NFTS - 2018 Entry

@Memz Four days... it's going to be four days PLUS next week. AHHHH *picks up gun*. Brian said they would decide quickly (probably that day) so the wait will be for the registry to check forms and deal with all of the applications. Probably not helped my people like me phoning up and wasting their time, haha.

@ChrisW I read it on this site ... @kbills said for 2013 there were 900 for Cinematography and @DCL added 350 for directing fiction. I just assumed the amount would be about the same. Someone had a list somewhere but can't find it. This year I was told MA Screenwriting had about 165 applicants for 10 places.

@Nat you are in the right place to share the pain. The decline in my perspective and mood is fast becoming ridiculous.

@Norbert Varjasi Ah, jeez, I am really sorry to hear that Norbert. Will you raise the issue of the video in response? If they didn't see your contribution it is only fair that they are asked to.

@Memz Four days... it's going to be four days PLUS next week. AHHHH *picks up gun*. Brian said they would decide quickly (probably that day) so the wait will be for the registry to check forms and deal with all of the applications. Probably not helped my people like me phoning up and wasting their time, haha.

@ChrisW I read it on this site ... @kbills said for 2013 there were 900 for Cinematography and @DCL added 350 for directing fiction. I just assumed the amount would be about the same. Someone had a list somewhere but can't find it. This year I was told MA Screenwriting had about 165 applicants for 10 places.

@Nat you are in the right place to share the pain. The decline in my perspective and mood is fast becoming ridiculous.

Oh so you spoke to Brian directly today?

Anyone from MA Cinematography? I had my interview last Thursday, pretty sure I ballsed it up in a spectacular fashion. Now awaiting word on whether I've made it through to the workshop.. I called registry too and they said "early next week"... whyyyyy

I was extremely nervous for my interview last friday. My preperation was quite heavy as I had tried to anticipate many questions they could possibly have for me. Once inside the room I was welcomed by a lovely set of panel members and the interview went very well. It was quite clear they were just touching on some questions about our application or experience but mainly were interested in you as a person. The questions they ask will vary depending on who you are as an individual. I had low hopes of getting invited to the interview stage. But after the interview I felt comfortable of at least entertaining the idea of being invited to the workshop.

I wouldn't worry though. Like yourself I felt my interview could've gone better as well. I'm sure they'll send us an email on Monday or Tuesay. The registry seemed a bit swamped when I had to go there to have my picture taken.

@Memz no I didn't talk to Brian today just the registry. I had my interview last Friday and he said at the end that they would be making their decision quickly but the registry would take a couple of weeks. That makes sense as they are all busy and were together after a long week - everyone will be fresh on their minds. I imagine that they have a yes, no and definitely no pile as they work through everyone then at the end choose 10 for an offer and 4 for the reserve list. I think they had around 6 interviews a day for 5 days so 30 in total (that's just my estimate).

@Vic our interview was the same. Questions about us as a person, how we work and writing etc. All under very watchful eyes I should add. I gulped down about 7 glasses of water. Bet that jug got a few refills.

@Vic our interview was the same. Questions about us as a person, how we work and writing etc. All under very watchful eyes I should add. I gulped down about 7 glasses of water. Bet that jug got a few refills.

You must have been the one before me. Because I didn't get any water. ;)

@Memz no I didn't talk to Brian today just the registry. I had my interview last Friday and he said at the end that they would be making their decision quickly but the registry would take a couple of weeks. That makes sense as they are all busy and were together after a long week - everyone will be fresh on their minds. I imagine that they have a yes, no and definitely no pile as they work through everyone then at the end choose 10 for an offer and 4 for the reserve list. I think they had around 6 interviews a day for 5 days so 30 in total (that's just my estimate).

Oh right. So its the damn registry I should blame for my crippling anxiety.

Yeah, they told me there were 31 people being interviewed.

No offense to the religious ones among you but I have considered myself an atheist for the past 20 years. Until this moment. I'm on the cinematography workshop! There must be a God!!

I was just writing about how knowing I won't find out until next week had actually made me relax a bit more today when I saw the email. Now I have a new thing to worry about for the next two weeks! Good luck to the rest of you!!

No offense to the religious ones among you but I have considered myself an atheist for the past 20 years. Until this moment. I'm on the cinematography workshop! There must be a God!!

