NYU Dramatic Writing 2019

Lifeisnoholiday

Hi everyone,
Who applied? Last year they sent out interview invitations in late February. Guess we have a lot of time to chew our nails to the core.

Cody Young

Tattoo/Film Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Already chewing mine to nubs

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member

Cody Young

Tattoo/Film Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I see you have an interview at AFI coming up, as well. Which school would you prefer?
I would probably prefer AFI overall, but with their focus on television as opposed to feature writing for the Screenwriting discipline I’m less enthused with their program than I was at the start of my grad school search. I think NYU has a more multi-faceted approach to Screenwriting which appeals to me. My top four are USC, AFI, NYU, and Columbia, depending on which, if any, of those schools accept me, I will have to take a significant look at all of their curriculums and learning objectives.

Lifeisnoholiday

@Cody Young
I'm also curious in terms of variety that Dramatic Writing offers, but it seems to me that AFI provides screenwriting students with better networking, thanks to their big pitching by the end of the second year. Not to mention the hands-on experience of writing three shorts in your first year.

Lifeisnoholiday

Has anyone heard anything? Ugh the suspense!!!
Nope :(. My application status remains "submitted". I checked the application tracker. Last year, they were sending out the letters in the end of February, but the year before it was the first week of May. And Graduate Film has just sent out their invitations. So I guess we have to wait ¯\(ツ)

EM88

Hi All! I’m somewhat new to the forum. I’ve applied to the dramatic writing program, and the silence is killing me. Does anyone think there’s a chance they’ve sent out interview requests already and no one on here has gotten one? Also, I know for certain programs, interviews are required for acceptance...is that the case for NYU? Thanks!!

Cody Young

Tattoo/Film Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hi All! I’m somewhat new to the forum. I’ve applied to the dramatic writing program, and the silence is killing me. Does anyone think there’s a chance they’ve sent out interview requests already and no one on here has gotten one? Also, I know for certain programs, interviews are required for acceptance...is that the case for NYU? Thanks!!
Hey @EM88 , I definitley think it is possible that no one on this forum got an interview, but do I think that is likely the case? No. Statistically speaking it would be incredibly unlikely for every single person who applied to the dramatic writing program to be rejected without at least an interview. NYU has historically, going off previous years, been late with the interview process in comparison to most other programs, e.g late feb/early march. Now, being that it is almost March, they are either running behind, not doing interviews at all this year (which would be odd), or no one on this site has gotten a request to interview...yet. Out of those three options I think one or two are more likely than three. Also, I’m pretty sure the graduate dramatic writing program doesn’t admit often without an interview

EM88

@Cody Young thank you! I was just going to say I think that makes sense/you’re likely right and then I saw @Kinz ’s post — ah congrats!! Not so relevant now that we know they’re starting to send our requests, but I was going to add that I checked the gradcafe and in the past few years at least a few people have posted their NYU interview requests, but this year no one has (as of yet).

Cody Young

Tattoo/Film Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hey guys! I literally JUST got an email to interview me! So I think they are sending them out today!
Great, now my fingers are crossed for an email :)

Lifeisnoholiday

Yay, just got mine, too! It doesn't address you by name, right? Actually, for the first few moments, I thought it was a scam or something, because of that, lol

Congrats to everyone who received theirs!

Latest Applications

Latest reviews