we were there, so I think that is a good idea if you're not already doing so. Being good at mockups is very important in my opinion as you won't always be able to record live for your project and your teams will expect good work from you. I should mention however that there are 2 (or 3) recording sessions at a studio in London with a small orchestral ensemble, so if the timing is right then you can use this for projects.

I think overall the school is a great way to meet people and work in real life scenarios, and I can't deny that it's helped me get work during and since leaving. The 2 years is a lot of work and requires a ton of effort and patience, but I think you get out what you put in.

I should say that as a composer, it may not be exactly as you expect (depending on what you are expecting). You have to remember that many of these films are not Hollywood style and therefore don't require massive scores. Of course some do, and myself and others that I know have had the chance to do bigger scores on the projects that need it, but a lot of what you do may be be quite minimal. This isn't necessarily a bad thing as it is definitely good to learn how to work with different people and cater for what they need, but naturally most composers are looking to inject as much musicality into whatever they do.

Hope this has helped and good luck!

Cora

Thanks Siskata and LWright, this is really helpfull.

I'm sorry to hear you felt your interview didn't go as well as you hoped, but stay optimistic:) . I think there's a good chance the interview went better thank you think, at least that's my experience.

About the workshop, it would be super useful if you could elaborate on the workstation. What software/samples will we use during the workshop? I am a bit worried as I know Cubase A LOT better than Logic or Pro Tools. I want to overcome such a drawback as much as I can before the workshop so that I can focus on the writing.

Thank you :)

LWright

It will be Logic on the workshop, and the computers generally all have VSL, EW Hollywood Gold and depending on wether you get a first or second year room, some have stuff like Omnisphere and Broadway Big Band.

Cora

Thanks guys, this is super helpful and great advice! LMDT92 I missed your post just before so had to go asking again, but thanks for the comprehensive reply! I'll get on it right away!

RockinCon

Film Editor
Siskata,

They didn't even make me watch footage, maybe it was because mine was a skype interview and I assume that you went in for yours. But same with me with the reactions they seemed to not like any of my answers and said my montage was well done and if I would be able to attend the workshop which I said I could. the interview lasted maybe 15 minutes and they just kinda listened to my granted very weak answers. But I still have a smidge of hope and they seemed impressed that I was self taught but who knows what they were thinking. :D

Best of luck though! t-minus two weeks till we find out!

RockinCon

Film Editor
That was pretty good. You managed to tell a "story" or at least a sequence of different shots that made sense and put together pretty well. Was the voice from a movie? Sounded a little like McConaughey. And everyone loves some Zimmer.

Was there a specific thing they were looking for or was the request pretty generic?

Good luck!

It'd be neat if they'd give editor applicants footage to use from a scene so they'd see how they'd have put it together. But that's probably what you'll be doing in the workshop.

Here's the blog on this site that I've been adding to from time to time on editing if you're interested:

Unscripted | FilmSchool.org - The Best Film School Reviews & Forums
Yes it's McConaughey I pulled the poem from the trailer and laid a track under it then switch to a more upbeat track with the rocket launch. My hope was to tell the story of space travel from past, present to future and far future...lets hope that got across xD

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member
Yes it's McConaughey I pulled the poem from the trailer and laid a track under it then switch to a more upbeat track with the rocket launch. My hope was to tell the story of space travel from past, present to future and far future...lets hope that got across xD
BTW while I was waiting on notes today I ran across this:

It's Gunsmoke dailies which apparently some film schools use to teach students how to edit. Might be fun to play with. My film school didn't use it but then again that was 20 years ago.

And I ran across this website too:

EditStock | Footage to Practice Film Editing

Could be neat things to use to practice your craft.

EDIT - that Gunsmoke footage is neat. Finally took a moment to watch a good amount of it. That would be fun to play with for sure. Editing is a blast. I hope it works out for you guys and keep me posted. Don't stop cutting. :)

Last edited:

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member
My hope was to tell the story of space travel from past, present to future and far future...lets hope that got across xD
And yes you definitely got that across. Loved the SpaceX stuff (I've been watching all those launches live so Elon's made me a space junkie now) ha. Good stuff. Hope they like it.

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member
Did you submit a short film too or was it an either or with the montage? (just looked at their entry requirements)

RockinCon

Film Editor
Did you submit a short film too or was it an either or with the montage? (just looked at their entry requirements)
Yeah I submitted a documentary I made in a local film school here. I submitted all my best work within the past year so lets hope my work shows what I am capable of.

Vic

Hey everyone,

I've been lurking here for a while but finally decided to just post. I applied for the cinematography department (this is my second go) and have been invited for an interview. Should anyone with more information about the cinematography interview and workshop be lurking around here as well, please do share your knowledge. I'm very interested as well in the experience graduates had going to NFTS, the good and the bad.

And for those still waiting for their rejection email: don't give up. I have a feeling they only send the rejection emails at the end of the month even though the interviews have been going full force. For the reason that this way the NFTS can keep their options open. Should they feel they need more interviews to select their candidates, they can still look back at the original application list.

And should anyone have any questions, feel free to ask. I''ll try to update my journey as I go.

Norbert Varjasi

Hey everyone,

I've been lurking here for a while but finally decided to just post. I applied for the cinematography department (this is my second go) and have been invited for an interview. Should anyone with more information about the cinematography interview and workshop be lurking around here as well, please do share your knowledge. I'm very interested as well in the experience graduates had going to NFTS, the good and the bad.

And for those still waiting for their rejection email: don't give up. I have a feeling they only send the rejection emails at the end of the month even though the interviews have been going full force. For the reason that this way the NFTS can keep their options open. Should they feel they need more interviews to select their candidates, they can still look back at the original application list.

And should anyone have any questions, feel free to ask. I''ll try to update my journey as I go.
Hey Vic,
Congrats for your invitation :) I applied to the cinematography course as well, and waiting for my email.
Can you tell me the date of your interview?

Vic

Hey Vic,
Congrats for your invitation :) I applied to the cinematography course as well, and waiting for my email.
Can you tell me the date of your interview?
Hi Norbert,

After my application, the cinematography panel requested more info about the film I sent in and for some extra work. On June 13th I received my interview invite. The interview is on the 23rd of June and I'll hear the result by the 3rd of July. The workshop should come about two weeks after hearing the results.

Is it the first time you're applying?

Norbert Varjasi

Hi Norbert,

After my application, the cinematography panel requested more info about the film I sent in and for some extra work. On June 13th I received my interview invite. The interview is on the 23rd of June and I'll hear the result by the 3rd of July. The workshop should come about two weeks after hearing the results.

Is it the first time you're applying?
Yes, It is my first time. I'm wondering if there will be more interview dates for us, or It is more likely I will not be invited.

Vic

Yes, It is my first time. I'm wondering if there will be more interview dates for us, or It is more likely I will not be invited.
Don't give up. Until you receive a rejection letter I believe you're still in the running. And if you don't get an interview in the end, there's always next year. In a year's time my application has become a lot stronger compared to the one from the year before. I'm happy to be one step further than last time. If I don't make the cut this time, I'll try again next year.

Last edited:

Vic

Hey Vic.

Nice one. Congratulations and all the best for your interview! I was wondering if you'd share your application reel with us? Would love to see your work!

Best,
Dan
I'm sorry I haven't completed a showreel yet, it's one of my goals for the coming months. I sent in a short film that for my application. I can't share the film as it's still working on its festival cycle.

Should I be allowed to progress any further I'll hopefully have a showreel by then.

TKS

Hi there,

finally got around to writing here I applied for the MA in Directing Fiction, no response yet. Looking for any fellow applicants around, anyone received their interview date so far?

Congrats to all those that got through to the interview round so far!

Hi there,

finally got around to writing here I applied for the MA in Directing Fiction, no response yet. Looking for any fellow applicants around, anyone received their interview date so far?

Congrats to all those that got through to the interview round so far!
Hey, TKS same thing here.

Did they tell you that they are going to answer at the end of June.?

I bet that the applications for DF are hundreds, so the answers will come late.

Good luck.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews