Northwestern University

Jonathan

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any information on the film program at Northwestern. It seems like an excellent school, but I don't really know about their film production program. It seems like it would be good, considering the funding of the school and it's reputation and all, but I'm worried because it's part of the communications school there, and it's billed as radio/tv/film program. So that might be potentially bad, but I don't really know. Any information at all would be most appreciated.

Jonathan

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any information on the film program at Northwestern. It seems like an excellent school, but I don't really know about their film production program. It seems like it would be good, considering the funding of the school and it's reputation and all, but I'm worried because it's part of the communications school there, and it's billed as radio/tv/film program. So that might be potentially bad, but I don't really know. Any information at all would be most appreciated.

uberLC

If it's billed as a radio/tv/film program, it's usually not focused 100% on film. The curriculum might be split up into radio (oh god), tv, and film. So if you want to do film full time, look for a program just called Film Production or Film Studies. Also, I'm sure Northwestern Univ. has some program info about it on their website.

Adam Price

I am going to Northwestern University this year (we start classes in 2 weeks) as a freshman, and I will be an RTVF major. I'm primarily interested in film, specifically cinematography. Granted, I haven't started school there yet, but I have done extensive research into the program NU offers and feel I have a pretty good understanding of the way the RTVF major is designed.

Although the department is called Radio/Television/Film, this does not require students in the major to take courses in all three areas. There are ample resources and opportunities in all three, but if you're like me and are mainly geared towards the film aspect, you can immerse yourself in it. In my understanding, even more emphasis is placed upon the production side of things, although there is also a strong foundation of film theory and history especially for underclassmen.

In addition, the graduate film program provides numerous production opportunities for undergrads. There are also numerous student-run filmmaking clubs and student-led productions on campus.

So, I'd certainly not discount Northwestern's film program just because it's called Radio/Television/Film.

Latest Classifieds

Featured Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• UCLA TFT - Screenwriting (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    The Right Move For Me
    I have loved this program so far! For me, it was the right move. Coming from out-of-state, I learned a lot about LA and housing, but it could have...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Chicago - Department of Cinema and Media Studies
    5.00 star(s)
    In my opinion, the University of Chicago's Cinema & Media Studies program is one of the most outstanding and underrated programs out there. I...
    • jn0pe
  • Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    I went to Emerson for my undergrad for VMA (Visual media arts, just generally the film program) and...it was a lot of fun, I certainly learned...
    • julia1
  • Temple University - School of Theater, Film and Media Arts
    4.00 star(s)
    I graduated in 2013 and know several recent graduates ( 2017-2019 classes) as well. My personal and their related experiences are the basis for...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Rochester - Film and Media Studies Program
    5.00 star(s)
    I graduated from UofR with a double major in Film and Media Studies and Economics. My experiences at Rochester really shaped my filmmaking career...
    • dkimg21