I was just writing about how knowing I won't find out until next week had actually made me relax a bit more today when I saw the email. Now I have a new thing to worry about for the next two weeks! Good luck to the rest of you!!

Preach! Congratulations to you. I'm accepted to the workshop as well. I'll see you there.

@Nat and @Vic WELL DONE! And you did that all without a glass of water @Vic!

You are both so strong for going through this process with an interview then a workshop! I would totally die. I haven't heard anything yet but wasn't expecting to.

Enjoy the weekend. Don't panic too much you're already in the top few.

Sounds like everyone is having a lot of fun either waiting or prepping for the workshops! I for one am in full stress mode for the editing workshop. Does anyone know what programs we will be using? If its AVID I'll def need to brush off the cobwebs as I haven't used the program in a long time.

@Giddy I was the exact same way and maybe laid in bed like a lump two days after the interview but don't worry you'll hear something soon!

Hey guys,

I applied for MA Screenwriting. I had my interview last Tuesday and came out of it feeling positive. I was set up by former students to expect a real good cop, bad cop routine, but while they did give me some feedback on my script, I think it was to see how I respond and internalise their notes as I've heard that they don't like people who mindlessly defend their stance/reasons for something in their script. But who knows? If I don't get in, at least I'll be proud of how I performed in the interview.

I must've restarted my task about four different times before going in to the interview! The adrenaline was coursing through me!

Good luck to everyone that's applied, I hope to be working with some of you if I get in and you guys get a place as well!

@FlightyZoo hey there and welcome to the waiting game place. Love how positive you sound! I didn't get the feeling of good/bad cop but I kind of felt two were really unsure of me as a person so maybe that was it in a gentle way.

Let us know how you get on and good luck! And you're right, we should be proud of getting through the interview.

@FlightyZoo hey there and welcome to the waiting game place. Love how positive you sound! I didn't get the feeling of good/bad cop but I kind of felt two were really unsure of me as a person so maybe that was it in a gentle way.

Let us know how you get on and good luck! And you're right, we should be proud of getting through the interview.

Hey, thanks. Looks like I'm in good company.

Well, I didn't either, but I was set up to believe that the interviews were like that by some of the alumni who I reached out to for advice! I found it to be great as the panel put me at ease. Could I ask who these two were? Because I feel like there was one who definitely kept a lot quieter, but I'm not sure if that was just who they are!

And you too! By the way, I've been lurking on this forum and I know you said that you spoke to registry who said that the information will be sent out soon about acceptance? I know in the original email inviting us to the interview said that responses would be emailed by July 21st. Since someone said that we may know before then, I've been constantly checking my emails and setting myself up for disappointment!

@FlightyZoo I don't want to say online who they were do we have a PM option on this site? Will tell you then.

My email said 21st July, interview said within two weeks, registry said more likely to be next week so I am guessing early next week. I have pretty much accepted a refusal but want to know so I can have a cry and start down a new road. I keep having a different interview with different questions and different answers in my head. Haha TOTAL waste of mental energy but there you go, that's the human brain for you!

It is what it is I suppose and I just keep coming back to the thought that whatever happens it will all be okay because it always is. It feels like a bit of a wash cycle of elation and disappointment which is all fantasy but I don't think we will have to wait for that much longer. Wine helps!

@FlightyZoo I don't want to say online who they were do we have a PM option on this site? Will tell you then.

My email said 21st July, interview said within two weeks, registry said more likely to be next week so I am guessing early next week. I have pretty much accepted a refusal but want to know so I can have a cry and start down a new road. I keep having a different interview with different questions and different answers in my head. Haha TOTAL waste of mental energy but there you go, that's the human brain for you!

It is what it is I suppose and I just keep coming back to the thought that whatever happens it will all be okay because it always is. It feels like a bit of a wash cycle of elation and disappointment which is all fantasy but I don't think we will have to wait for that much longer. Wine helps!

Feel free to PM. Curious to see how your interview went compared to mine. :)

I'm what you would say "cautiously optimistic" which isn't ideal, since it means being hopeful while also constantly going: "Look, the competition is mad. It might not happen this year!"

Just keep writing away is all I can say.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back