Non Film Experience Graduate from India applying for MFA in Film Production/Direction (1 Viewer)

riddhoroy

Hi guys!

First of all, hats off to the creators of this forum. It is wonderful that there is resource that is helping those of us who are confused when applying for Film Schools which is a huge ordeal in itself.

I completed my Bachelors in Economics from Pune, India and I'm now switching to this industry. To learn and develop my skills further, I am applying to film schools in the US.
Currently my list of Schools include: NYU, Chapman, University of Texas at Austin, Syracuse, University of Central Florida and Brooklyn College.

I am really nervous since I do not have prior professional experience in film production although I have time from now until Fall when I would start my program to build more experience. I have however been involved with films and cinema for a number of years. I have worked on Short Films in the capacity of a Director/Writer/Editor and even got them screened at festivals around the country where I've even won accolades for a few. Besides that in my university I created and started its first Film Society and have even interned with a film related NGO to work on documentaries.

At this moment I had the following questions that are bugging me:
1) I really want to know which other universities would be a good fit and would accept someone at my level?

2) My financial backing is not very strong, what are the kind of scholarships that are available to international students? What is the criteria for receiving the scholarship?

3) What are the factors that I should work on the most in my application since I'm applying from a non film background?

4) What are the kind of opportunities that are available once you've completed your degree?

I would love to hear from thoughts about this from other people who are presently in film school in the US/intend to be.

Thanks in advance!!

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
Welcome to the site!

In regards to experience it is not always required and a bunch of applicants don't have any it seems.

In fact you can browse through the "Prior experience" field in the full applications in the application tracker and see what people's prior experience was if they listed it.

Add your film school application to our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Add Application…

Student Films Made at Film Programs

Colella612
Updated
3.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Views
Reaction score
Reviews
Questions
After the light bulb on her film projector burns out, an elderly woman must confront a nightmarish world as well as the trauma of her past as she seeks to find a replacement before her memories are lost forever.
Film Program
Loyola Marymount University
Course
Directing Short Film II: Visual Story
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Drama
Duration/Running Time
5:58
Film Completion
May 3, 2021
A248
Views
Reaction score
In the midst of a global pandemic, a very paranoid vampire orders contactless food delivery.
Film Program
Course
PROD 685
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Comedy
Duration/Running Time
1:24
Film Completion
Aug 1, 2020
A248
Views
Reaction score
One man's mission to document and preserve the history and pop culture of the San Fernando Valley in Southern California. Tommy Gelinas was born and raised in the San Fernando Valley in Southern California. He grew up visiting restaurants, malls, and many other venues that slowly declined and...
Film Program
Course
PROD 600
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Documentary
Duration/Running Time
13:52
Film Completion
Dec 1, 2020

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Add your own Application to our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications