Northwestern Writing for Screen and Stage Fall 2020

JoanCrawford

By golly, I'm making this thread so that I can provide some basic information about this program. I'm about to have my interview and I don't know what they're going to ask me. I'll update this post about my preparation and interview once it happens.

Hopefully, someone out in the deep blue inter-web might stubble upon this and grace us with more information.

Good luck!

Write a review on the page below based on the interview afterwards if you can. (It can be anonymous)

Northwestern MFA Writing for the Screen and Stage

Northwestern MFA Writing for the Screen and Stage

Our two-year MFA in Writing for the Screen and Stage is founded upon these five principles, principles that have also guided Northwestern's highly

How to Write a Film School Review and Why You Should

How to Write a Film School Review and Why You Should

You don’t have to be a current student or an alum to write a review for a film school! Whether you’re an applicant, interested student, faculty member, current student, or alum, we want to hear from you. Are you currently wondering, “Which film schools should I apply to?” One of the most...

The interview went well, thankfully! Now's just a waiting game--the hardest part of the application process. Here are some specifics about the interview itself:

When I first got the email, they asked for my availability across the span of three different dates. I don't know how many people made it to the interview round, but it seemed like they were able to accommodate for everyone's schedules. I think it implies that there's not too many people in this final round (remember, they're looking to pick a close knit group of 12).

All interviews are about 10 minutes long. I was interviewed by the core faculty of the Writing for Screen and Stage program (three people in total). They are very familiar with your application when you are interviewed. Each faculty member asks you a different question. Their questions were quite in depth and catered to you as a writer, but here are the meat and potatoes of what I was asked:

- What is the purpose of writing and why do you write?
- What are your goals with writing and what are you working on/looking to create?
- What have you seen recently that has impacted you greatly?
- Do you have any questions?

They were focused on your vision as a writer. None of that logistical mumbo jumbo about paying for tuition and what you think about the school. Hope this helps ANYONE. I wish I had info about it prior, so I just want to pay it forward.

Hey, I had my interview on Wednesday and I think it went well. It went 5 minutes over the 10 minute mark so I'm hoping that's a good sign.

I hope so, too! That sounds like a great sign. Good luck to you! I believe acceptances come out in mid-March, but hopefully they come out earlier. We should reconvene when they do!

@Johnathan Johnson I would also urge you to add your application (or applications) to the tracker! There's not enough information about Northwestern on there, and the data has been helpful for interested parties like myself!

@Johnathan Johnson see this for how to add applications:
How to use the Film School Application Database & Tracker

How to use the Film School Application Database & Tracker

Thanks to our many members, the FilmSchool.org Application Database and Tracker consists of over 4,000 applications that date back to 2015, making it one of the most advantageous tools on the website. Its basic function is to track film schools’ rates of acceptance, minimum GPAs, accepted test...

@JoanCrawford I know right, I'm kinda discouraged.
I was a bit discouraged, too. I'm still waiting to hear back from other schools though. I figured that if I don't get into any school that compels me right now, I'll try again next year. I've learned a lot from this process this year that will make me into a better candidate for next year!

Did you apply anywhere else?

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back