1. The FilmSchool.org community has been helping people apply to film school since 2002. Log in or Create an Account and get your film school questions answered. (It's free!)

NFTS - 2018 Entry

Discussion in 'Graduate Film School Discussions' started by Siskata, Jun 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Manish rana

Manish rana New Member

Ratings:
    +1
  2. Nat

Nat New Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Have you had your interview? There was a guy there having a Directing Fiction interview when we were doing our Cinematography workshop last week (Wed), so it might be a few more weeks before you get an answer.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AndyRosserson

AndyRosserson New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hello everyone - I'm new here. I came across this thread while researching NFTS earlier today.
    I've applied for MA Editing, had the interview and I'll be going to the workshop next week. The nerves have started to finally break out after reading the PDF that's been sent out to the all the attendees...

I've seen that at least one other person here is going to the workshop, look forward to seeing you there!

• Like Like x 1
  4. RockinCon

RockinCon Wannabe Film Editor

Ratings:
    +17

Welcome and Congrats! I'll be in the editing workshop as well! I just got the itinerary and its finally hit that I am going!

Safe Travels!

• Like Like x 1
  5. benoit

benoit New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, longtime lurker here!

I applied to the Directing and Producing Television Entertainment and just got invited to interview om August 17. Bummer, as I will be touring through the U.S. with a group of kids. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the registry conducting interviews via Skype? If not, I would have to spend a lot of money!

Also, since they are doing interviews that late in August, does anyone have an idea when the workshops would be for this? Do they follow the interviews quickly in general?

Thanks!

6. RockinCon

Ratings:
    +17
    I did the Skype interview and it was easy just make sure you are in well light room and have a good camera. It's a standard skype interview.

Hope that helps

• Like Like x 1
  7. MikeP

MikeP New Member

Ratings:
    +4
    This thread still alive?

Got my email today, interview for DFX is 9th of August, anyone else about on this date?

Absolutely buzzing, cannot wait

• Like Like x 2
  8. RockinCon

Ratings:
    +17
    yes still alive! Good luck! Just be yourself!

I just got back from the editing workshop last Sunday and it was a lot of fun and today I got the email with the formal offer attend the school for Film editing in January!

To everyone else waiting to hear back from anyone or everyone, keep your heads up and stay positive! I'm sending you all good vibes from California.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Siskata

Siskata Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Congratulations, Constance! I received the same email yesterday. I'm absolutely ecstatic, and very curious to know who else from the workshop made it through. When the time comes, it's going to be a little depressing to see certain names excluded from the list because I really liked everyone there. Anyway, well done again, and see you in January!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Giddy

Giddy Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +24
    Well done Rockincon and Siskata! Fantastic news and a long wait to hear it!

Good luck Benoit and Mike, let us know how you get on.

11. uffie

uffie New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    hey guys!

i have been stalking this thread literally the whole time i've been applying to this school and i just wanna congratulate everyone on their interviews/acceptances!

i've been applying for production design and i recently got invited to the workshop/interview! i'm really hyped but also super nervous as this is the first time i've ever had to do a workshop interview... i'm really putting in my all so hopefully i'll be okay haha.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MikeP

MikeP New Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hey everyone

Had my interview for DFX yesterday, was told I'll hear back within the next 2 weeks or so.

Seemed positive, however, as I was only the second person being interviewed out of 40, I don't think they wanted to get my hopes up, or shoot me down on the spot, so I kept receiving mixed messages from the panel.

Just have to wait and see how it goes from here :)

For those wondering how the interview is conducted (something I really wished I had known before going in) it's really straightforward, simple and relaxed. You go in, sit down with 2 interviewers, they crack some jokes and ask you a few easy to answer questions. It's honestly super simple and just a way for them to get to know you as a person.

Hope that helps anyone, any other questions you can drop me a message if you like.

Good luck to anyone else who is currently attending interviews, hope to see some of you around the school in January!

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Sara

Sara New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello Everyone!
    I got my interview invitation for Directing and Producing Science and Natural History. Is there anyone here who knows people who have been through the application process for this program?
    Thanks a lot and congratulations for those invited/accepted!

• Like Like x 1
  14. AndyRosserson

AndyRosserson New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hellooooo

I didn't get in to the MA Editing course! They gave me a straight no! :rolleyes: Ah well.

I think I would have been more bothered if I wasn't already surprised to get to where I was in the first place - maybe I'll apply again next year. Quite a few people messaged me from the workshop to explain they'd been rejected too. As a clue to who has been accepted, I think it's the majority of the people who were in the building where the normal editing students hang out - a lot of those who were in the newer building didn't seem to have been accepted (I think only one or two?).

I think my downfall was just not explaining my actions and choices as much as they wanted during the reviews - I'm too used to saying things to the point (i'm a film teacher and this is basically what happens after spending two years teaching upto 21 young adults at one time) - they would ask me why I chose particular shots or chose to edit sequences in certain ways and I'd explain I simply thought it made more sense with a brief explanation why. I think they were hoping for someone who was much more verbal. I'm writing this down because hopefully those of you who end up reaching the workshop stage in the future will know to show as much enthusiasm as you can.

#114 AndyRosserson, Aug 14, 2017 at 7:13 AM
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017 at 7:24 AM
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Giddy

Giddy Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +24
    Sorry to hear that Andy, I hope you're not being too hard on yourself. Strange that they would divide you before the last choices were made. Do you think that the person who had most power was in that section and he or she got first dibs on students? You sound really experienced so hopefully you will find a really awesome opportunity soon and will think how lucky you were that you didn't return to university.

Good luck Uffie, Sara and Mike, let us know how you get along. The waiting is the worst isn't it!

16. Valnubian

Valnubian New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Mike

I had my interview on the 10th of August. I was searching this thread to see if anyone else had applied for DFX and you're the first I have seen lol.

I think mine went pretty well and yes same it was very relaxed and they were more asking questions about my work and myself. I was so nervous/excited going in but they were really nice. They said the same about 2 weeks but that hasn't stopped me looking at my emails like a crazy person LOL good luck hopefully we get some good news.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ConnieKu

ConnieKu New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone!
    I just found this forum and I'm so happy to finally have found a place to discuss NFTS!
    I want to apply for the MA in Screenwriting but only in 2019, so I think I still have a bit of time - any advice from those here who did get to the interview stage? What kind of questions were asked, what did they seem to look out for in your scripts?
    Any kind of advice would be helpful, thanks so much!
    Good luck to everyone here! :)