NFTS or LFS?

When I was considering film school LFS was on my list. I can't recall why the other was not. LFS looks like a nice program since it keeps you busy. I liked a lot of what they had to offer. The students look like they are constantly busy making movies.

That being said, I'd have never heard of the program here in the USA if I hadn't specifically gone looking for film schools, and in London.

You can't go wrong with either school, but to be honest, I see NFTS being the more useful as a school than LFS. I wish you luck on your decision, because either way, you'll have fun. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Regs

Hi All,

Is there anybody who have applied for LFS or NFTS this year or any current student from these schools?

I had few questions regarding these schools:

1) I could not find much reviews about LFS.Is the MA program any good?
2) I am planning to apply for NFTS for cinematogrpahy but I don't have experience handling camera. I have written,directed and edited all of my shorts. Would that be helpful?

It would be really helpful if someone can answer.

Thanks in advance.

ZhangRuoxuan

hey?Regs?i have get the offer of LFS alrealdy, i believe you can find enough imfomation from the website of LFS, and trust me, it's really good, maybe it's the best film
school in UK.
And, the second question, in my knowlege, NTFS needs pofessional skill before you applied, so, i think you need to express you passion.
good luck

Lucy

well, I used to have the same problem with the NFTS or LFS things. I tried to connect and get some advice from the professors in UK teaching visual art now.

They usually say things like that: The LFS has a good reputation. However, it is not generally considered the best film school in the UK. That is the National Film and Television School, at Beaconsfield, a few miles outside London.

That's the exact words I get from some professors, hoping it would do some help to your guys.

well, you know, it is not a final answer, just some individual's opinion, hoping that there are more guys actually attending the courses now or having graduated from the two schools providing more advice.

NFTS GRADUATE

Hi,
I have decided to share my experience at NFTS in the hope that it will help you taking a decision.
I have graduated at NFTS not so many years ago and these are some of my reasons for regretting it:

MONEY
The course is very expensive and to that there is to add accommodation and living. Really for many of the courses is very difficult to keep travelling from/ to London, as trains connecting are not very frequent, you feel you are missing out, and obviously the added price of an year travel card. I have come out with a huge debt that pushed me to have to get all the jobs I could...which eventually effected my work and reputation. And even worst my passion .. if you keep doing bad work because you must it really digs into your ability to love what you are doing. Trust me,...a huge debt is not what you need to get started.

THE GAME
A part a few very nice caring people NFTS feels like an Industry...ruthless and money driven. The reason why you have heard of NFTS and not LFS is because NFTS takes good care of advertising its successful student. This may seem a positive but really is not. Hang with me here. Once you have paid and you are in you are going to have to fight for things that you would think were part of your curriculum. Basic stuff: Tutor interest in your work and feedbacks are not given unless you literally pray for it..equipment availability is a real battle (they just haven't got enough for all the students, which has gone from 6 to 8...why? money )... opportunities are not distributed equally at all. The school will spot the few that they think "they have it" (and I would remind that this is such a limited vision driven by personal taste) and they will push them over you. You will see all great opportunities going in their hands with ease and yourself left fighting for the basic.
If you are looking for mentors, for a creative environment where you can be yourself and find your true voice, if you believe in film as an art, NFTS is not for you.

ATHMOSPERE
I can't even start to tell you how much I have suffered in the two years at NFTS. I have never seen a more *****y, competitive and fake environment in all my life. Once people are in and the see the way it works it's a every man for himself situation.. grab all you can or you won't get any at all. And if that was stated and clear wouldn't be a problem...but the worst part is that everyone seems to be everyone else best friend..till you get stabbed in the back.
This may sound over the top, but I promise is not. Imagine that every person that goes there feels like this is a make it or break it situation, not because they are like that, but that is the way they make you feel about it all... and that really brings the worst out of people. I never felt so lonely.
It's crazy..even the staff *****es and creates tensions..they have fights and attempts to sabotages amongst departments. I mean..this is meant to be a school.
Surely, you'll find the nice people and the one that do not get affected that much, but be ready to be the one left out of the games if you are not doing all in you can to get your opportunities over others.

FINAL THOUGHTS

You may be thinking I could be a very sensitive person, that maybe has to have the right atmosphere around himself to feel comfortable. Well, I am not.
I have moved out of my country when I was 18, went to other schools and lived with many different kind of people in many different situations, some very tense, trust me. But NFTS top them all. So keep that in mind.
Also I want to underline that that is the way the Industry works, so really it may be a good training ground. My problem is that out there you get paid for fighting...in NFTS you pay, and a lot. This is the national school... It should be a place of equal opportunities not a mirror of an unjust world, a place where people are helped to develop their talent and art, not a factory of Hollywood machines, a place where one feels part of a team, not a man in a fight for survival.
And this is why I don't advice NFTS to all of you.. I do advice it if you are ruthless, if you know how to play the game, if you know how play THEM.

NFTS GRADUATE with many awards

(By the way..I had to keep anonymous because I am afraid of the repercussions of me saying what I felt in my time there...Even if I am out since years. First unspoken rule at NFTS...never talk bad about NFTS or you'll be excluded. Fear.)

ValDalMil

Hey
actually I dont think its that easy to get in. you should take your time. maybe 2 years working strong on your portfolio. the acceptance rate is very low and as its a MA program most people do have an BA in something before they get in.
good luck!
It is not true. You don`t need to have strong portfolio. This is another urban legend. More than half of accepted students did short film just before applying and just to support application. Most of the students do not have any experience in film or TV. It is hard to get but only because of 8-10 places in each department and school politics about "equal opportunity" which means "you can be the best but do not fit indicators this year". But you should always try and apply. 70% is just luck. Plus there is not enough people in Sound (?) so they take a few random people and always a few students drop school in first 1-4 weeks so you can get in from back up list.

Good luck!

Kane

Hi,
I have decided to share my experience at NFTS in the hope that it will help you taking a decision.
I have graduated at NFTS not so many years ago and these are some of my reasons for regretting it:

MONEY
The course is very expensive and to that there is to add accommodation and living. Really for many of the courses is very difficult to keep travelling from/ to London, as trains connecting are not very frequent, you feel you are missing out, and obviously the added price of an year travel card. I have come out with a huge debt that pushed me to have to get all the jobs I could...which eventually effected my work and reputation. And even worst my passion .. if you keep doing bad work because you must it really digs into your ability to love what you are doing. Trust me,...a huge debt is not what you need to get started.

THE GAME
A part a few very nice caring people NFTS feels like an Industry...ruthless and money driven. The reason why you have heard of NFTS and not LFS is because NFTS takes good care of advertising its successful student. This may seem a positive but really is not. Hang with me here. Once you have paid and you are in you are going to have to fight for things that you would think were part of your curriculum. Basic stuff: Tutor interest in your work and feedbacks are not given unless you literally pray for it..equipment availability is a real battle (they just haven't got enough for all the students, which has gone from 6 to 8...why? money )... opportunities are not distributed equally at all. The school will spot the few that they think "they have it" (and I would remind that this is such a limited vision driven by personal taste) and they will push them over you. You will see all great opportunities going in their hands with ease and yourself left fighting for the basic.
If you are looking for mentors, for a creative environment where you can be yourself and find your true voice, if you believe in film as an art, NFTS is not for you.

ATHMOSPERE
I can't even start to tell you how much I have suffered in the two years at NFTS. I have never seen a more *y, competitive and fake environment in all my life. Once people are in and the see the way it works it's a every man for himself situation.. grab all you can or you won't get any at all. And if that was stated and clear wouldn't be a problem...but the worst part is that everyone seems to be everyone else best friend..till you get stabbed in the back.
This may sound over the top, but I promise is not. Imagine that every person that goes there feels like this is a make it or break it situation, not because they are like that, but that is the way they make you feel about it all... and that really brings the worst out of people. I never felt so lonely.
It's crazy..even the staff *es and creates tensions..they have fights and attempts to sabotages amongst departments. I mean..this is meant to be a school.
Surely, you'll find the nice people and the one that do not get affected that much, but be ready to be the one left out of the games if you are not doing all in you can to get your opportunities over others.

FINAL THOUGHTS

You may be thinking I could be a very sensitive person, that maybe has to have the right atmosphere around himself to feel comfortable. Well, I am not.
I have moved out of my country when I was 18, went to other schools and lived with many different kind of people in many different situations, some very tense, trust me. But NFTS top them all. So keep that in mind.
Also I want to underline that that is the way the Industry works, so really it may be a good training ground. My problem is that out there you get paid for fighting...in NFTS you pay, and a lot. This is the national school... It should be a place of equal opportunities not a mirror of an unjust world, a place where people are helped to develop their talent and art, not a factory of Hollywood machines, a place where one feels part of a team, not a man in a fight for survival.
And this is why I don't advice NFTS to all of you.. I do advice it if you are ruthless, if you know how to play the game, if you know how play THEM.

NFTS GRADUATE with many awards

(By the way..I had to keep anonymous because I am afraid of the repercussions of me saying what I felt in my time there...Even if I am out since years. First unspoken rule at NFTS...never talk bad about NFTS or you'll be excluded. Fear.)
That is really helpful what you say .. I felt all of this when I was there for open day. I am not English And I was really uncomfortable there as a European . From 190 people only 3 (+1 myself) were non-British . Maybe that’s even normal as it’s NATIONAL Film and television school . Since that day I have a lots of questions in my mind where to apply.. and why.. for sure NFTS is highly recommend by many articles but when you need to learn everyday some subjects you must spend your lifetime and money , so you need make very practical decision and for sure you need much more information from students who already applied there .

ValDalMil

That is really helpful what you say .. I felt all of this when I was there for open day. I am not English And I was really uncomfortable there as a European . From 190 people only 3 (+1 myself) were non-British . Maybe that’s even normal as it’s NATIONAL Film and television school . Since that day I have a lots of questions in my mind where to apply.. and why.. for sure NFTS is highly recommend by many articles but when you need to learn everyday some subjects you must spend your lifetime and money , so you need make very practical decision and for sure you need much more information from students who already applied there .
I can bet that all those (or 95%) "articles" that highly recommend NFTS are just bought or are written as a favour etc. ONLY honest opinions about this school come from alumni. Just try to talk with them because I don't think people will be bit scared to write truth.

I like what my friend said lately, she was on Directing Fiction. She said "All courses in the school are literally just to provide free crew to Direction Fiction students". I think this means a lot, if not everything.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews